Can we talk about what are you struggle with the most?

Options

Replies

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    I am a slug. I don't cook and hate to clean (but I like a clean house, so it doesn't get too bad). I get regular exercise and will be adding more walking to my daily routines with the park-far-away strategy and a few others, but at home, I have hours where I do nothing but read. I want to lose weight and change my lifestyle to include fixing healthy meals, but I Just. Hate. Cooking. Don't have a strategy yet to change that, but will be exploring what has worked for others.

Living in a camper right now so can't cook healthy meals.. And motivation to keep walking everyday.. Anyone got good ideas for meals in the microwave?

I like cooking meals in a slow cooker. Takes little time in the kitchen and I have leftovers for a few days.

Slow Cooker Recipes
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Living in a camper right now so can't cook healthy meals.. And motivation to keep walking everyday.. Anyone got good ideas for meals in the microwave?

Frozen veggies and protein. I do that every day for lunch at work and sometimes on the weekends. Pyrex, frozen broccoli, frozen heirloom carrots, frozen heirloom cauliflower and chicken breast. I vary the veggies and the protein. Lots of chicken, sometimes tuna, sometimes beef. Sometimes I add quinoa or beans that I batch cook on the weekends.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not so much a struggle as a frustration, but I've had to cut back on my fitness for a variety of reasons and other life obligations. I've been riding 100+ miles per week the last few years and I've had to cut that in half...so annoying...plus I can't eat as much.
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm just lazy. I joined the gym on Memorial Day and haven't gone once yet. My only exercise lately is the 15 minute walk in the morning and afternoon from the parking garage to my office and back. I need to step up my game but I just don't feel like it. I know from my own history that I do so much better once I incorporate more exercise, it's just a matter of actually doing it.

At least you realize and admits to it, now you gotta put some action and don't waste your gym membership!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just lazy. I joined the gym on Memorial Day and haven't gone once yet. My only exercise lately is the 15 minute walk in the morning and afternoon from the parking garage to my office and back. I need to step up my game but I just don't feel like it. I know from my own history that I do so much better once I incorporate more exercise, it's just a matter of actually doing it.

This is me. I have a treadmill and rower at home. I have to walk past them to get to the couch. Which I do. Every night :lol: I'm on-again-off-again with exercise. I feel better when I do it, but like lots of other self-care activities, it seems to get pushed down on my list of priorities. At 5 pounds above the 'healthy' BMI range, I'm also suffering a bit of 'good enough' syndrome right now. :tired_face:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I struggle with making friends. I just don’t know how to talk to people. My 10 year old son has now told me after a week that he doesn’t like summer camp because he doesn’t have friends there and it makes me so sad because I know how that feels and I don’t want him to deal with that. I keep saying I’m going to make an effort to go out and try to meet people and I never do. I suck.

Oh I'll add this to mine. I am a solid introvert who forces myself to be interested in others. 18 years ago I made the conscious decision to change my behavior and start asking questions and simply talking to strangers. Still to this day this is the most discomforting act, but I've become so practiced that my friends are shocked when I confess this.

The Toastmasters group is an excellent way of flexing this muscle.

What is the toastmaster group?? Lol
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is not over eating. I have been doing much better about it as my waistline shows. But sometimes it just sneaks up on me. A combination of not wanting to waste food, and the fact is tastes good, so I keep eating. Last night, I ate a 6" sub, and started getting full about 2/3rds of the way into it. I didn't want to eat 1/3 of a 6" sub the next day, so I ate the rest. I felt a little overstuffed last night. I'm also a little annoyed I am now full by part of a 6" sub sandwich. Granted, it was loaded, but still. I keep forgetting that I need less food to fuel me then I did 6 months ago. Yes calorie counting helps at least to make sure I'm not eating too many calories. But I can still get over-full on a salad that is within my calorie goal, lol. So I'm really trying to be mindful of how I feel when I eat as opposed to just relying on how many calories I have available. It works a lot of the time.. But not every time. I suppose the win is that I'm not over eating most of the time like I used to. Just sometimes.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I struggle living with the fear of old habits. I've lost almost 45 pounds (woohoo!) by eating reasonably with a calorie deficit. At the same time, I've slowly been rebuilding my fitness which involves running and cycling. Now I'm at a point where I have to eat quite a bit to maintain a slow weight loss.

So what's the problem, right? Wa wa wa...

