How many calories? 5'2 with 20 lbs to lose

Options
Hi,

I joined MFP a few days ago. So far I have just tried to eat a bit healthier, but I haven't exercised. MFP tells me I need to eat 1280 calories a week to lose 0.5 lbs and 1200 calories to lose 1 lb a week (I think it's actually much lower but won't go below 1200). Tomorrow I'm joining the gym, so I'm wondering what my calorie allowance should be.

I don't tend to burn that much on the cardio machines, even when I really try hard and sweat buckets. Typically I'll burn 250-350 calories in 45 minutes, which from what I've heard is incorrect, with the actual number being a lot less. I also aim to strength train 3 x a week.

Generally, my lifestyle is very sedentary, so other than my gym workout, I will mostly just be sitting down.

I'm 5'2 and currently weigh 123 lbs.

If anyone can help me, that would be much appreciated! I'm a bit lost. Last time I lost weight without exercise, so I just ate 1200 calories, but I don't want to do that this time. Thanks.

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am going to guess your age as 30. So, please forgive me if that is off. So, for a 30yo female who is 5'2" and weighs 123lbs here is your TDEE:

https://tdeecalculator.net

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,247 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,496 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,715 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,933 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,151 calories per day
    Athlete 2,369 calories per day

MFP does things a little bit differently. I am truly not trying to add confusion. I just MUCH prefer the TDEE method. It makes way more sense to my nugget than how MFP does things.

And, general comment - you are correct with the output from the cardio machines. I find that most research suggests that they are - at best - 125% over. So, if the machine tells you that you burned 300 calories, then you likely burned 240 calories.

What are your goals? I am guessing to lose 20 lbs?

Gaining weight | losing weight is generally due to a very simple formula: Calories in vs Calories out. If you burn more calories than you take in, then you lose weight (called a caloric deficit). If you consume more calories than you burn, then you gain weight (called a caloric surplus).

Additionally, it takes 3,500 calories to gain (in a surplus) one pound in one weeks time and it takes 3,500 calories to lose (in a caloric deficit) one pound in one weeks time.

So, the key - per pound - is 500 calories/day (aks, 3,500 calories / week).

Does this help?
  • samaz32
    samaz32 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the 1280, eat back about half your exercise calories and see how you're doing after 4 weeks. Adjust from there. 20lbs is going to come off slowly.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I think I'll maybe add an additional 100 calories on the days I workout. I think that should cover it as I don't really trust the machines. 0.5 lbs a week is very slow, I was hoping to get to my goal by around November, but guess that's not healthy.
  • samaz32
    Options
    I am going to guess your age as 30. So, please forgive me if that is off. So, for a 30yo female who is 5'2" and weighs 123lbs here is your TDEE:

MFP does things a little bit differently. I am truly not trying to add confusion. I just MUCH prefer the TDEE method. It makes way more sense to my nugget than how MFP does things.

And, general comment - you are correct with the output from the cardio machines. I find that most research suggests that they are - at best - 125% over. So, if the machine tells you that you burned 300 calories, then you likely burned 240 calories.

Gaining weight | losing weight is generally due to a very simple formula: Calories in vs Calories out. If you burn more calories than you take in, then you lose weight (called a caloric deficit). If you consume more calories than you burn, then you gain weight (called a caloric surplus).

Additionally, it takes 3,500 calories to gain (in a surplus) one pound in one weeks time and it takes 3,500 calories to lose (in a caloric deficit) one pound in one weeks time.

Does this help?

Thanks for this. I have heard of the TDEE method, but have never really used it. I think I'll try the MFP way first - I'm hoping it'll get me to the gym more often as I'll get some added calories :smile: If that's not working will try the TDEE way.

Goal is to lose about 20 lbs and then build muscle as I am all flab. That will come later though, need to lose the weight first!
  • samaz32
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What are you doing, at what intensity, on the cardio machines? 250 calories in 45 minutes doesn't sound that far off reasonable, to me, if you're working pretty hard. It's about what I figure I'd burn in a 45 minute spin class, and I'm only a little heavier than you are (low 130s, plus body weight doesn't count much in spin).

But, 1280 + half of exercise sounds OK to start; eat more if you feel weak or fatigued, otherwise evaluate after 4-6 weeks. 0.5 pounds/week is more reasonable as a target for you than 1 pound, to stay strong, healthy and attractive as you lose.

I've heard about people burning 500-700 calories in an hour or less, just assumed I was burning less than everyone else, to be honest.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    For what it’s worth... I’m 5’2, have a desk job, and lost most of my weight (>35 lbs) eating between 1600-1900 calories. I average 12-15k steps a day and light circuit training a few times a week. I’m currently maintaining at 118 with a TDEE of 2200 per my FitBit and actual results.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You should go with losing .25-.5 lbs. per week or RECOMP. (Using resistance to reshape the body instead of dieting). You are small and within the normal weight range so losing 1 lb. per week would be agressive.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    samaz32 wrote: »

Does this help?

Thanks for this. I have heard of the TDEE method, but have never really used it. I think I'll try the MFP way first - I'm hoping it'll get me to the gym more often as I'll get some added calories :smile: If that's not working will try the TDEE way.

Goal is to lose about 20 lbs and then build muscle as I am all flab. That will come later though, need to lose the weight first!

Good idea (on using MFP). Like I stated in the post, not trying to add confusion. Use whatever way works for you. That is the most important thing....what works for YOU. MFP does not (not even close) work for me. :-)
  • samaz32
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    You should go with losing .25-.5 lbs. per week or RECOMP. (Using resistance to reshape the body instead of dieting). You are small and within the normal weight range so losing 1 lb. per week would be agressive.

I was around 105 lbs last year this time and was happy at that weight, just wanted to recomp. Feel very big for my frame at my current weight, even though I know others look great at the same weight, it just looks very big on me. I am happy to go for 0.5 lbs loss per week with an aim of reaching my goal next year sometime.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

I've heard about people burning 500-700 calories in an hour or less, just assumed I was burning less than everyone else, to be honest.

Meh, it sucks being small. I am 5'0", 130 ish and in about 45 minutes I burn about 200 also. That is with my heart rate at 170+.
  • samaz32
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Meh, it sucks being small. I am 5'0", 130 ish and in about 45 minutes I burn about 200 also. That is with my heart rate at 170+.

I know, it's so unfair. I wish I was taller :(
  • samaz32
    Options
    Don't wait to start strength training, do it now as you lose. It will help you reach a better body composition than losing first, trying to build later.

Thanks for the tip. I am trying to get some strength training in too but it's not very structured, just doing what I can. Later, once I'm closer to my goal, I'm hoping to get a personal trainer to help me out. I'm far too scared to try working out with a barbell, could just about manage with free weights last time and that too with super light weights lol.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I did videos, like 30 day shred and The Firm, while losing. Then added push-ups, pullups, pistol squats and some weight machines before learning how to lift with barbells. Don't underestimate yourself. Strength training will help you keep the muscle you already have. Otherwise, you will lose your muscles along with the fat and you will have to try to gain it back again. Seems counterproductive to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to start strength training, do it now as you lose. It will help you reach a better body composition than losing first, trying to build later.

Thanks for the tip. I am trying to get some strength training in too but it's not very structured, just doing what I can. Later, once I'm closer to my goal, I'm hoping to get a personal trainer to help me out. I'm far too scared to try working out with a barbell, could just about manage with free weights last time and that too with super light weights lol.

How about a nice bodyweight program for strength training? Minimal equipment required. It can be a great place to start!

There are some mentioned in this thread of good programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1