Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Air Plane seats

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Y'all have nothing to complain about until you fly Space Available on a poorly sound-insulated C-5 in which the sets are set in backwards and the plane makes three approaches to each airport before landing and then strands you in Alaska for three days (none of which was disclosed before boarding) :lol:

However, it did only cost $10 so there's that.

LOL. were each of those 3 approaches standard or combat profile? :) Love me some combat profile landings.

Not sure a big cargo plane like the C-5 can even do a combat profile :dizzy:

UH Yeah! HAWSOME!!! Sort of exciting coming into Bagram. Not so much coming into Dover.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Y'all have nothing to complain about until you fly Space Available on a poorly sound-insulated C-5 in which the sets are set in backwards and the plane makes three approaches to each airport before landing and then strands you in Alaska for three days (none of which was disclosed before boarding) :lol:

However, it did only cost $10 so there's that.

LOL. were each of those 3 approaches standard or combat profile? :) Love me some combat profile landings.

Not sure a big cargo plane like the C-5 can even do a combat profile :dizzy:

Oh she can. It's quite a sight to see a C-5's JATOs in action.
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Deregulation wasn't the primary issue causing TWA to move hubs....this was a direct result from disastrous St. Louis anti-business politics.

The article is about a lot more than the airlines, but the rest would be off topic for this thread. I didn't interpret it as saying that deregulation caused TWA to change hubs. My reading was that deregulation allowed the restructuring and mergers. At first, that was even good for the connectivity of St. Louis, when TWA bought Ozark and TWA made St. Louis a hub. But when American bought TWA and decided to move the hub to Chicago, St. Louis lost flights, because the three airlines were now just one, and that one changed its hub.

I'm no expert in St. Louis politics. If you have any articles you'd recommend or personal perspectives, I'd be interested in reading more.

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    lmsaa wrote: »

Deregulation wasn't the primary issue causing TWA to move hubs....this was a direct result from disastrous St. Louis anti-business politics.

The article is about a lot more than the airlines, but the rest would be off topic for this thread. I didn't interpret it as saying that deregulation caused TWA to change hubs. My reading was that deregulation allowed the restructuring and mergers. At first, that was even good for the connectivity of St. Louis, when TWA bought Ozark and TWA made St. Louis a hub. But when American bought TWA and decided to move the hub to Chicago, St. Louis lost flights, because the three airlines were now just one, and that one changed its hub.

I'm no expert in St. Louis politics. If you have any articles you'd recommend or personal perspectives, I'd be interested in reading more.

One merely has to look at the loss of Fortune 500 HQ and two NFL football teams to get an idea that business and others are leaving STL

I am so glad I stopped frequent flying in 2000.
  • ian4239316
    ian4239316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can always buy an extra seat for personal comfort. I fly business but even then I have to ask for an extension seatbelt!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    lmsaa wrote: »

One merely has to look at the loss of Fortune 500 HQ and two NFL football teams to get an idea that business and others are leaving STL

I am so glad I stopped frequent flying in 2000.

I'm not familiar with St. Louis politics. Is there a specific anti-business political stance that is unique to the city?

It seems a number of the HQ departures are due to mergers with other companies with headquarters in larger cities or moves to cities that have been giving generous tax incentives to attract corporate relocations. Were the companies really driven out, or did St. Louis just decide it wasn't worth participating in the race to the bottom? Just look at the Amazon HQ2 contest, do you think the city that wins that will ever see the ROI against the incentives they put on the table?

As far as NFL teams are concerned, given the history of team owners extorting bigger and glitzier stadiums from cities at taxpayer expense, is it more because the St. Louis city government refused to put their taxpayers on the hook for something that should be paid for by the NFL? Or were the other cities bigger markets and far more generous to the teams at their own taxpayers' expense?

I'm not saying there isn't a trend, I'm just wondering if it indicates a business unfriendly city or one that doesn't put their taxpayers on the hook and end up losing the HQ anyway to the next merger or city that dangles more free stuff in a couple of years.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    STL is slow to change.

Oh, I agree with not selling out taxpayers by making promises of their money.

Regarding mergers, the question is why isn't the companies HQ'ed in STL not buying others and keep the HQ here?

I think it goes back to the slow adoption of railroads in St Louis (which was bigger than Chicago in the mid 19th century) and the Civil War which damaged railroads, that ultimately made Chicago the transportation hub that St Louis was on track, pardon the pun, to be before they were dragging their feet and slow to adopt and allow change.