I struggle with not going for the easy calories - you know, go ahead and have the extra beer, eat a serving of chips, have the cookie. These (not the beer :)) are some of the trigger type foods that led to my obesity. This is not a terrible problem to have and I don't want to sound like one of those, "I can't eat my calories" folks - but the struggle IS real. Knowing how to get an extra 400-500 sensible calories is something I'm working on.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

This is me. I have a treadmill and rower at home. I have to walk past them to get to the couch. Which I do. Every night :lol: I'm on-again-off-again with exercise. I feel better when I do it, but like lots of other self-care activities, it seems to get pushed down on my list of priorities. At 5 pounds above the 'healthy' BMI range, I'm also suffering a bit of 'good enough' syndrome right now. :tired_face:

Oh man, I'm suffering from 'good enough' syndrome right now, 10 pound from a healthy bmi.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Oh man, I'm suffering from 'good enough' syndrome right now, 10 pound from a healthy bmi.

@Dnarules Peeked at your profile. Our stats (and stories) are very similar! I lost 60 pounds in 2012. Gained roughly 45 back and started back here last year at 185. My immediate goal weight is 140. Hovering at 150-151 and knowing these last 10 pounds will take a while!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

@Dnarules Peeked at your profile. Our stats (and stories) are very similar! I lost 60 pounds in 2012. Gained roughly 45 back and started back here last year at 185. My immediate goal weight is 140. Hovering at 150-151 and knowing these last 10 pounds will take a while!

Wow, that is very similar. I lost 54 pounds starting in 2012, and gained it back over several years. Started last August at 194. I am now 155, and stuck :). I know exactly why I'm stuck. I've also decided that maybe going slower is the right choice for now ;).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I struggle with making friends. I just don’t know how to talk to people. My 10 year old son has now told me after a week that he doesn’t like summer camp because he doesn’t have friends there and it makes me so sad because I know how that feels and I don’t want him to deal with that. I keep saying I’m going to make an effort to go out and try to meet people and I never do. I suck.

Oh I'll add this to mine. I am a solid introvert who forces myself to be interested in others. 18 years ago I made the conscious decision to change my behavior and start asking questions and simply talking to strangers. Still to this day this is the most discomforting act, but I've become so practiced that my friends are shocked when I confess this.

The Toastmasters group is an excellent way of flexing this muscle.

What is the toastmaster group?? Lol

https://www.toastmasters.org/

International public speaking organization. I'm sure there's a chapter near you. They have a whole module on introductions and the art of conversation.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    I am a slug. I don't cook and hate to clean (but I like a clean house, so it doesn't get too bad). I get regular exercise and will be adding more walking to my daily routines with the park-far-away strategy and a few others, but at home, I have hours where I do nothing but read. I want to lose weight and change my lifestyle to include fixing healthy meals, but I Just. Hate. Cooking. Don't have a strategy yet to change that, but will be exploring what has worked for others.

I am so with you on the hating cooking, on top of that I am a very fussy eater. If I didn't have a husband to feed I would probably never make meals.
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    crunchy snacks like crackers and rice chips, booze - and ICECREAMMMMMMM. DRRRRRRRR
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been struggling most with sleep. I lie awake and worry and worry and worry. Then I finally drop off and wake up in 2 hours and start the process again. Then I'm like a zombie going through my day and in the evening at home I fall asleep unexpectedly (which can be kind of scary as I did it once with a pot of spaghetti water on the stove to boil.) Then when it's time for bed again, I'm wide awake and the process starts again. It's been going on for several months and I'm so tired of being so tired. Plus it's embarrassing to call appointments and say, "I'm so sorry I'm running a little behind, I fell asleep in front of my computer, I'm on my way."
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I struggle with myself. I self-sabotage myself when I get close to goals I set (169 is the new one). I have never been super calorie restrictive and never lost a ton of weight fast, but lost it nonetheless (280 to 170 now). I am definitely an 'everything in moderation" person and never "all-'in" because I can't live the rest of my life that way. When I do become more restrictive, I notice I get mad at myself (and feel bad) more often for wanting to eat out (and not cook 6/7 days)or I will want to drink wine 2 days of the week instead of one. I get upset that I am not lucky enough to do all these things and continue to lose weight! Then I start maintaining my weight, which isn't bad, but not what I want. I will soon go back to being more diligent, almost hit a new goal and start all over. :|

• CarrieAnnH14
    CarrieAnnH14 Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am currently stuggling with excess skin in my midsection. I have lost 29 pounds since January and am hovering right around 120 pounds. I wear mostly size smalls and size 2's now. But - because the majority of my fat has always been in my tummy - this is where most of my excess skin is. I am 4 ft 11 and a half inches - so super short. So I feel like the rolls show up more on me and I can't hide them. I know that I am a healthy weight now (possibly losing another 5 to 10 pounds though) but when I look in the mirror I still see the same fat person that I have always been. By the way - my profile picture is from a few years ago when I did MFP before gaining most of my loss back. I actually weigh about 5 pounds less now.