NuSI circling the drain

Options
2»

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    LOL. - I read all that and in the end paraphrased it to - “I can eat a cookie”

Cookies for us all!

IKR!?!?!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Who would have ever thought that a journalist, who wanted to play scientist, theories didn't pan out?

He sold lots of books, made lots of money and fooled lots of people with his derp. I guess the former two were really his end goal - especially the second.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    A proper scientist does the study and learns from it. They dont have expectations, only questions to be answered.

Taubes had neither and only wanted to see what he wanted to see in all things. Not a scientist at all.
  • terryritter1
    terryritter1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you are directing this at me.

Yeah, I did quote you. I'm don't mean to direct that particularly at you. Sorry. I was just highlighting the general human habit we all have. Please forgive me for making that look like it's an issue with you. It is not.

I don't think Taubes was only willing to accept one theory. I think he wanted a good study design, which, in his mind, didn't happen. For that reason, most scientist would not be good with just giving up on their hypothesis. One could make that argument about many scientist (including Hall). And, the run-in diet was a huge mistake. That happens. I don't think Hall tried to make that work like it did. However, the point of the study was caloric balance before the diet. That was a study design objective. If it doesn't happen, that's a flaw and confounder for the study. No ways around that.

A scientist is someone that seeks truth in science. That can be a writer. Look at the guys credentials for science, and his research. I'm just trying to make a point that you don't have to work in a lab or occupy an ivory tower to be a "scientist". Eminence over evidence is an issue in both nutritional science and medicine today.

All scientist have expectations....it's called a hypothesis. You have to be able to divorce yourself from them when viewing the results, though. I believe that's the point you are trying to make, and I agree.

The other important thing is that Taubes wasn't the only one that had an issue with various things. Not trying to pick sides, but just highlighting he wasn't alone.