Alcohol & Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Im a big drinker. I drink around 4 to 7 vodka and OJs per night which is alot of calories. I started gaining weight ...7 kilos in 3 months. Im 2 weeks sober at the moment and it is not easy to stop because i get alot of enjoyment out of drinking and have now for 9 years. I dont want to stop completely but i need to slow down somehow... and like you im not sure i can cut down to once a week or once a month because once i start the cycle begins followed by the poor food choices i make afterwards. Soo difficult.

Never mind the calories, that amount of alcohol will ruin your health! You were drinking a weeks allocation of alcohol every 2 days, carry on like that and you will kill yourself!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love my booze but in my heart I know I am drinking too much. My goal this week is to stop drinking scotch when I get home (2, 3 oz drinks) and my one or two craft beers after dinner. I will stick with my half bottle of wine though. I just fell into a rut of drinking due to work stress and on the weekend adding about 8 beers daily to the mix. I used to be able to get away with this when I was running 30 miles a week so I am hoping the reduction coupled with more miles will tip the scales for me.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    There is a program out there called "Moderation Management". They have a website, forum, and email listing. They are an alternative to AA for people who want to learn to moderate their drinking. They use this workbook called "Responsible Drinking" and offer tips and discussion on how to live moderately. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to work on the amount they drink but not give it up entirely. Sometimes people try to moderate only to come to the conclusion they will abstain, other times people successfully moderate.

It's not just about weight loss, but for overall health as well.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    goldiejdb wrote: »
    goldiejdb wrote: »
    I am having an extremely difficult time giving up alcohol on my weight loss journey. I have cut back significantly, but some days I binge & it definitely shows on the scale. I also tend to make terrible food choices after drinking.
    Anyone else had or have this issue? Any tips to overcome this? Do you include alcohol in your diet?

So, Update!
    I completely cut off alcohol 7 months ago
    & I have lost 103 lbs since! The benefits of not drinking is amazing!

Wow! Really well done
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My husband and I elected to cut alcohol out entirely. For a short woman 5’4 my calorie intake is quite low. But we have different reasons too as we are trying I have a baby so alcohol just doesn’t fit with us at
    This point. But we do miss having a drink every once in a while. Not as much as I thought though! I hope you can find a good solution for you!