i have 5 weeks and counting! HELP ME

Options
hey y’all! my parents and i are going to jamaica in august, and have about 5 weeks left. i’ve been struggling with weight my whole life! :( i am 5 ft 3in. and the most i’ve weighed was 195. now i am down to 178! but unfortunately have hit a bump! my overall goal weight is 130-140. i know i cannot achieve that in a short time period, but i want to get as close as possible! if you have any tips, tricks, or anything that worked for you please share and help a girl out

Replies

• Jenp789
    Jenp789 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start a challenge with a competitive friend over the next few week. Make a small wager or reward. I do that with a couple of friends (we are all on MFP) when I need a little kick start or get lazy with tracking. Right now I am doing a 30 day challenge and we each put $1 per day in. We have to have a minimum of 20 min cardio per day and track all meals/snacks each day. The person who tracks the most day wins. Good luck!
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Before anyone can help, outside of encouraging words, we need to know what you are doing now to lose weight.

5 weeks, if you're just starting off expect to lose perhaps 10-15lbs at most- and 5lbs+ of that will be water weight. That is if you eat at a max recommended deficit.

Is that going to be enough to make you happy? It'll be better to do what you can but prepare yourself to be confident and pleased with yourself now, and at whatever weight you are in 5 weeks. Good luck!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    There aren't any tips or tricks, just a calorie deficit. If you're not doing any strength training, starting some now may help with body composition. Check out these threads https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    hey y’all! my parents and i are going to jamaica in august, and have about 5 weeks left. i’ve been struggling with weight my whole life! :( i am 5 ft 3in. and the most i’ve weighed was 195. now i am down to 178! but unfortunately have hit a bump! my overall goal weight is 130-140. i know i cannot achieve that in a short time period, but i want to get as close as possible! if you have any tips, tricks, or anything that worked for you please share and help a girl out

Best tip I can give you is to enjoy Jamaica.

Don't bring along extra baggage (such as worry about your weight). Start your healthy processes today and have fun when you go. The healthy processes you need to work into your life (weighing and tracking your food for fat loss, moving more for aerobic fitness, and lifting for body shape) should last from now on. Don't rush. Just start. Deadlines are traps to help people quit. Don't let that sabotage the desire to make meaningful changes.

Oh, and @bufger is right. Lifting will change your life.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, you are beautiful at the size you are right now. You can lose a little weight before Jamaica, but even if you don't - have fun, wear flattering clothes for your current size (not too small, wear clothes that fit) and enjoy the absolute paradise.

Just eat reasonably until then, don't make yourself sick right before a trip. :)There is no need to beat yourself up. We are all different!
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Learn to get over "the hungries". Its hard, but you can control wanting to eat when you don't need to. You really can get on a routine and stick to it long term. Go back to the basics, and don't make things complicated. I have your same statistics right now. Exactly, except for the age. I am so happy to be at 178 in five weeks from 198. It is a lot of weight loss fast, so you have been sticking to some kind of plan. Hey, Jamaica isn't all about food. You just think it is. Tell yourself that you aren't going to change you eating on that trip. You don't have to. You can still eat within your calories. You know how much it is by now. Cravings are just in your mind. You have to control that to be successful long term. You are in your right mind, and your body is just a vessel. It doesn't have to control you. Hope that makes sense.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Just stay at a deficit to lose weight. Drink plenty of water, get good sleep, incorporate cardio & strength training. That's it, every "diet" that works, works because you're eating at a deficit. The problem I have with "diets" is what happens when you reach your "goal".... Unless that diet is permanently sustainable, most people go back to thier "normal" eating habits, which were the habits that led them to needing to lose weight.

One actual trick in which you will look thinner (LOOK, not will be): incorporate stength training. While you won't actually be lighter or gain any substantial muscle mass (especially in 5 weeks), the strength training will make you just a bit stronger and you'll end up with better natural posture: better posture will make someone appear leaner simply because of how you sit and stand.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

So you want to drop 40 lbs in 5 weeks? Sorry to burst your bubble, but it ain't going to happen, you're asking to drop an average of 8 lbs per week, not only is that unrealistic, but it's completely dangerous and stupid. Be happy with those 17 lbs you lost, keep going and drop down your expectation. Health > Super fast weight loss. If you've been losing 1-2 lbs per week, then you're already doing a good job.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

So you want to drop 40 lbs in 5 weeks? Sorry to burst your bubble, but it ain't going to happen, you're asking to drop an average of 8 lbs per week, not only is that unrealistic, but it's completely dangerous and stupid. Be happy with those 17 lbs you lost, keep going and drop down your expectation. Health > Super fast weight loss. If you've been losing 1-2 lbs per week, then you're already doing a good job.

OP did say "I know I cannot achieve that in a short time period". I think the message was more about how close she could get before the holiday, not expecting to lose 40lbs.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Paleo_Babe wrote: »
    LOTS of water and LOTS of sleep! It regulates your hormones and makes all the other stuff, like diet and exercise wayyyy easier!

Good luck!

How much sleep is "LOTS"?
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels 30 day shred when I want to see a difference quickly, with 5 weeks you could do all 30 days and a couple weeks of ripped in 30. That and watching your calories is my best advice.