HOW TO GAIN WEIGHT

Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein is much more important in a deficit than a surplus, in a surplus calories and carbs are king. Protein is muscle sparing, but in a surplus you don't need to spare muscle.

That said, I usually eat the same grams of protein bulking or cutting, for cutting I tend to lower carbs a fair bit, and fat a little.
  • erickirb
    edited June 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    oootto92 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...At 140lbs you don't need more than 70g of protein to achieve maximum hypertrophy...

The what now?

Where do you get that idea? Because it certainly isn't consistent with any current research I've seen.

I'd really like to see your source for the claim that eating more than 1g/Kg of body weight is beneficial for promoting muscle hypertrophy in natural athlete that is already eating caloric surplus.

His problem is not getting enough protein, its getting enough calories and staring at protein intake when he should be just stuffing his face is not not beneficial.

70g is way too little protein, he needs at minimum 112g of protein if he weighs 140 lbs. Many research points to a minimum of 0,8g/lb of bodyweight. What you are suggesting is 0,5g/lb of bodyweight, no clue where you got that info.

I think studies do suggest that the maximum beneficial protein intake is 0.82g / kg - anything above that is unnecessary.

most likely that max benefit is in a surplus or maintenance, as in a deficit, more than that may be beneficial
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    ...At 140lbs you don't need more than 70g of protein to achieve maximum hypertrophy...

The what now?

Where do you get that idea? Because it certainly isn't consistent with any current research I've seen.

I'd really like to see your source for the claim that eating more than 1g/Kg of body weight is beneficial for promoting muscle hypertrophy in natural athlete that is already eating caloric surplus.

His problem is not getting enough protein, its getting enough calories and staring at protein intake when he should be just stuffing his face is not not beneficial.

70g is way too little protein, he needs at minimum 112g of protein if he weighs 140 lbs. Many research points to a minimum of 0,8g/lb of bodyweight. What you are suggesting is 0,5g/lb of bodyweight, no clue where you got that info.

I think studies do suggest that the maximum beneficial protein intake is 0.82g / kg - anything above that is unnecessary.

most likely that max benefit is in a surplus or maintenance, as in a deficit, more than that may be beneficial

I thought the OP is eating in a surplus?

(also I have amended my comment I meant per lb as per the formula in the comment I was replying to).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23107527

• erickirb
    edited June 2018
    Options

The what now?

(also I have amended my comment I meant per lb as per the formula in the comment I was replying to).

He is in a surplus. correction noted.

OP: the simple answer is eat more, mostly carbs, to make up the additional cals
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

The what now?

He is in a surplus. correction noted.

OP: the simple answer is eat more, mostly carbs, to make up the additional cals

Agreed, the argument over protein really doesn't address OP's problem.

OP, are you logging your food? How tall are you and how many calories are eating per day? How much exercise are you doing?
  • trdrsix0s
    trdrsix0s Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat more gain more weight
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Eat all the things. Omelettes, hash browns, toast. Pasta with sauce and chicken. Brisket, grilled burgers, peanut butter or any nut butter sandwiches, oatmeal, rice, cornbread, grits, ff yogurt, fruit, tuna fish sandwiches, texas fries baked in the oven, fish, fish, fish, homemade roasted turkey, bone broth @ 48 hour kind, steak, ribs, bananas, nuts, avocados...Eat all the things. More eggs and just plain nuts. Dried fruit, all kinds without added sugar.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating such a large amount of food high in protein and fat but can’t gain weight I want to bulk up so bad but I’ve tried everything I can think of can anyone help

I’m about 140 but I wanna be 180

You are eating what someone who wants to lose weight would be eating: Fat and protein. This is a typical "hard gainer" mistake as foods that are packed with these are really dense and satiating. You need to start eating more carbs if you want to get more calories in a day. At 140lbs you don't need more than 70g of protein to achieve maximum hypertrophy.

Start eating pasta, bread, fruits, all that's white and packed with fast carbs. You'll bulk up faster than you think. That being said there is no real benefit for a drug free athlete to eat +200kcals above his daily consumption when trying to gain muscle: The surplus is just gonna get turned to fat.

The what now?

I'm confused by what you're suggesting the OP to do here. Are you saying he shouldn't be eating 200 calories over maintenance? Or was that 200 calories above the recommended surplus?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    make a peanutbutter smoothie. lol seriously xD

AMEN, sister! AMEN!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Eat all the things. Omelettes, hash browns, toast. Pasta with sauce and chicken. Brisket, grilled burgers, peanut butter or any nut butter sandwiches, oatmeal, rice, cornbread, grits, ff yogurt, fruit, tuna fish sandwiches, texas fries baked in the oven, fish, fish, fish, homemade roasted turkey, bone broth @ 48 hour kind, steak, ribs, bananas, nuts, avocados...Eat all the things. More eggs and just plain nuts. Dried fruit, all kinds without added sugar.

I want to take you on date now! LOL!
  • keonwlsn
    keonwlsn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that’s best way to do it eat eat eat!!