And it's not much different today.

So it's not really anti-business as much as it's slow to adopt change.

Sometimes that's good. Sometimes that's bad.

Seems in the modern era, it's more bad than good.
  • lmsaa
    Options
    The article does not blame St. Louis. It explains how federal anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws were important in the establishment of the very successful local economy and how that changed from about the 1980s on when Regan changed guidelines and enforcement. Regional equity and local control were removed from consideration, and a period of acquisition of local businesses by larger, more distant corporations began. The advertising industry had been particularly successful in St. Louis, and the article shows how that went downhill. This is off topic, though, from the size of airline seats.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    This has been interesting reading. I used to fly often but now I'm retired so I just fly a couple of times a year. I always book Economy Plus for flights of five or more hours. I have an issue that can contribute to blood clots so I get up and walk at least every two hours. My next flight will involve a non-stop from Houston to Sydney, Australia which will be at least 16 hours. When I look at the seat map, the regular economy seats are almost full but the Economy Plus ones are half booked at this point. Many are choosing to endure a long flight in tighter conditions than pay for the upgrade to Economy Plus.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The way my life is, we've found that my long ago decision to collect airline miles with a credit card in view of a "someday" trip turns out to work pretty good as an annual short wedding anniversary trip to some town within a day's drive to a hotel paid with those miles. It appears that I have quite a lot of choices within a day's drive of Dallas.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Since I flew often, I accumulated frequent flier miles which I banked to use on expensive flights. The trick to using frequent flier miles so that you get the flights you want at the number of minimum miles is to book early; otherwise, the cheapest redemption will end up being several connections and extended flight time. Right now, the flights I booked from Columbus to Houston and then to Sydney are going for twice the number of miles I used. I have never had problem using miles for the flights I wanted. I went to England this spring using miles.

With using miles for the Australia trip, the cost of the economy plus seats were around $700 round trip. I put money aside each month for future trips, so the cost is manageable. You would be surprised how impulse purchases not made or that coffee out can add up over time, a total that can be applied for a "splurge.' The cost right now, if the same ticket was purchased, the cost of the economy ticket (refundable) would be $2100 and that is a refundable ticket with a fee for changing the ticket. When it comes to a bucket list trip, that is a ticket that isn't too extreme provided savings start early. When I last went to Sydney ten years ago, I paid $1600 for a ticket with a double connection and was about ten hours longer because of sitting in airports during connections.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    So in your people's opinion was my comment rude?

Not at all!! You were very nice.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Try fitting in a Chinese domestic airline seat :smiley:

oalyarxknl4o.jpg

I'm feeling anxious, short of breath and imagining the onset of abrupt, panic induced diarrhea from just looking at this cluster.

This is United and American airlines!! It pisses me off because my husband and i pay extra now for economy plus just to get some freaking leg room!!! I am 5'9" and my husband is 6'2". We both have very long legs!

My son is 6'5". If I book a flight for him I get the Coach plus. Luckily i have enough miles to get that upgrade free when I fly to China.
  • lmsaa
    Options
    Update: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/faa-declines-to-put-a-stop-to-the-incredible-shrinking-airline-seat-2018-07-09
    "...The FAA was ordered to address the “case of the incredible shrinking airline seat” by a judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 2017. On Friday, the regulatory agency responded to that order by ruling that seat shrinkage does not, in fact, affect consumer safety, so the FAA won’t be setting limits on legroom or seat width...

Besides being uncomfortable, the shrinking seats threaten the ability to evacuate a plane within 90 seconds, an FAA requirement, said Paul Hudson, president of FlyersRights.org. He said “the only likely recourse is for the traveling public is by overwhelming public outcry.”

“The FAA says that it has seen no evidence that passenger size, age or physical capacity effects evacuation time because it refuses to do testing that actually reflects the current passenger population and shrunken seats and aisle widths in any realistic way,” Hudson said.

The organization is suggesting consumers file complaints on Regulations.gov, send in videos of passenger experiences to Flyersrights.org, and contact their Congress members...

There may still be a chance seat size will be addressed in the coming year, however. The U.S. Department of Transportation’s inspector general Calvin Scovel announced a review of the FAA’s evacuation standard in June, responding to requests from the House Transportation Committee. He noted that modern planes have more seats, larger passengers, and more carry-on bags, making a review necessary."