Alternate coping strategies

Options
cmdst4
cmdst4 Posts: 14 Member
I am in therapy for food dependency/childhood trauma. Right now I use food as a coping technique. I stuff my face when I’m sad/stressed/overwhelmed/angry, etc.

This works for me because I can literally do it anytime or anywhere. Running late? Grab a box of crackers for the car. Kids being needy? Eat while you’re helping them.

I need an alternative(s) that can be done anytime anywhere. I can’t always go for a walk/take a bath/draw. Suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cmdst4 wrote: »
    I am in therapy for food dependency/childhood trauma. Right now I use food as a coping technique. I stuff my face when I’m sad/stressed/overwhelmed/angry, etc.

This works for me because I can literally do it anytime or anywhere. Running late? Grab a box of crackers for the car. Kids being needy? Eat while you’re helping them.

I need an alternative(s) that can be done anytime anywhere. I can’t always go for a walk/take a bath/draw. Suggestions?

that's a question for your therapy isn't it?

and you don't HAVE to grab that food...
  • cmdst4
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I would say, "Ask your therapist". I just finished listening (for the second time) to a wonderful series of lectures by Jason Satterfield on Cognitive Based Therapy.

That said I'm going to offer a few possibilities even though you've indicated they might not be feasible. :)
    • Color with your kids. Maybe pick out a nice adult coloring book for yourself. I think I've seen one called "Color Yourself Calm", but there are a lot of inspirational coloring books.
    • Play Dough with your kids. Squishy, colorful fun with that wonderful Play Dough smell!
    • Walk WITH your kids.
    • Take your kids to the park or playground and play along with them.
    • Sit down with a cup of tea or coffee (maybe herbal or decaffeinated) while your kids nap or play "quietly". If it's feasible, sit outside (e.g., in the backyard) while your kids are playing.
    • This may not be feasible/practical/desirable to you, but consider guided relaxation, yoga, Tai Chih, meditation. It doesn't have to be a long session.
    • This is a bit different, but wash/prep raw veggies that you can nibble on when you feel that urge. Make sure you have them on hand and ready to eat.
    • Sip sparkling water.
    • Practice breathing for relaxation.

Good luck, hope you feel better!

Thank you!! I’m saving these as a screenshot and I’m going to take them with me to my next session on Tuesday.

• cmdst4
    Options
    I would attack it from two sides. Let the therapist help you - that's why you're in therapy - and stop telling yourself This works for me.

Interesting insight. I do just assume it works. Maybe think of it in an opposite light?

Don’t get me wrong, I am letting my therapist help me. Sometimes, however, therapy is finding your own answers. Very rarely does a MHP give you a solution. I’m here to gather suggestions, reflect on what may or may not fit my lifestyle and take it back with me on Tuesday.

• cmdst4
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that if you're eating due to past trauma, it just takes time and working through it. It's not an over-night process.

I use a form of accupressure to relieve anxiety due to PTSD. It's called EFT, you can watch videos on youtube. Takes 30 seconds and you can do it anywhere. It helps.

I like the videos with Jessica Ortner. She even has one that is for eating issues.

AWESOME thanks! Acupressure may be a great solution.
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How about chewing sugar free gum? I know it isn't a very profound suggestion: and I agree with others about you needing to tackle the underlying causes of your overeating, but in the short-term it gives your mouth something to do and might act as a distraction.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    honestly . I have never managed to find a distraction that works ... as you said who has time to take a bath or go for a walk in the middle of looking after your kids ?

I have tried, gum ... I got addicted to gum and was consuming several hundred calories of sugar free gum a day, I tried veggies ... great now I eat several hundred calories of freaking carrots.

