Sometimes being a woman sucks...

deonbfit
deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I hit my current journey's (I've been down this road many times) lowest weight of 186.8lbs 2 weeks ago. Down from 203.4lbs. I had a minor slip last week and over the weekend and started Tuesday at 188.0. Yesterday morning 187.0. I was SO EXCITED to get to a new low weight this morning. Made sure I worked out, got my calorie deficit in, everything needed to ensure I saw that shiney new number this morning. Forced a number 2 out this morning, hop on the scale, 186.8!!! ARGHHHH
Checked my cycle and I'm like 1-2 days out from my period. I'm retaining water. Now I likely wont see that number till NEXT week ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Stupid period.

End of rant... :smiley:

Replies

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't mind the little bit of water weight each month. I can be +5 lbs. the week before! I weigh every day and have learned that a lot of factors will change the number on the scale from day to day: more sodium than usual, hot weather where I retain a bit of water, muscle soreness, etc.

As long as my overall trend is that my number is going down I am ok with a few days where the number is slightly up.

On a side note - my husband was just complaining that he was up 3 pounds this morning because we had chips and salsa.
  • deonbfit
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I understand how frustrating bloating can be. I don't really use my scale, but I hate that certain outfits are so much less comfortable to wear for one a week a month. I can get so bloated some cycles that I don't even want to wear pants because they feel so constricting on my already sore lower abdomen area. The good news is you already know it will pass, and maybe with any luck/focus you'll be surprised by an even better number next week :smiley:

Yea it's frustrating especially in the early stages of weight loss when there is a sense of desperation. I think this cycle bothered me the most. The last few cycles I hit my low weight that week and then the bloating started and I just stayed off the scale for a few days and was happy to have achieved that number. But this week I knew I had it in the bag today and then I didn't hahaha. Yea it will be cool to be on the low side of 185 or high side of 184 next week. (Yay lower 180's haha)
    Just gotta keep busting my butt!
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Do you do measurements beyond just the scale? I find that seeing a 1/4 inch off my hips helps negate the scale getting stuck during TOM. My water retention doesn't show up with the tape measure as much as the scale.
  • deonbfit
    snemberton wrote: »
    Do you do measurements beyond just the scale? I find that seeing a 1/4 inch off my hips helps negate the scale getting stuck during TOM. My water retention doesn't show up with the tape measure as much as the scale.

I don't. But I still fit in my size 12's which I just started wearing a week or so ago so that's good enough for me hehe.
    It's not really a huge deal. Who knows maybe I'll eat perfectly and workout today any my water retaining self will see a 0.2lbs new low weight tomorrow morning. I'd be happy with that haha. :smile:

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    deonbfit wrote: »
    snemberton wrote: »

I don't. But I still fit in my size 12's which I just started wearing a week or so ago so that's good enough for me hehe.
    It's not really a huge deal. Who knows maybe I'll eat perfectly and workout today any my water retaining self will see a 0.2lbs new low weight tomorrow morning. I'd be happy with that haha. :smile:

Well, I certainly get your frustration. I'm currently "up" 4lbs from my low weight last week due to water retention and a little constipation caused by TOM. I know it isn't real weight since my other measurements are still slightly lower than last week, but it's irritating all the same.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    My weight goes up and down a lot, unrelated to my cycle. You've just got to get used to it. It's not going to go down every day. I plot all my weights in Excel and then look at the overall trend.

4617cd23e4567fa466abe1e11340ca01f6c6.jpg
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Weight loss isn't a steady decline--I get to a new "low" weight, get excited and happy, and then a day or two later I see .4 or .6 pounds added to the scale. Focus on long term trends, rather that the day to day hiccups. One dinner out or homemade Chinese with soy sauce can put on one to two pounds of water weight overnight. Keep moving forward, eating right, and exercising and the weight will come off in its own time.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I hear ya girl. Fluctuations can be frustrating. When the scale isn't being kind to me, I like to check my measurements - especially my waist measurements. Measurements are much slower to change, but they're more forgiving than the scale!