Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"No calorie-counting needed, just "eat intuitively" folks!"

Options
1234568»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Lol pretty straightforward. Thanks :-)

If you've read it, what did you think? Was it as "revolutionary" for you as the authors claim?

I oversimplified the "eat to your taste buds and satiety/satisfaction" part. They propose a whole theory behind it. I think the book has some good ideas that would help any dieter. Moving away from the mentality of "bad foods", not depriving yourself, enjoying your meal because it tastes good and nourishes you (regardless of what it is), and many other productive thoughts that help heal how a stressed dieter approaches food. What I don't think it is, is a successful weight management approach for everyone (or even for most people). Even the book itself doesn't claim that you'll lose much, if any, weight. You may end up losing a whole bunch of weight or none at all. It's not exactly a dieting protocol.

I think it's worth a read, but with a grain of salt. Approaching it as ideas, not as a system, can be beneficial. I disagree with their overt opposition to any calorie-informed decisions, I also disagree with the way they approach "set point" among other things.

For me, personally, it wasn't revolutionary. I don't come from a background of chronic dieting and deprivation, and my self-worth has never been closely attached to my weight. I grew up in an environment where you rarely see people rank food in terms of "healthy", they're ranked more in terms of "quality". It was actually a cultural shock for me when I started dieting what people perceive as healthy and how much emotion/morality is attached to that. My situation is different, but I do believe this book can be revolutionary for some people (if they don't end up joining the HAES movement in a blind cultish way).
  • YouAgainstYou
    YouAgainstYou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wish. I got fat by eating intuitively.

I dunno. From my understanding eating intuitively doesn't mean eating everything your taste buds crave while ignoring bodily feedback. For example I could eat a whole 15" pizza in one sitting because it tastes nice, that said after 3 -4 slices I'll begin to feel physically uncomfortable. I could just ignore that and keep going, no problem however that is no longer "intuitive" of me. Does that make sense?

For me intuitive eating should really be called informed eating. You're not necessarily oblivious to your intake, you're mindful of it. It's like the susscful combination of listening to your body cues while factoring in your goals. It's like an art more than anything. Each to their own though. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I agree. Informed eating works better. Although still not for everyone, my portions tend to creep up without me noticing. Eating intuitively basically means eating by following your intuition about what and how much you want to eat to feel full. If you're making conscious informed decisions about food types, frequency, and portion, it's no longer intuitive.

For what it's worth, the book that popularized this term states exactly that: eat everything your taste buds crave until you're full. I'm aware that the term has morphed to mean "tracking-free eating".

Oh it does? That's a bit silly imo. But I would argue that everyone who ends up championing intuitive eating was at some point a slick calorie counter type so they still have that info in their head whether they're aware of it or not. I feel if you have a background of counting you can quasi he intuitive alot better.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    In defence, I lost my first 10kg by eating intuitively. I then plateaued and picked up Mfp to help me with the plateau. Then I went back to intuitive eating and lost another 10kg. That was last year. This year I have on and off tracked using Mfp, losing when I track and plateauing when I don't. I've also had an injury that's caused issues as well.

I've picked it up again this week for the 2 months, hopefully I'll get to my goal, which is a healthy BMI. My problem is I get really obsessed and do stupid things that actually set me back.

So my take is do what works for you. Trackiis good for me for short periods to get through specific situations, but not permanent. Long term I want to do intuitive eating, which worked really well for me for most of my weight loss.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    I am intuitively going to eat like a hobbit so that does not work for me.

100% this!!!! Perfect description lol.