Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options
19899100101102104»

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I'm all for a junk food tax, a fat tax, and a soda tax ( I guess that would be under junk food). Tax the living hell out of cigarettes while you're at it.

Why stop there? tax every "kitten" thing. Your tax dollars will be put to good use! LMAO

Yes. Yes, they would. Glad we agree. A fat tax can pay for Universal Healthcare, so tax the hell out of Mcdonald's food and fatties. Fine by me!

Don't stop there on the food side of the equation, it's CICO after all. Tax anything that causes people to sit on their butt more:
    • Screens: TVs, laptops, tablets,
    • People who make their primary income generating passive entertainment (writers, actors, theater owners)
    • Employers that are primarily desk job organizations (lawyers, financial services, tech support, programming)
    • Labor saving device manufacturers (robots, IoT, kitchen appliances)

https://youtu.be/MbQiVQuiu04

You made me sit for 2:40, that'll be $2.40 for Uncle Sam.

It will be wasted.

Maybe so, but it'll surely keep you from wasting it yourself on a filthy greasy tasty fast food burger, because we all know you won't spend it on anything clean. We know you durrrty! ;)
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think even if the tax went up on these foods then people would still eat just as much from them. What they should do is reduce the cost of fruit and vegetables and those “super foods” like nuts and seeds etc so people on lower incomes can afford to make them a staple in their diets. I think there should be more NHS funded personal training and diet guidances or something similar outside of the UK
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I think even if the tax went up on these foods then people would still eat just as much from them. What they should do is reduce the cost of fruit and vegetables and those “super foods” like nuts and seeds etc so people on lower incomes can afford to make them a staple in their diets. I think there should be more NHS funded personal training and diet guidances or something similar outside of the UK

More people would be on board if they knew such taxes would be used for the betterment of society. That the funds would be used wisely and a net positive outcome would be possible.

We have a good deal of evidence to the contrary, hence the rationale for opposing most new tax proposals.
  • Knokr
    Knokr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No! In cook county they raised alcohol tax and added a tax to any sort of sugary drink and it’s annoying but it doesn’t prevent me from buying anything.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    No. We pay enough in taxes already.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    If they taxed the companies that produce it instead of the consumer, sure.

which would trickle down to the consumer
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Economics much?
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

And the taxes paid by companies comes from the prices they charge for goods and services. Therefore, everyone who suggests companies should be taxed are really asking to personally pay more taxes as those taxes charged to "the other guy" will merely be passed along to the consumer.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Extremely heavily.
    No change in opinion...
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Knokr wrote: »
    No! In cook county they raised alcohol tax and added a tax to any sort of sugary drink and it’s annoying but it doesn’t prevent me from buying anything.

Is that because it's not an everyday purchase?

Personally I think the increase in tax (were it to occur) would need to be coupled with a tax break on healthy foods and drinks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Companies don't pay taxes....ever. This is always passed onto the consumer.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

If you're using "staple food" in the sense of a food eaten in such quantities that it forms a dominant portion of the diet, I don't know if making nuts/seeds a staple food for people will result in the population weighing less overall.

So .. by staple foods I mean more like your fruit and veg .. I really do think they should reduce the cost of these types of foods to encourage more people to buy them
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

If you're using "staple food" in the sense of a food eaten in such quantities that it forms a dominant portion of the diet, I don't know if making nuts/seeds a staple food for people will result in the population weighing less overall.

So .. by staple foods I mean more like your fruit and veg .. I really do think they should reduce the cost of these types of foods to encourage more people to buy them

not terribly likely to happen since we can't, you know, teleport food on demand from the farms. We do freeze and can fruits and vegetables to improve shelf life (and make them available and remotely affordable in the off-seasons), and selectively bred/engineered/treated what we can for improved shelf/transport life, ... but there's an obvious limit to how cheap we can feasibly make the fresh, perishable items required by food snobs.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    No. We pay enough in taxes already.
  • isaiahfap_216
    isaiahfap_216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" food should be made more affordable. You can get fruit and veg reasonably cheap nowadays but god help you if you need anything else. Taxing in my opinion doesn't really work because the financial negative incentive doesn't really counteract the physical positive incentive. it's just another way for governments to make more money.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Before taxing products, maybe we should consider whether or not we really need to subsidize agriculture products, and see if we can get good results by just letting everything cost the fair market value, instead of taking advantage of artificially low corn prices.
  • jenniferleavitt1
    jenniferleavitt1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with taxing junk food, we pay too much in tax already, and the definition of "junk food" is too broad, at least to me. One man's junk is another man's treat, or treasure. However, I do agree with the people who say that we should decrease the price of healthy alternatives such as fruits and veggies. I think that most people would go for healthier options, if they were priced better. I know that I try and eat clean and healthy but it gets really expensive sometimes.
    Example I can go to McDonalds and get a cheeseburger meal for $5.99 (ish) or I can go to chopped leaf and get a salad for $14.00. If I'm on a budget but want a treat, or forgot lunch and am starving I'm probably going to pick McDonald's, just because of the cost. However, if the price of the salad was comparable to the burger I'd go for the salad every time.
    Not saying that everyone will do this, but I think that it would make a big difference to a lot of people if we could get healthy food for cheaper than junk food.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the idea reducing prices on "healthy foods" would increase consumption of these items. Look around at an all you can eat one price restaurant and notice the ratio of veggies and fruit compared to greasy entries, cheese bread, sugar/fat laden deserts, etc.