Thoughts?

2»

Replies

• Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I sure most people here have read this article, but I am interested on the takes on this ladies maintenance.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2012/01/06/tara-parker-pope-do-you-have-to-be-superhuman-to-lose-weight

Without the study to understand what how they dieted I have no clue. We don't know much but my educated guess would be

1. Lack of skills needed to go back to a normal life style. They didn't learn intuitive eating, how eat "unhealthy" foods (I dislike this word as food is just a source of energy, you can't cheat death by eating clean.)

2. Losing weight didn't have any positive social benefits. Some people aren't happy with themselves and would rather make you feel bad than make changes. (People have told me I looked like I started shooting up heroin when I lost weight)

3. Losing weight was overhyped as some magical life changer. You might feel better and look better but besides living longer not much changes.

4. Eating is enjoyable and the taboos of over eating are not addressed. I see this one a lot some people make dieting a moral identity when it is just a period of their life. Feeling guilty after overeating or eating candy doesn't do anything but create unneeded stress.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I'm one of the people in the National Weight Loss Study. That's where those numbers come from that says that most people regain all the weight they lost. To get into the study you have to have lost at least 30 pounds and have maintained that loss for a year.

For that successful group of folk, 65% regained most of their weight within 4 years. That's depressing. OTOH, before I started losing, I read what the people who did succeed. That's 35% of people - and I wanted to be in it. I followed their advice.

It's what you'd expect. They eat regularly and don't snack. They exercise (at least walk) an hour five days a week. They watch what they eat, don't eat a lot of fast food, log their food or track it some other way. They have changed their eating habits so they maintain 'naturally'. They don't diet.

I did that. I am one of their successful maintainers. I find it easy but not effortless. It is not the focus of my life. It's a habit, like brushing my teeth. I had a sudden weight gain when I got sick in January. I just dropped it without changing my calories by changing my macros (whole30 on doctor recommendation). I can't tell you how much better I felt once I was back in my range.

You can join too! Qualifying for the study was one of my non-scale goals. You get a survey once a year and I really do think about making sure I am still in range when that survey is coming.

I actually have the paper work..... just not sure if I want to join.. just in case I fail.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I agree. They need to know what works or what doesn't. But I find it motivating. Just do it. Just getting into it is a victory.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Neiross1 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I sure most people here have read this article, but I am interested on the takes on this ladies maintenance.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2012/01/06/tara-parker-pope-do-you-have-to-be-superhuman-to-lose-weight

3. Losing weight was overhyped as some magical life changer. You might feel better and look better but besides living longer not much changes.

Overhyped? Hmmmmm. Nothing magical, just that you look better, feel better, and live longer. But not much changes. Wow- I’d say that that is pretty magical. I’d say losing weight might be underhyped (if that were even a word). Interesting take that article had.