06/11: 10.07 mile trail run, 9:26 pace
    06/12: Off, rest day
    06/13: 3.10 mile easy run, 9:20 pace + XT
    06/14: 8.02 miles- 1.6 wu; 2@10K pace; 2.8 miles fartlek; 1.6 cd
    06/15: XT + core
    06/16: 3.11 mile easy run, 9:18 pace + XT
    06/17: 16.00 mile long run, 9:32 pace
    06/18: XT
    06/19: 7.01 miles- 2 wu; 2x(1M@5K/3' rest); 2x(400m@1M/90" rest); 2.5 cd + strength
    Total: 97.94 miles

Last workout run today before Sunday's 10K race! Since we're so close to race day, this one was definitely on the shorter/easier side. 2 miles easy to warm up, then drills and a few strides. The workout was 2x1 mile repeats at 5K pace (splits were 6:55, 6:59) with 3 minutes rest between the miles, then 2x 1/4 mile repeats at mile pace (splits were 1:34, 1:34) with 90 seconds rest between. Cooled down for 2.5 miles to bring the total to 7 miles. I did this same workout 5 weeks ago on the tuesday before my last 10K, and I am pleased to say that I was a little faster this time and, more importantly, it felt easier. Definitely a good confidence-boosting last workout before my race!

In other news, I set a new PR during this run for red-winged blackbird attacks! I was attacked 5 different times, my old record was 3 attacks on a run last year. Does anyone else have to deal with these devils every year?? They are a huge nuisance in Chicago, especially along the lake front trail :weary:

wnulzo08qkl8.jpg
    (picture is not mine)

Upcoming Races
    06/07: Strides for Peace 5K PR and 3rd OA - 21:59
    06/24: Chicago 10K
    07/22: Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 10K
    10/07: Chicago Marathon
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @ariceroni we have them up here too along most of our trails and paths (SE Wisconsin)
    so far i've not been attacked but it might have to do with the dogs
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber yipes!
    @PastorVincent what a precious face on your pup. Sorry for your loss. We have a Labradoodle and she is without a doubt the most expensive mutt I have ever had. We wanted a big, non shedding dog that wouldn’t bother Skip’s asthma. Looked for months in shelters and nothing…so we went with the Labradoodle. Nothing like a good mutt.
    @mbaker566 how could anyone see that face and not take that baby to foster
    @RespectTheKitty glad you are feeling better
    @ariceroni what’s with the freaking birds? Wow never heard of a bird being so aggressive unless it’s a blue jay guarding its nest.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni yep, I was dive-bombed by two or three female red-wings during my lunchtime walk last week. I assume I must have got a little too close to a nest.

Saw a kingfisher and a hummingbird on today's walk, which was cool.
  • chrisahubbard
    chrisahubbard Posts: 201 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Wasn’t as hot. It was humid but not too bad.

6/4- 3.25
    6/5- 3.25
    6/6- 4.26
    6/7- 2.0
    6/8- 4.25
    6/18- 3.25
    6/19- 2.16

Total: 22.42/50
    Days: 7/20

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just had a bad thing happen and need help from anyone who has experienced something similar...

I ran this morning, several hours ago. For the last several hours, I've just been sitting at my desk at work mostly. I left for lunch. When I stood up from my car, turned, and started walking away from it, I felt something snap behind my left knee. It was immediately very painful... a sharp pain. This was 40 min. ago and it is still painful, but not as much. If I fully extend my knee, it is unbear-able. I don't know what it is in the back of my knee, but I can barely walk so I may not run until this is fixed.

I know, I should see a physician. But has anyone experienced something similar that can give some insight?

Ouch! I have no experience with this pain.

Who had the baker's cyst?

You have any swelling? Idk if you could have torn your mensicus?

Definitely get in to see the doc ASAP.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I just had a bad thing happen and need help from anyone who has experienced something similar...

I ran this morning, several hours ago. For the last several hours, I've just been sitting at my desk at work mostly. I left for lunch. When I stood up from my car, turned, and started walking away from it, I felt something snap behind my left knee. It was immediately very painful... a sharp pain. This was 40 min. ago and it is still painful, but not as much. If I fully extend my knee, it is unbear-able. I don't know what it is in the back of my knee, but I can barely walk so I may not run until this is fixed.

I know, I should see a physician. But has anyone experienced something similar that can give some insight?

@rheddmobile Does this sound like what happened when you ruptured the Baker's cyst?
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited June 2018
    Options
    deleted post it was messing up the quote
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't know what it is in the back of my knee, but I can barely walk so I may will not run until this is fixed.

FTFY - I hope it's nothing serious but don't be a hero.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@rheddmobile Does this sound like what happened when you ruptured the Baker's cyst?

The cyst was a noticeable but painless bulge which caused pressure on the back of my knee before it ruptured during a side stretch, and a sharp stinging when it ruptured, followed by severe swelling and pain in the calf which came up gradually continued to worsen over several days. The knee itself got less uncomfortable after the rupture because the pressure was relieved. But I understand my case was fairly unusual and it's more usual for a rupture to be so painful you can't put weight on the leg. The main thing with a ruptured cyst is that your muscles don't appreciate being doused in synovial fluid so there is significant calf swelling which mimics the appearance of a blood clot.

I've had an acl tear in the past and this sounds more similar to that - occurred during turning, snapping sensation, followed by pain - except that I would expect serious swelling with an acl. Maybe meniscus? Regardless get to a doctor pronto, there are lots of cases where quick intervention makes a difference. If I had gotten my cyst drained before it ruptured it would have saved me months of trouble.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your sage advice and wisdom @MobyCarp. I hear what you are saying, and I will keep the running shoes in the closet for a few more days (at least). I still feel a sensation if I do any kind of hop or sudden weight shift on my left leg, so I will not risk running. I hate to miss my mileage goal, but that is so inconsequential compared to getting seriously injured and being on the couch for months.

@midwesterner85 I sincerely hope your knee pain is a very temporary anomaly and nothing major! I don't really have any experience with knee pain (knock on wood)!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I hope it's nothing serious.
    @rheddmobile that is really scary that someone feels they need to carry a gun to get into their car. I'm sorry your neighborhood is not safe.