• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    oootto92 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

But yeah that would put her in a starvation mode so she would propably be just better off doing water fasting to avoid that and keep that 127 lbs of lean masswhile burning the fat.

LOL. What now?

a) Starvation mode doesn't exist.
    b) Water fasting in lieu of eating is just plain stupid.

Oh, and you forgot - if too few calories equals 'starvation mode' how does a water fast (i.e. zero calories) not equal the same thing?!?!?

When you are on a regular caloric restriction diet and eat a deficit your body adapts to that deficit. This happens by lowering you metabolic rate and reducing musclemass. This is a well known fact. When you water fast for a longer period of time the body does the opposite and the metabolic rate raises up to 22% due to the increase in noradrenaline levels after 3 days. After 4 days your body stops with the gluconeogenesis since you are in gull keto and starts to use your own fat storages to fuel you. Your hgh levels rest at 5 times at 5 day mark protecting your muscle and helping the lipolysis. This way your body gets 95% of its energy from fat and only 5% from muscle.iokanntd9hh1.png

What is your source for this (not the AT, the rest of the stuff about fasting)?

The complete guide to fasting - Jason fung. You can find some of his lectures and interviews on YouTube and I recommend checking them out.

Oh--oh.......
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If she has 60lbs of fat she can easily go on 2000kcals deficit without even losing muscle, so don't sweat it. Your body can use about ~35kcals per lb of body fat (74kcals/Kg) without having to break down muscle when on a caloric restriction diet that includes resistance training.

But yeah that would put her in a starvation mode so she would propably be just better off doing water fasting to avoid that and keep that 127 lbs of lean masswhile burning the fat.

:noway:
    This is just so much no all in one place.

OP, this "medical centre" is likely banking on a few things. 1) Your friend paid good money and is expecting quick results, they are pushing what gets fast results (not healthy). 2) People are notoriously bad at counting calories and they know her 900 is probably going to be at least 1200 (most likely). 3) If she fails at this, she will blame herself and not them, so she will be more likely to keep paying them.

all of this. ↑
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

LOL. What now?

Oh, and you forgot - if too few calories equals 'starvation mode' how does a water fast (i.e. zero calories) not equal the same thing?!?!?

When you are on a regular caloric restriction diet and eat a deficit your body adapts to that deficit. This happens by lowering you metabolic rate and reducing musclemass. This is a well known fact. When you water fast for a longer period of time the body does the opposite and the metabolic rate raises up to 22% due to the increase in noradrenaline levels after 3 days. After 4 days your body stops with the gluconeogenesis since you are in gull keto and starts to use your own fat storages to fuel you. Your hgh levels rest at 5 times at 5 day mark protecting your muscle and helping the lipolysis. This way your body gets 95% of its energy from fat and only 5% from muscle.iokanntd9hh1.png

The complete guide to fasting - Jason fung. You can find some of his lectures and interviews on YouTube and I recommend checking them out.

Well, that explains it. Fung's a quack.

Care to elaborate why you think a doctor healing people with level 2 diabetes for a living is a quack? Wanna make a solid argument and not resort to name calling like a child?

Because type 2 diabetes is a chronic illness, and by its very definition cannot be cured/healed. You can go into remission if you *constantly* maintain certain nutritional levels, or go on medication, but you cannot cure it.

Anyone who claims you can cure diabetes is a shoddy practitioner.

Further, if you were "healed" you could go back to eating whatever you like. instead of following the Fung diet forever.

So, not a cure, maybe a non-pharmaceutical treatment.

Yup. Just edited to add that in. ;)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

LOL. What now?

Care to elaborate why you think a doctor healing people with level 2 diabetes for a living is a quack? Wanna make a solid argument and not resort to name calling like a child?

Apparently Fung tells his wife all the time he might be a quack.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10675505/nusi-circling-the-drain

That's actually Taubes, not Fung.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just read Taubes and Fung. Slowly backing out of this thread lol

:smiley:
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    I have seen on that extreme weight loss show (where participants are trying to qualify for weight loss surgery - is it “my 600 pound life”?) that the doc will put his patients on a medically supervised diet of about 900 calories a day, and it’s supposed to be just protein and veggies. But those people are generally 500+ pounds, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually stick to the 900 calories.

So I guess it’s possible that a medical centre is recommending 900 calories...but whether they “should” or not is totally beyond me.

I watch this show and every episode I have seen he puts them on a 1200 calorie diet - never heard him say 900 calories/day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

LOL. What now?

Apparently Fung tells his wife all the time he might be a quack.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10675505/nusi-circling-the-drain

That's actually Taubes, not Fung.

Oops, having problems keeping track of quacks. Thanks!

It's tough, when they are duck walking in circles. :laugh: