June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kat_ontherun
    kat_ontherun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I took a rest day yesterday since I was feeling pretty worn down from the last few days of higher mileage than I'm used to. Going to go out on another run during my lunch break today and after I get off work.

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Question: anyone use headphones that sit on your face and not in the ear? I'm looking to go wireless but have such issues with earbuds staying in. I was looking at a brand called aftershockz. The reviews seem mostly positive (even comments on a runners world Facebook post).

I have a pair of these:

plantronics backbeat FIT

They are in-ear wireless headphones, but because they loop over the back of the ear they need to fit less snugly. I find I can easily hear traffic around me whilst wearing them. They can be a bit of a pain when wearing glasses though, as there is competition for space, but it's nothing too uncomfortable. The sound is good, and easy to adjust volume when needed.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Well I'm still standing after the weekend's running activities.

In terms of physical recovery - no, I have not yet run (maybe Sunday should be recorded as a recovery run?) and have a longed-for yoga class tonight. A colleague and I did a yoga pose on the concrete outside our workshop at lunchtime and I can tell there's going to be some painful stretching tonight!!

By the next day after the marathon, my feet felt fine, and I had no blisters. My toenails all survived unscathed. My hips hurt a fair bit.

Monday - quads felt it. Not too bad that I couldn't go downstairs, but I did have to gently lower myself with help from my hands when using the toilet. Feet hurting as if I had bent my feet on either side.
    Tuesday - had a site meeting and climbed scaffold. quads still feeling it a bit but could sit down fine.
    Wednesday - another site meeting, but what hurts now are my calf muscles, and my feet a bit.

The worst thing I am suffering from actually is dehydration. We are having a bit of a heatwave here, with nighttime temperatures around 17 C (62F) and daytime 27C (80F). This is nothing to a lot of you guys, but is a shock to us Brits. But I feel like my dehydration is a knock on effect from the weekend, and others have said the same. The last couple of days I have been chugging back the water and really feeling thirsty. It's better today so I think it's passing.

Next question is - what now? I am considering doing an actual PLAN for something. Wondering about a 10k training plan to get my speed up. That I can do easily whilst having my weekends back to do other stuff. Do Hal Higdon plans do speedwork at all?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @alphahowls You continue to amaze and inspire me!!!!!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Question: anyone use headphones that sit on your face and not in the ear? I'm looking to go wireless but have such issues with earbuds staying in. I was looking at a brand called aftershockz. The reviews seem mostly positive (even comments on a runners world Facebook post).

@RunsOnEspresso I have a pair of wireless Afershockz and I love them. I got them for safety reasons. I can hear everything around me when I am running solo outside but the music is still clear. I bought a refurbished pair 6 months ago off Amazon and they are still working great.

Yah I only run with one ear bud to hear everything around me. Can other people hear what your listening to? I sometimes listen on the bus and hat when I can hear others stuff. Lol

@RunsOnEspresso The sound does bleed a little bit but that might be because I tend to listen to music way obscenely too loud. I have a conductive hearing loss from past ear surgeries and the bone conduction headphones help make the sound clearer.

I have seen an Aftershockz booth at a race expo in the past. If you have any races planned they might let you test them out there.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Since we are complaining about the weather .... [insert ugly, self-pitting, sob]

dvphqwvz5y46.png

@amymoreorless We need Heat Index and Dew Point to compare, though.

@midwesterner85 I don’t really want to look -LOL. I will talk myself out of my long run tomorrow if I keep checking the weather.

Not trying to compare. I was just complaining in general. Humidity always makes everything a million times more sucky. It starts feeling like you are running in Satan’s armpit when humidity levels go above 80%. I hope you get some relief from the heat and humidity soon. :)

I checked the forecast for Houston tomorrow - you should be slightly better than us in the evening, but not exactly ideal conditions. The difference is that I should have decent temps. early AM before sunrise while you are going to be worse off even during that time. Like I said, I'm not a morning person, but an effort to run early may be worthwhile. On the other hand, doesn't training in adverse weather provide a benefit when it comes to a race?! I mean comparing to runners who do not train in such weather...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I have no races until October. And that one doesn't have an expo. I hope to get something well before my marathon (November) so I can get used to them. I will look to see if Best Buy or some other store carries them. I didn't see them at Target when I went through recently.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since we are complaining about the weather .... [insert ugly, self-pitting, sob]

dvphqwvz5y46.png

@amymoreorless We need Heat Index and Dew Point to compare, though.

@midwesterner85 I don’t really want to look -LOL. I will talk myself out of my long run tomorrow if I keep checking the weather.

Not trying to compare. I was just complaining in general. Humidity always makes everything a million times more sucky. It starts feeling like you are running in Satan’s armpit when humidity levels go above 80%. I hope you get some relief from the heat and humidity soon. :)

I checked the forecast for Houston tomorrow - you should be slightly better than us in the evening, but not exactly ideal conditions. The difference is that I should have decent temps. early AM before sunrise while you are going to be worse off even during that time. Like I said, I'm not a morning person, but an effort to run early may be worthwhile. On the other hand, doesn't training in adverse weather provide a benefit when it comes to a race?! I mean comparing to runners who do not train in such weather...

On the other hand, heat stroke is not good training for anything...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I have a pair of these:

plantronics backbeat FIT

They are in-ear wireless headphones, but because they loop over the back of the ear they need to fit less snugly. I find I can easily hear traffic around me whilst wearing them. They can be a bit of a pain when wearing glasses though, as there is competition for space, but it's nothing too uncomfortable. The sound is good, and easy to adjust volume when needed.

Those are what I use also. They stay in place and are waterproof (submersible) which is a big deal for me. I normal burn through "sweatproof" headphones quickly, because they did not test that "proof" on someone like me :lol: These have held up over a year now, a huge leap over the all the others (even the much more expensive ones)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Your mileage is ridiculous!!!

Nasty storm right now, so I am stuck inside. I wish I could run to work off some stress. I’ve had two staff submit resignations in the last two days, and one is only working through Friday. It puts my office in quite a predicament, as we have 450+ patients to see with only a handful of therapists. I just keep telling myself that it will work out!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Jaybird is another option I was looking at.

I currently use yurbuds for women with the smallest ear piece. I've had several pairs over the last several years but I'm so sick of the wire.