I am finally getting better at it though and the only way I have managed this is to solve the underlying. If its boredom and monotony then you need a way of stimulating your brain as you play with your kids .... if its stress or anger you need to figure out what is threatening you.

for me .... it was my fcuked up values .... I had unhealthy values ... still do, my food as a coping strategy stems from me being an entitled dick that felt victimized, felt it was someone elses responsibility to deal with my feelings. I wanted to be extraordinary, everytime I looked on the internet its canvassed by the extraordinary, I felt I deserved that. I bought into companies promises that having a new car, a fancy holiday a bigger house, more sex etc etc etc would make me a better person

as I re-evaluate what my actual values are .... it turns out I dont stress as much, I am not angry as much, I achieve, my metrics for measuring my success are met .... and because of this I dont eat as much

All of the above wont help you .. other than to say rather than cover up your eating with distractions, try solving the problem

have you read 'the chimp paradox'? you might find it interesting.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I have now ! ..... I'll go off and google it ... thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have now ! ..... I'll go off and google it ... thanks

I haven't finished it, my husband was recommended it for his anxiety. you talking about dealing with your feelings made me think it may be relevant, or give you another perspective.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished it, my husband was recommended it for his anxiety. you talking about dealing with your feelings made me think it may be relevant, or give you another perspective.

I have just bought and downloaded it ... it sounds exactly what I need .. again, thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have just bought and downloaded it ... it sounds exactly what I need .. again, thanks

let me know what you think!

TBH, OP might find it useful too
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    cmdst4 wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I would say, "Ask your therapist". I just finished listening (for the second time) to a wonderful series of lectures by Jason Satterfield on Cognitive Based Therapy.

That said I'm going to offer a few possibilities even though you've indicated they might not be feasible. :)
    • Color with your kids. Maybe pick out a nice adult coloring book for yourself. I think I've seen one called "Color Yourself Calm", but there are a lot of inspirational coloring books.
    • Play Dough with your kids. Squishy, colorful fun with that wonderful Play Dough smell!
    • Walk WITH your kids.
    • Take your kids to the park or playground and play along with them.
    • Sit down with a cup of tea or coffee (maybe herbal or decaffeinated) while your kids nap or play "quietly". If it's feasible, sit outside (e.g., in the backyard) while your kids are playing.
    • This may not be feasible/practical/desirable to you, but consider guided relaxation, yoga, Tai Chih, meditation. It doesn't have to be a long session.
    • This is a bit different, but wash/prep raw veggies that you can nibble on when you feel that urge. Make sure you have them on hand and ready to eat.
    • Sip sparkling water.
    • Practice breathing for relaxation.

Good luck, hope you feel better!

Thank you!! I’m saving these as a screenshot and I’m going to take them with me to my next session on Tuesday.

You're welcome! And I should have said Cognitive BEHAVIORAL Therapy (not "based").

Take care and feel better!
  • cmdst4
    Options

let me know what you think!

TBH, OP might find it useful too

Thanks! I’ll check into that. Sorry that my first response sounded defensive. It was defensive. I feel attacked all the time. So naturally, I felt your initial response was a “just don’t do it anymore then” type of advice and I felt subpar to you. (Even if it wasn’t meant to be that way)

I’m working through rooted issues of worthlessness stemming from years of childhood abuse. Part of that is realizing not everyone is being critical when they say something I don’t necessarily agree with how it’s worded.

I’m sure you meant well, and thank you. I don’t think MFP alerts you when people reply? So I’m hoping you see this.
  • cmdst4
    Options
    honestly . I have never managed to find a distraction that works ... as you said who has time to take a bath or go for a walk in the middle of looking after your kids ?

I have tried, gum ... I got addicted to gum and was consuming several hundred calories of sugar free gum a day, I tried veggies ... great now I eat several hundred calories of freaking carrots.

I am finally getting better at it though and the only way I have managed this is to solve the underlying. If its boredom and monotony then you need a way of stimulating your brain as you play with your kids .... if its stress or anger you need to figure out what is threatening you.

for me .... it was my fcuked up values .... I had unhealthy values ... still do, my food as a coping strategy stems from me being an entitled dick that felt victimized, felt it was someone elses responsibility to deal with my feelings. I wanted to be extraordinary, everytime I looked on the internet its canvassed by the extraordinary, I felt I deserved that. I bought into companies promises that having a new car, a fancy holiday a bigger house, more sex etc etc etc would make me a better person

as I re-evaluate what my actual values are .... it turns out I dont stress as much, I am not angry as much, I achieve, my metrics for measuring my success are met .... and because of this I dont eat as much

All of the above wont help you .. other than to say rather than cover up your eating with distractions, try solving the problem

I’m glad that you’re finding answers. Deeply rooted issues are tough. I’m going to take you advice and evaluate my values. I’m hoping to, like you said, worth through the root through therapy.