Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"No calorie-counting needed, just "eat intuitively" folks!"

Replies

• Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    I think it works for some people but definitely not me. If I eat intuitively, I don’t lose weight but maintain instead.

This is me totally also.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    If I did not log and weigh everything I ate I would not of lost 100lbs, I went through a stupid thing of not logging Saturdays as its my cheat day and would gain a stupid amount, I know 90% of it was water weight but still sucks, I cannot trust myself to eat intuitively, It also annoys me when people say that logging calories in and out is boring hence they don't do it then they wonder why they have not lost in the past few months, each to their own and all that but calorie counting is the best method and its free.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2018
    I tried managing my weight without calorie counting for 15 years. I did lose weight sometimes and the regained it. My hunger/full signals are not trustworthy tools. Calorie counting/tracking has been the easiest most consistant way I've found to manage my weight. It has freed me from doing strict diets and a lot of frustration. For a lot of people tracking calorie intake is a very valuable tool to figuring out how much they should be eating for their activity level. It really is not a tedious habit any more than regular exercise or brushing your teeth.
    I don't think everyone needs to count calories to lose weight. My dh did not. He also did not change to a plant based diet or remove processed foods or exercise a bunch. He just ate less. Calorie counting, switching to eating lower calorie foods, eating smaller portions, eating once a day, eating 6 times a day, not eating after dinner, changing activity level, paying more attention to hunger cues are all ways you might change your CICO. I really doubt that someone counting calories is sabatoging their progress even if it is tedious for them.
    I think the article is buying into the idea that people gain weight only by eating certain foods or binge eating. You can gain weight by consistantly eating or drinking a couple hundred calories over your maintenance level though. That could be one fancy coffee a day. You might not feel full until after you have overeaten that small amount.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I don’t disagree with those statements and i do think logging calories is tedious and I don’t like the idea of keeping a food diary for the rest of my life. But when I try to eat “intuitively” I eat like everything in the house. I would love to be able to eat reasonably and sensibly without tracking. Maybe I will get there some day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    smoothies....fruits and veggies and calorie bombs waiting to happen to the unaware

and you can't have my steak. mine!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    :s no meat :s

Why?

because they promote a plant based lifestyle
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    :s no meat :s

Why?

because they promote a plant based lifestyle

I was referring to the person quoted, not the OP. Maybe seeking some clarification, since her two-word post was so vague, ambiguous and lacking context as to be meaningless.