Is it possible to see results with light weights ?

Options
concetta1123
concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
I’m totally new to bodybuilding and a bit confused as to what I should be doing. For reference, I’m 5’3, 134lbs, and I’m eating at maintenance but also focusing on consuming enough protein.

I’d love to build some muscle on my legs so I’ve begun to complete routines that target the area. I was doing 20lbs of resistance for my deadlifts, squats, hip raises, etc. yet I felt so much pressure on my back and my form was terrible, so I dropped down to 10lbs resistance. Using 10lbs, I feel the pressure on my glutes and my form is way better, but I always hear people say that lifting heavy is the only way to see results, and 10lbs isn’t heavy at all.

How much did you guys lift at the start of your bodybuilding journey ? Is it normal and productive to lift light and progress to the heavy stuff down the road ? And lastly, will I see results with the light weights or will I have to wait until I’m ready to use something heavier before I see any difference ?

Thanks for the advice ! (:

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    yes. light weights high repetition count.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Initially sure. But what kind of rep range are you working in with the weights you currently have. And even more importantly, What are your long term goals?
  • concetta1123
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Initially sure. But what kind of rep range are you working in with the weights you currently have. And even more importantly, What are your long term goals?

I usually do 4x15 with the current weights. My long term goals are to be and look more fit. I already have pretty muscular legs and arms, but my glutes are lacking and I’d like to add some muscle definition there so that overall I look stronger.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload is key but once you get to a point where you’re pushing 25+ reps it becomes more endurance training
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that there is Type 1 Fibers and Type 2 Fibers (keeping that to a generic "2".....).

Type 1 fibers are the so-called "slow twitch" while Type 2 fibers are the so-called "fast twitch".

Low weight | high reps are good for Type 1 Fibers. High weight | low reps are good for Type 2 Fibers.

So, the question needs to be a bit more specific!
  • concetta1123
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Progressive overload is key but once you get to a point where you’re pushing 25+ reps it becomes more endurance training

What is progressive overload? And how can I tell if I’m completing that while working out?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    To get results you will have to incrementally increase the weight. If you just stay at the same weight, you're not going to be doing much.
    jdog022 wrote: »

I usually do 4x15 with the current weights. My long term goals are to be and look more fit. I already have pretty muscular legs and arms, but my glutes are lacking and I’d like to add some muscle definition there so that overall I look stronger.

You'd be better off working in the 8-12 rep range...over 12 reps and you're mostly training muscular endurance.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

What is progressive overload? And how can I tell if I’m completing that while working out?

Progressive overload is a concept by which you "make the training more difficult" (layman's terms). There are lots of ways to achieve this:

1. put more weight on the bar (either each session or each week)
    2. do more reps at the same weight
    3. decrease the rest period between sets

There is a link in MFP somewhere (as I have said before, I can never find these links) and I am pretty sure that Bret Contreras has a "what is progressive overload" article somewhere. I will find that and post the link. His detail will far surpass mine....

https://bretcontreras.com/progressive-overload/
    https://bretcontreras.com/the-pitfalls-of-progressive-overload/
  • concetta1123
    Options

Progressive overload is a concept by which you "make the training more difficult" (layman's terms). There are lots of ways to achieve this:

1. put more weight on the bar (either each session or each week)
    2. do more reps at the same weight
    3. decrease the rest period between sets

There is a link in MFP somewhere (as I have said before, I can never find these links) and I am pretty sure that Bret Contreras has a "what is progressive overload" article somewhere. I will find that and post the link. His detail will far surpass mine....

https://bretcontreras.com/progressive-overload/
    https://bretcontreras.com/the-pitfalls-of-progressive-overload/

Thanks so much, this is really helpful and I’m going to look over these links now!
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yes, you can build muscle with lighter weights, you just have to be consistent about working out, and do higher repetitions using the lighter weights. I have a spinal cord injury which limits me to lifting no more than 10 pounds with my upper body. Most of time, I work out with 3 to 4 pound weights for each arm, and no more than 10 pounds when using machines. Usually 3 sets of 30 reps each per exercise twice per week. For lower body, I do a combination of body weight exercises like squats and lunges or use machines in the gym which don't require me to hold heavy dumbbells as I work my legs. You won't get big muscles, but you will get toned and stronger even using light weights.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can build muscle with lighter weights, you just have to be consistent about working out, and do higher repetitions using the lighter weights. I have a spinal cord injury which limits me to lifting no more than 10 pounds with my upper body. Most of time, I work out with 3 to 4 pound weights for each arm, and no more than 10 pounds when using machines. Usually 3 sets of 30 reps each per exercise twice per week. For lower body, I do a combination of body weight exercises like squats and lunges or use machines in the gym which don't require me to hold heavy dumbbells as I work my legs. You won't get big muscles, but you will get toned and stronger even using light weights.

you will get stronger to a point. but toned means losing the fat over the muscle to get a "toned" look. you cant tone muscle.eventually though you will have to keep doing more reps because it will get easier to lift that amount of weight and like cwolfman13 says that would be more muscular endurance traning.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    well everyone has to start out somewhere so start out at 10lbs and then work your way up, eventually you will get to heavier weights.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    well everyone has to start out somewhere so start out at 10lbs and then work your way up, eventually you will get to heavier weights.

