My first year with MyFitnessPal - From 250 to 150 lbs

zomboden
zomboden Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2018 in Success Stories
I started MyFitnessPal in June last year while unemployed sitting in a trailer in rural West Virginia. I had no goals, I had been out of High School for 2 years and I was 250 pounds. I weighed the most I had ever weighed in my entire life. I was never "skinny" but at the rate I was going, 300 was a real possibility. I play video games in my free time, so as you can imagine I was the stereotypical fat gamer.

I would make family size lasagna's for myself for dinner. I would smother them in cheese. Cover them in generic doritos. I would have two cups of ramen on the side. While drinking a whole 2 liter a day. I was misinformed by the people around me. They told me being fat was just genetic and that my metabolism was slow so it didn't matter what I ate. But I saw stories about people losing weight so I knew it had to be possible. My real motivator was that I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath, or having a slight panic moment because I thought my heart would stop. It was not a good situation for me. I don't know if this was related to the weight but its stopped and I'm glad.

I discovered calorie counting, and by default that brought me to MyFitnessPal. I started counting calories on purely junk food. I would be so hungry I would have to drink bottled water to keep myself from eating more. (1800 calories on ramen doesn't go very far.) I know this wasn't an ideal diet but I didn't have financial options for anything healthier at the time. After about 6 months of eating junk food and counting calories I had lost about 60 pounds. I was down to around 220-230 when I moved back to the city and that's when I started walking.

We moved to the city in August of last year. At 220ish I already weighed the least that I had in memory. I don't even think I was 220ish in middle school. The weight loss slowed down at this point. I was started working at McDonalds and walking in my free time. The combination of standing at McDonalds and walking 2-3 miles a day helped keep the weight loss coming despite the slow down.

I reached 190/180 around Nov/Dec last year. Working at McDonalds and walking really sped this up. I had to start buying new clothes because my old 2xl/3xl and 38 inch waist jeans wouldn't fit me anymore. I was frustrated at this point because I still had a slight double chin.

I quit McDonalds in January and started working at Walmart in February. I was on the remodel team so we did a lot of physical labor. It helped speed up my weight loss as well. I still work there as a cashier to this day. Since being hired at Walmart and keeping my calorie goal around 2000-2100 a day (maintaining but not really because I do light activity. So more or less just losing very slowly so I keep as much muscle as possible). I'm trying to maintain but 140 would be a good starting point for me to start building muscle on these bones.

Weighing in today was 150.6 pounds. Ultimately I did some things wrong. I lost my weight too quickly (especially in the first 6 months) and ended up losing muscle mass as well. (A few people warned me about this.) I mostly ate junk food my entire time losing weight due to a lack of healthy foods being brought into my house. I could have potentially bought healthy foods but again this is another thing I didn't do ideally.

I've started looking into weights, weight lifting equipment, and different high intense workouts and the diets that are associated with them (such as lots of protein and watching carbs.) I'm planning on starting to build muscle around October and have a 5 year plan to get up to around 200 lbs with muscle weight. I don't know how well it will work out but its the next step in my fitness story.

If anyone has any questions let me know. I'll leave you with some pictures.
Disclaimer: I went from a 38 inch waist to 30. I went from wearing 2xl to wearing medium and small.
Before you look at these pics you should know that I am by no means "fit". I am partly skinny fat with loose skin.

The pics kept uploading too big so I put them in an imgur album.
https://imgur.com/a/6rJKjAF

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Congratulations! Awesome job!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Very impressive! Thank you for sharing your story. What a great job and best of luck going forward.
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Wow! You look incredible! Congrats on your success!!!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Very inspiring!
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Great job!!
  • Piklad
    Piklad Posts: 10 Member
    You did great. Awesome job!
  • christinedlg50
    christinedlg50 Posts: 138 Member
    You are amazing! What an inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing and being available for questions. Bravo!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Amazing transformation! Well done!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    This is one of the more inspiring success stories I’ve read here. Congratulations to you. That is just fantastic.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Perfection is not anyone's ability but we all do the best be can with the cards we have been dealt....you being one! Take pride and carry on to better health and happiness!
    You are a winner in my book :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    You did great with what you had. Don't reduce the value of your success because it wasn't exactly how you think it should have been. You look amazing!
  • rhps1984
    rhps1984 Posts: 2 Member
    Awesome job congratulations :)
  • wannabesmaller2017
    wannabesmaller2017 Posts: 433 Member
    Awesome!! You look great!! Your story is very inspiring, thank you for sharing.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Congrats to you and best wishes going forward. Very inspiring for us all.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Wow...you really turned yourself around!! You should be very proud of your hard work & progress! It's extremely inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Well done, well done. Lots of life you have given yourself, your older self will thank the younger you. Very glad for you! You are a very handsome young man! Enjoy life!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Fantastic! Great results for all of your hard work!
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Awesome work, you have fought a great fight since you started your journey. Keep at it, you clearly have the determination to reach your goals.
  • Laces918
    Laces918 Posts: 36 Member
    GREAT WORK!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!