First week weight loss

sarah7939
sarah7939 Posts: 2 Member
Has anybody else found that they don't lose anything during their first week trying to lose weight? Is there a reason for this ? It's so disheartenkng, especially when you have stuck to the plan

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What is the plan, and does the plan include a larger volume of food and more intense exercise?
  • sarah7939
    sarah7939 Posts: 2 Member
    What is the plan, and does the plan include a larger volume of food and more intense exercise?

No I'm just using this app to help stay at my calorie goal each day. Not intense exercise walking and biking
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    If you know in your heart you are doing the right things then keep doing them and congratulating yourself for doing it. The scale is just data but sometimes the data is skewed. The good news is next week you have another opportunity to collect that data and will probably be surprised at what it says.
  • jessicastanfill
    jessicastanfill Posts: 69 Member
    I lost 2 pounds my first week. I feel almost discouraged by that because I've read here people losing 7 pounds!

I wonder if weight weekly isn't the best thing? Once a month? Because our bodies fluctuate with water - perhaps a weekly weigh in is too little a loss to feel inspired? Idk
  • nanoblad
    nanoblad Posts: 1 Member
    It takes time to gain weight and it takes time to lose it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I lost 2 pounds my first week. I feel almost discouraged by that because I've read here people losing 7 pounds!

I wonder if weight weekly isn't the best thing? Once a month? Because our bodies fluctuate with water - perhaps a weekly weigh in is too little a loss to feel inspired? Idk

Two pounds is still a huge accomplishment. Weigh as often as you feel necessary under the same conditions. I’m someone who prefers to weigh every day.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I gained 3lbs my first week, lost 5lbs the following week. So yeah, that first week (or weeks) can be really wonky. Just keep at it and the the longer you work at it the more you see the true trend.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    People do often (but not always) see a big drop the first week, typically because restricting calories involves them cutting back on carbs, which results in a drop in water weight. The reverse is also true... someone who has been restricting calories and has a "cheat" meal or heavier day, including more carbs & sodium, will see a sudden spike on the scale. Neither really means anything when it comes to fat loss. I know it's a bummer not to see the scale move, but remember, weight management is a lifetime process and 1 week is just a drop in the bucket. It will happen :)
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Are you weighing your food? I learned the first week that weighing is far superior to measuring, and I think that has made a huge difference for me. "Sticking to the plan" is only as good as the plan :)

As others have said, it's always difficult to face no loss or "apparent" gain, but so many variables affect the number on the scale that it is important to take the long view. If you are weighing food and being honest with yourself about your cals in and cals out, you WILL lose. It just might take time to show up. Hang in there, and best of luck.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member

Generally a loss of 7 pounds in a week is mostly water. When people lose that much it is often due to a drastic change in eating habits. Alot of the time you will see them posting in here a few weeks later that their loss has stalled because the water comes back and masks fat loss. Don't stress over what others do. 2 lbs. is a great loss in a week.