+1 on this. Muscle can’t see or count weight, only push it. Stress the muscle with whatever weight and focus on your successes
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Light weight is fine to begin with; learn proper form, then increase reps ("perfect practice" > "practice makes perfect"). Build those motor patterns with the higher repetition.

If you are into bodybuilding/improving body composition (Hypertrophy/fatloss cycles), there is no real need to risk injury with heavy weight (generally < 4-5 reps max effort). There is no need to always go to failure either with high reps - going to failure excessively in a workout session can be counter productive for progressive overload (generally ok to end a workout with 1 set to failure for a particular muscle group).

Hard part is determining what you are really capable of lifting heavy with good form (might want to check out Relative Perceived Exertion "RPE"). If you find yourself struggling to consistantly hit the same volume with a high reps/set scheme (not being able to recover properly), it's probably a good time to incorporate some lower rep heavier sets as a goal for progression or take more rest days (rearrange split if you are into that type of training)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Keep in mind that there is Type 1 Fibers and Type 2 Fibers (keeping that to a generic "2".....).

Type 1 fibers are the so-called "slow twitch" while Type 2 fibers are the so-called "fast twitch".

Low weight | high reps are good for Type 1 Fibers. High weight | low reps are good for Type 2 Fibers.

So, the question needs to be a bit more specific!
    This is a very complicated topic mostly because different muscle groups have different fiber % compositions. Why you might see some respond with calves, rear delts, etc. with 25 rep sets, chest, triceps, etc. with 5 rep sets...a mix of both rep range schemes is generally good.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hypertrophy can occur with little as 30% of your 1RM if your volume is correct and makes the weight a useful intensity.

Lifting heavy or light is subjective to th goals and strength of individual.

Someone who has goal of strength who can squat 200lb for a 1rm could work 140-160lbs at a useful rep set and achieve their goal, but might not drive strength optimally if their 1RM was 425. Though it might drive hypertrophy if the volume was correct for that individual.

There isn't one scheme that works for or all goals or individuals. There are general guidelines, but humans respond differently.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I’m totally new to bodybuilding and a bit confused as to what I should be doing. For reference, I’m 5’3, 134lbs, and I’m eating at maintenance but also focusing on consuming enough protein.

I’d love to build some muscle on my legs so I’ve begun to complete routines that target the area. I was doing 20lbs of resistance for my deadlifts, squats, hip raises, etc. yet I felt so much pressure on my back and my form was terrible, so I dropped down to 10lbs resistance. Using 10lbs, I feel the pressure on my glutes and my form is way better, but I always hear people say that lifting heavy is the only way to see results, and 10lbs isn’t heavy at all.

How much did you guys lift at the start of your bodybuilding journey ? Is it normal and productive to lift light and progress to the heavy stuff down the road ? And lastly, will I see results with the light weights or will I have to wait until I’m ready to use something heavier before I see any difference ?

Thanks for the advice ! (:

Yes! Technique, Form, Tempo, # of Sets, # of Reps are all variables you can control at your will. Even with 10lb weights, doing 3 sets of 15 counting 1 up, 1 down, is going to be vastly different from 3 sets of 12 counting 3 up. 3 down....or there are some who'll go up to 10 seconds at any side of the rep. Slower, controlled reps, with proper form and focus on the muscles you're working WILL not only give you results, but you'll gain a better foundation than if you try do to more with poor form and technique.

No shame in starting small. Constant, measured progress is all that matters and if the 10's become too easy, then find yourself some 15's and keep going!

No limits on whatever you want to do.

Cheers to you!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Building muscle is through progressive overload and forced adaptation.

When your body builds muscle it is it's way of adapting to a stimulus. *repetitions causing micro tears.* to prevent those tears your body repairs and builds more muscle to combat that stimulus. Which is why you progressively add more weight to prevent your body from fully adapting.

Yes light weights will work *if they provide sufficient stimulus to cause damage and result in cellular regrowth and repair*

You will always feel pressure when using a loaded movement. Its part of the game. You have to learn to go through the movement properly and at the right speed. Were you trying to perform the movement fast and jerky?

For 10lbs question. You said you are 134lbs. How many times a day do your legs move that 134lbs from point A to point B? Hundreds if not thousands of times. So it will be unlikely to see any results from such a light weight. I would suggest getting a trainer to teach you the movements and follow a true hypertrophy program. Not something you threw together with some crayons and glue.

I am new to powerlifting but I trained to compete in physique for several years. You are going to need volume, intensity, overload, and calories if you want to see results and continue to make progress.

To answer your question about just starting weights
    Bench 95lb max now 245lb
    Squat 115 now 345
    Deadlift 195 now 441
    Overhead press 75 now 155
    Just cause bicep curl 15lbsx8 now 40lbsx8

I started at 153 and am now 183. My numbers are crap for weight due to chasing the volume game for so long when I was going for ascetics. And recently made the switch to powerlifting.

Good luck and be prepared to hold back vomit nearly every day for the rest of your body building career.