I need motivation to work two jobs , any ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't go into debt buying furniture and stuff. You can buy used nice stuff cheap.
  • dniania
    dniania Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't go into debt buying furniture and stuff. You can buy used nice stuff cheap.

I plan on it !! I honestly just want a nice couch everything else will be used
  • TypingToaster
    TypingToaster Posts: 4,110 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I think if you have to work two jobs to afford the rent, you can't afford the rent and you have an inkling that's true. That's where you hesitation comes from maybe? Maybe look for a shared arrangement to start off with.

I can afford the rent with my full time job alone but for my furniture and things I want in my house i want a second job

Oh I see. That's understandable. If you only work two jobs temporarily that could be tolerable and work out okay. I have some of the same kitchen stuff and even some of the same organizing accessories I bought 20+ and 30+ years ago. I was always glad to have that stuff.

Yeah i just want my first apartment and bedroom to be nice , i don’t know what easy part time jobs i could do other than fast food... i already work in a warehouse so i rather my part time be easy

Have you thought about working from home? There are plenty of places who are hiring remote workers. I have dozens of bookmarks of possible places that I haven't gone through yet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My experience with moving is that we very quickly accumulated stuff. I think it is better to move with the minimum you need to function and then add things here and there over time.

If you are fine with used furnitureand knick knacks you can get some cheap at thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets etc. Family and friends just gave us stuff like a dining table, end tables, desk, rug that they didn't want anymore. We turned down some because we were offered so much. We got a sofa for $45 and a loveseat for $20 that were is great shape. We just put some inexpensive slipcovers over them since they did not match. Better than getting a second job.
  • dniania
    Options
    How did you guys manage to move with bare minimum and still furnish your house while paying rent ?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My first apartment was a fully furnished studio apartment with a a pull down Murphy bed. The kitchen and bathroom was super tiny, but working and being younger I was hardly ever home except to sleep..

You have to be frugal and search for things like living arrangements that will fit your income. Take a few bucks each week and save up each week. I left home at 17, I used baby sitting money I saved for years to get things like cookware, dishes, flat ware before I left home. The only thing I brought from my childhood home was a black and white TV, my clothes and keeps sakes likes photos, years books, etc. (yes that was many moons ago) and I worked full time making min wage and no health insurance, you can do it you have to be creative, you will be amazed at what people throw away, what thrift shops have, there is also 'rent to own' and we have the internet like craigs lists and ebay, etc.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    How did you guys manage to move with bare minimum and still furnish your house while paying rent ?

Saving and waiting. I had a cheap chair from ikea and that's the only living room furniture I had for months. Also a nice couch can set you back a couple grand. Wait for sales.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You could just do a little bit at a time. I'm in the midst of a project on my backyard doing just that. I had a little bit of money for my tax return and put in a succulent garden. Then I saved a little bit more and put in some stepping stones on one side of the patio. Then got a little bit more and put in some more stepping stones on the other side of the patio. I'm still not finished, but when it's don't it will look lovely and be just what I wanted.
  • TypingToaster
    TypingToaster Posts: 4,110 Member
    Options

You might also want to look up on Craigslist of people who are giving things away for free, or selling things at a low price. There are also a few apps for local buying, selling and trading that you could check out. With all of that being said, it is wiser to keep to a budget and there are a few sites that can help with that.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    How is your current living situation? Sometimes it is wiser to live at home with parents and save money rather than live paycheck to paycheck on your own. If you really want to move out, then others have given great suggestions. What about driving for Uber or Lift on the side? You could also have a roommate to make things more affordable.
  • dniania
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    How is your current living situation? Sometimes it is wiser to live at home with parents and save money rather than live paycheck to paycheck on your own. If you really want to move out, then others have given great suggestions. What about driving for Uber or Lift on the side? You could also have a roommate to make things more affordable.

I’m helping my mom with bills right now but honestly it’s a long story...
  • dniania
    Options
    I help my mom out a lot but i still don’t get the freedom i want as a 21 year old and I’m getting tired of it, i could see if i didn’t have a job/car/being lazy but i have those things and i work hard but i think it’s time for me to be on my own... i have a 23 year old sister who i wanted to move in with but she doesn’t work so I’m stuck doing it alone
  • dniania
    Options

I was going to use my income tax money for my move out money since i got back $2300 but my mom needed the money so now I’m starting from scratch again... and i have nothing saved I’ve just been buying little things for my place
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I was going to use my income tax money for my move out money since i got back $2300 but my mom needed the money so now I’m starting from scratch again... and i have nothing saved I’ve just been buying little things for my place

This makes me wonder if your mom is on her way back to being self sufficient? Or will she have more money troubles once you leave? And if so, will you take her in if that happens and be right back to where you are now, just in a different house?
  • dniania
    Options

This makes me wonder if your mom is on her way back to being self sufficient? Or will she have more money troubles once you leave? And if so, will you take her in if that happens and be right back to where you are now, just in a different house?

She probably will have a lot of money troubles it’s 11 people in my house and only two of us are working
  • dniania
    Options
    I stated in another thread it’s a three bedroom house i sleep on a couch , it’s 11 people including my grandmother who can’t properly walk. My dad helps with majority of the bills... i help with the smal bills and my sisters and brothers
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

She probably will have a lot of money troubles it’s 11 people in my house and only two of us are working

Yeah, if you have not you probably need to do some soul searching about that situation too. If I am not mistaken it sounds like moving out will make it more difficult to help them. Are you ok with that? ( I am not asking you to go into detail or answer here unless you want to, I realize it is an intensly personal question. Just wanted to bring it up in case you were pushing it aside)
  • dniania
    Options
    It’s like if i move out then i don’t know who’s going to help with my smaller siblings ... my dad does the majority bills i help more so with the littles ones, making sure they have breakfast for school, soap,washing powder i pay the cable bill, and buy them clothes when new ones are needed... i feel awful for leaving them...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    It’s like if i move out then i don’t know who’s going to help with my smaller siblings ... my dad does the majority bills i help more so with the littles ones, making sure they have breakfast for school, soap,washing powder i pay the cable bill, and buy them clothes when new ones are needed... i feel awful for leaving them...

It is definitely a tough situation. Just make sure you are truly honest with yourself while you are making your decision. Sometimes it is easy to think "hypothetically I will do/feel/handle something a certain way" but it may be hard to hold to it when reality is staring you in the face. Just take the time you need to decide what to do and make sure you are totally comfortable, once you get locked into a lease it's a commitment you can't get out of easily.