Is it really worth...

13»

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 953 Member
    Last time I stopped logging boom I gained 45lbs...lol

I find if I stick to the same food groups & portion size I won't need to log but.....

At this point I can pretty much estimate where I am at with my calories... :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I have gotten a little bad about estimating a few things I could have weighed but I log. I find I am more likely to have overestimated instead of underestimating when I estimate and then weigh. I am scared of the "Boom 45 pounds" (in my case, it would be 65+ to get back to my old weight)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I've had days when I thought I was over then actually counted what I ate and found I was ok. For me it was definately worth tracking. Had I not logged it I would have continued to eat. This has become a very valuable maintenance tool for me.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    For me, it's a learning experience. How many days, for instance, and by how much each day, can I go over before it shows up on the scale? It's also helpful to me to see that little message when you complete your logging for the day that says "If every day was like this day, you would weigh xxx lbs. in five weeks. That's sobering when I have a day or two when I've gone over by a large amount and kind of gives me a reality check to get back on track.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    yaej5boj17eb.png
    Here’s a picture of a “log everything” week for me.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    For me, it's a learning experience. How many days, for instance, and by how much each day, can I go over before it shows up on the scale? It's also helpful to me to see that little message when you complete your logging for the day that says "If every day was like this day, you would weigh xxx lbs. in five weeks. That's sobering when I have a day or two when I've gone over by a large amount and kind of gives me a reality check to get back on track.

I have to calm myself down with that logical thinking sometimes. I go over maybe a few hundred for something special and the next time I weight I am up a pound or two and it has to be just normal fluctuations because it takes a 3500 calorie surplus to actually gain a pound. Even if I do gain a pound, I have a 5 pound range for a reason. I haven't failed if I use some of it and then adjust back down.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Nope. I don't believe in undereating to pay for overeating or any overage the next day. It only digs a much deeper hole. Every day is a new day if you need to think of it as hitting the reset button. I'm in it for the long haul, no such thing as the finish line with your positive food management plan.

I don’t believe in undereating either. Balancing the overage over several days is a very different thing though. My daily goal is 2000, and I have figured out my ”comfort zone” with it is about 15% to either direction, so 1700-2300. I know I have some days when I’m over, so I try to keep the ”regular” days at 1700-2000, so I can average the 2000 or preferably a bit less than that. If I go higher than the 2300 I usually feel sluggish or physically crappy the next day, if I go under the 1700, especially for more than one consecutive day, I get tired, irritable and devour everything edible. So, if I hit the occasional 2500-cal day, I need at least two days to balance that out.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    I tend to stop logging because generally days I go over are busy/social/family-centered days without a lot of phone or screen time. I weigh myself everyday, though and tend to gauge where I'm at and when I need to reign it in based on that.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Keeps you honest and helps you realize that eating a bowl full of ice cream or a delicious meal at a restaurant won't add enough calories to gain an extra pound in one day. Keeps you from feeling like a failure when you are only 500 calories over your daily limit.