How Many Grams Of Sugar Daily

Options
Just curious what a good target for grams of sugar a day. I know it would be different for everyone. I average 20-40 grams all from fruits and vegetables (naturally occurring) and very little from anything else. Just wondering if upping it would help energy levels.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating on average daily?
  • Hrussian
    Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating on average daily?
    I have been trying to up my calorie intake and been averaging around 1700
  • Hrussian
    Options
    Hrussian wrote: »

Love it! Feel like I was so strict for so long that now that I have reached my goal I need an adjustment. Sick of so many restrictions and ready to eat what I love within reason. I think 1700 calories is not enough to fuel my workouts and daily life.
  • Hrussian
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I don't even track mine.
    Sugar alone won't cause weight gain or stall any weight loss. Excess calories do that.
    I have no medical conditions so sugar is irrelevant to me being I already track carbs.
    Got it! Good to know. I don’t know why I focus on sugar instead of just looking at the overall calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just curious what a good target for grams of sugar a day. I know it would be different for everyone. I average 20-40 grams all from fruits and vegetables (naturally occurring) and very little from anything else. Just wondering if upping it would help energy levels.

Is there a medical reason you're watching your sugar?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit. MFP is often telling me I am over the default goal for sugar. I just ignore the message and don't bother tracking it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends no more than half your discretionary calories from added sugars. For most women that would be 100 calories, for men 150.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#mainContent
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I don't even track mine.
    Sugar alone won't cause weight gain or stall any weight loss. Excess calories do that.
    I have no medical conditions so sugar is irrelevant to me being I already track carbs.
    Got it! Good to know. I don’t know why I focus on sugar instead of just looking at the overall calories.

I track fiber instead of sugar. :smiley:
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If you eat fruit and veg tracking sugar goes out of the window. I am always over on sugar so don't let it bother me.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was reading "How many grams of sugar daddy"