Not losing - don't know why

MsWax
MsWax Posts: 32 Member
So for the past month I've been tracking ALL my food, and eating what I consider to be pretty well. I'm certainly not perfect, but with all my hard work I'm only down 1.6 lbs! My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look and give suggestions. I'm open to them all (even if I choose not to follow them).

A few things to note:
  • I have desk job but usually do 3-6000 steps during the work day, even though I've input my lifestyle as sedentary.
  • I changed my diary last week to include more detail, so the meals that food is listed under from before that aren't correct (but all the food is still there)
  • I exercise multiple times/week and eat some or all of my exercise calories (depending on how hungry I am
  • I've got a good 20lbs to lose, but would feel much better if I was even 10 lbs lighter.

Replies

• MsWax
    ljw5021 wrote: »
    Likely culprits are:

* Calories creeping in with things like cooking oil, sauces, dips, drinks, etc. Be sure to log everything.
    * Misjudging portions - especially with things like nuts, nut butters, and other high calorie foods. Do you have a food scale? I've got one for $20 off Amazon that's reasonably accurate.
    * Using overestimations of calories burned during exercise - try not eating back your exercise calories.

On a more subtle note - how much water are you drinking daily? Biologically we need a sufficient amount of water to metabolize fat - whether that be dietary or body fat. The 8 glasses isn't really sufficient for our purposes - try to aim for an ounce for each pound of body weight, spread out throughout the day.

I measure (but don't weigh) portions, only drink water or alcohol (don't judge) and that's pre-packaged, and I feel like the calories are close to accurate, and I usually don't eat them all. I drink between 100-150 oz of water daily, so no shortage there.

• MsWax
    If there is only 20 pounds or so to lose, you are pretty much right on track - or at least what you should be targeting.

That said, if you set a target for a quicker rate (which would be a mistake IMO), you probably have some logging errors or you just haven't analyzed results for a long enough time period.

If I netted my calorie goals spot on I should be losing 1lb/week, and I'm losing less than half that. The really frustrating part is I can usually lose more during the first week or 2 of being back "on-track," but this time around my body is fighting me every step of the way!

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

I'll move it down here. Maybe then OP will check it out?

In the meantime, check out quiksylver's link. Should be the first thing out of your drawer before every meal or meal prep.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Is the exercise new? My scale went up 7 pounds when I started weight lifting again. Took a few weeks to come off.

If applicable, are you at the point in your cycle when you are ovulating or premenstrual?

If neither of these applies, get a food scale - you are probably eating more than you think. Scales have the added benefit of being quicker than using measuring cups, and there's less to wash.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited June 2018
    I weigh I log daily and have since May 2016 but I quit losing months ago.. just stuck and in fact gained 5 pounds the past two months!! My menu choices have been the same for two years but something must have changed for sure as I totally quit my swift weight loss trajectory I WAS on. I keep at it but fear my Celebrex is the culprit. If I continue to gain I will stop taking it and just suffer the painful, debilitating arthritis as I will not be fatter again, so be it.