Alcohol Dependency

Options
Hi guys,

I’m not really sure where to post this, but I have a question regarding alcohol dependency or unhealthy habits. I went on a first date with someone who was great, but he had five beers. We hung out for about two and a half hours, I had two drinks. It worried me because towards the end he was slurring his speech a bit. I later told him that’s something that concerned me and he said he four beers which makes me question my memory. He also said that I should get to know him better and is surprised I was worried about his lifestyle. I just got out of an emotionally abusive relationship so my reaction was to apologize for suggesting it was something to be concerened about. But I’m worried his response was also an indication that he was caught off guard and may have some mild alcoholism brewing.

I’ve done a lot of work to change my life and circumstances and my OWN habits with alcohol. Does this sound concerning to any of you, or familiar?

Replies

• LonnaWhiting
    LonnaWhiting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for conquering your own bad habits with alcohol. Since you don't know the guy that well, maybe try one more time, but this time in a venue that doesn't offer alcohol. He could have been nervous ... or he very well could have a problem. Maybe seeing how he does in a NA environment will cue you in the right direction.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    good rule of thumb...just listen to your own body. if its no...its no. no reasoning needed.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you’re completely unsuited to each other. No more. No less.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So don't date him again, really simple.
  • Blonde_Runner615
    Blonde_Runner615 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have your own limits and boundaries when it comes to deciding who to date. He doesn't have to agree with you that it's a problem -- it's enough that it's not what you're looking for in a potential partner.

very well said and I agree with @janejellyroll

Drinking 5 beers on a first date indicates that he either has alcohol dependency already or is at high risk for developing alcohol dependency. This would be a big red flag for me.

Sometimes I think that the concepts of alcoholism & alcohol dependency, useful as they are, may get in our way when we are trying to figure things like this out. His liver and brain are affected the same amount whether he is an "I can't quit" alcoholic or a person who could quit but who is living like an alcoholic.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    To me that sounds like a total red flag, I would definitely not be going on a second date with him if I were in your position. This is mostly based on the fact that I wouldn’t be interested in someone that drinks that much in one sitting anymore, let alone on a first date!

Edit: I’m not interested in anyone at all anymore other than my incredible husband, but just speaking theoretically!!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's necessarily a red flag for an alcohol problem, but if sees that as normal and you see it as a huge red flag, it probably means you're not compatible. I probably wouldn't drink that much on a first date (definitely not a dinner date, it would depend on what we were doing) but wouldn't think anything of drinking 4-5 drinks on a night out with girlfriends.

I get way too anxious about drinking and driving, so I don't drive if I'm going to have any drinks at all. To me, dealing with both the extra calories and paying for an uber or taking the extra time to take public transportation isn't worth it for 1-2 drinks. I either drive and just stick to diet coke or have 3-5 drinks (probably 3-4 at something like a happy hour, more like 5 at something like a night out dancing or a concert). I drink no more than once per week and often it ends up actually being once per month or so.

I think it's totally fine to set a limit that you're comfortable with and with dating obviously you're looking for someone that shares the same values. It's fine to say that you don't want to date anyone who drinks more than a glass or two of wine at dinner. I do think it's a little ridiculous to assume someone has an alcohol problem because you saw them have 4-5 drinks though, especially a guy that can presumably drink more than most women.

I used to be really close with this girl who partied like a 19 year old on spring break every time we started drinking...she never knew when to stop and would have tons of shots and drinks...at least 10+ every time, would black out most nights, and would be hungover for 2-3 days (which is a symptom of alcohol poisoning) every single time she went out. To me, that signals a problem with alcohol.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Mostly what others have said. But a little stronger on this point - any time you bring up a concern, VALID OR NOT, if the other person brushes it off, that's BAD. There are two separate issues here: (1) how much he drinks, which may or may not be a problem; and (2) your concern about it, which IS a problem. If he ignores or treats as unimportant the fact that this is something that worries you, it shows a lack of concern for YOU.
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    You don't have to have a reason to not want to date someone. It could be that his socks were the wrong color or pronounced "realtor" wrong (one of my pet peeves). If you don't want a second date, just tell him you're not compatible.

I went and double-checked my pronunciation ;) but seriously how DO people pronounce it? Isn't it like ... "real" + "ter"?
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Mostly what others have said. But a little stronger on this point - any time you bring up a concern, VALID OR NOT, if the other person brushes it off, that's BAD. There are two separate issues here: (1) how much he drinks, which may or may not be a problem; and (2) your concern about it, which IS a problem. If he ignores or treats as unimportant the fact that this is something that worries you, it shows a lack of concern for YOU.
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    You don't have to have a reason to not want to date someone. It could be that his socks were the wrong color or pronounced "realtor" wrong (one of my pet peeves). If you don't want a second date, just tell him you're not compatible.

I went and double-checked my pronunciation ;) but seriously how DO people pronounce it? Isn't it like ... "real" + "ter"?

You've got it right, but I hear so many people pronounce it "real-a-tore". It's such a small thing, but it bugs me.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it may or may not be dependency issue-but it does sound like you aren't a good match

and that's ok. next.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm with those that said that the bigger issue is how he treated you when you brought up a concern. I think that a person who will do that to someone they don't hardly know will DEFINITELY do that to someone they're in a relationship. I wouldn't go out with this guy again.