HOW TO GAIN WEIGHT

Options
I’ve been eating such a large amount of food high in protein and fat but can’t gain weight I want to bulk up so bad but I’ve tried everything I can think of can anyone help

I’m about 140 but I wanna be 180

Replies

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough, you need to eat more than you burn to gain weight. Few posts on here about how to add a lot more calories if you struggle to eat enough.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating such a large amount of food high in protein and fat but can’t gain weight I want to bulk up so bad but I’ve tried everything I can think of can anyone help

I’m about 140 but I wanna be 180

It's all about calories, not individual macros. It's simple you must eat more than you burn. If you haven't gained weight, that means you're not eating enough.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What is a "large amount" of food? Are you tracking calories, and are you eating in a calorie surplus?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough - end of story. I've seen this a million times, you might think you are eating allot but it's not compared to what you need to do in order to gain weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and peanut butter! Yay!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, I think that - generally speaking - most everyone would agree with the following:

1. Protein would be roughly 0.8g/lb - 1.2g/lbs. of body weight.
    2. Fat would be roughly 0.35g/lb of body weight.
    3. Carbs - the rest.

Now, I contend that the above numbers should be of lean muscle mass (vs. body weight). But that is the very general guideline.

Again - "generally speaking" is the disclaimer. Not for everyone. Some people have special needs, have special medical conditions, have ailments that might necessitate something different from the above guidelines.

So, I am pretty sure that 70g of Protein for someone weighing 140lbs - all things being equal - does not quite measure up.
  • oootto92
    oootto92 Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    oootto92 wrote: »
    ...At 140lbs you don't need more than 70g of protein to achieve maximum hypertrophy...

The what now?

Where do you get that idea? Because it certainly isn't consistent with any current research I've seen.

I'd really like to see your source for the claim that eating more than 1g/Kg of body weight is beneficial for promoting muscle hypertrophy in natural athlete that is already eating caloric surplus.

His problem is not getting enough protein, its getting enough calories and staring at protein intake when he should be just stuffing his face is not not beneficial.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ...At 140lbs you don't need more than 70g of protein to achieve maximum hypertrophy...

The what now?

Where do you get that idea? Because it certainly isn't consistent with any current research I've seen.

I'd really like to see your source for the claim that eating more than 1g/Kg of body weight is beneficial for promoting muscle hypertrophy in natural athlete that is already eating caloric surplus.

His problem is not getting enough protein, its getting enough calories and staring at protein intake when he should be just stuffing his face is not not beneficial.

70g is way too little protein, he needs at minimum 112g of protein if he weighs 140 lbs. Many research points to a minimum of 0,8g/lb of bodyweight. What you are suggesting is 0,5g/lb of bodyweight, no clue where you got that info.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    make a peanutbutter smoothie. lol seriously xD
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Are you sure you aren't getting your 1g/lb mixed up with 1g/kg?

Daily protein intake averaged 1.5 and 1.4g/kg/d in male and female athletes, respectively (likely a bit more due to underreporting). Current recommendations are 1.3-1.8g/kg/d.

Source:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

We can start here, with a study conducted by Eric Helms: https://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/abs/10.1123/ijsnem.2013-0054
    Conclusions:

Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3–3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

We can start here, with a study conducted by Eric Helms: https://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/abs/10.1123/ijsnem.2013-0054
    Conclusions:

Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3–3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.

Your study is looking at athletes in a calorific deficit - the OP is looking for a calorific surplus.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    How much calories are you talking? 5000+?? Add MCT oil to shakes, start eating earlier and keep eating later. You need to work as hard at eating as you do lifting.