June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    No run yesterday due to being really, really tired. Still tired today but I intend to run in the evening regardless.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I had to google BG because I didn't know what it was, or if I had it, or if it was contagious, or if I should test for it. I was getting a little worried because after reading about how people here had it, it sounded bad and I thought I could possibly die on one of my runs if I didn't find a cure. Then I saw it was just sciencey math stuff that I would need a sliderule and a test tube to figure out, so I stopped reading, grateful that I would not have to stop running like a neanderthal.

Diabetes :) BG = Blood Glucose, and those of us with issues have to pay attention to it through various means of testing. @midwesterner has far more problems with it than I, or probably most in this thread, but several of us struggle with it. A "normal" person normally does not even need to think about it.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ahh... I just saw this complicated math formula and my eyes kinda glazed over. I never got to the diabetes part. Now it makes sense. I assumed it was the next thing up from heart rate monitors... which even they are too complicated for me and give me more information that I can process...lol... but I can see that running long distances with diabetes could be problematic... especially races with crappy aid stations.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I sat down last night and planned my half marathon training. Given the half is 7 weeks out I will be starting on week 6 of the plan (next week) but the mileage is roughly equivalent to before I got sick so I think I'm good.

I would like to not die, haha

@sarahthes "Not dying"" is my goal for every half and full marathon - LOL

I have that goal even when not in a race!

Fun story, though... I stopped several times during my last race (20K) to test my BG. It dropped to 38 mg/dl by mile 5, I was able to get it up to 49 mg/dl at mile 6 and then it leveled out in the 40's for the rest of the race. When I stopped to test at mile 8, one of the paramedics came up and was talking to me. It was 49 mg/dl again/still at that point and he said that was "very low." I pointed out that I've been much lower and fine before, but that it would definitely slow me down. Then added, "as long as ya'll don't have to come pick me up off the street, I'll be ok with the slow time."

I have been told that "below 70 is low" and "below 50 is very bad" - but I have been in the 30s, and even the 20s and not died. The 20s was NOT FUN and I could not imagine racing like that.

ETA: I should add, that when I got into the 20's I actually collapsed and all that...

I've been less than 20 (not sure exactly what because my meter just says LO below 20) and completely conscious and aware. I've also passed out in the 30's. My observation is that I tolerate lows better when active and alert. The time I know I was 30's and passed out, I was just watching TV. I stood up and felt low at that point - went to test BG, saw the result, and realized I was going to faint. I quickly grabbed some candy and literally folded (i.e. shoved and folded in as I quickly chewed/swallowed) 2 candy bars into my mouth as I headed to bed where I wouldn't hurt myself by falling. It was probably less than 1 min. between when I tested and when I went unconscious. The candy bars later hit my blood stream and I woke up 20-some odd minutes later.

I've been told that the more lows you have the less you are able to feel them. The nervous system loses the ability to respond after a few years.

Since I'm a recent type 2 I can still really feel it if I go under 80 - under 70 and I feel bad. I can't imagine racing at 38, I would be on the ground! But I don't normally have lows since I'm not on meds anymore. I do carry Smarties in my pocket for emergency glucose.

Hypoglycemic unawareness is fairly common for type 1's eventually. I've been a type 1 for 23 years and still feel most (not all) lows. The 38 I didn't feel, but I don't normally when running. My CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) alerted me I was dropping fast. CGM's are not real-time because they use interstitial fluid... this lags about 10-20 min. behind BG. So when it alerted me that I was dropping fast, it thought I was 120's. The 120's did not prompt me to do a blood test; it was that I was falling fast. I don't remember what the CGM said when I tested at 49 the 1st time (mile 6), but I remember that the CGM was showing 48 at mile 8 when the blood meter was 49. Seeing how I was consistent / BG was stable instead of changing up/down quickly (blood glucose of 49 at both mile 6 and mile 8), it makes sense that the CGM matched closely to BG. If you consider those 2 miles were not exactly fast (IDK... maybe 20-25 min.) and the CGM trends roughly 10-20 min. behind BG, it makes sense that it matched pretty close to the meter. I started around 160's and was down to 38 BG / 120's SG (Sensor Glucose using interstitial fluid from the CGM) at mile 5 because SG lags behind BG and I had been dropping fast during those first 5 miles.

In short, the CGM alerted me to a potential low in that case even though I didn't exactly feel low. CGM technology helps some diabetics when we don't feel lows. Some diabetics with hypoglycemic unawareness have diabetic alert dogs. These dogs are service animals specifically trained for a particular patient to identify hypoglycemia. My understanding is something in our sweat / body odor changes that dogs are capable of smelling.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I am a very careless aid station eater. I hit them with reckless abandon and discovered you can get really cool stuff off the "hidden menu" if you just ask. Once on a particularly chilly race, I jokingly asked for bourbon and this dude pulled out a flask. I was thrilled.

i lucked out and got a bit of whiskey once
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Looks like the dogs can detect ketones for highs but the article I found just said 'unique smell' for lows.

Apparently some can be trained to dial 911! (On a special phone.)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Looks like the dogs can detect ketones for highs but the article I found just said 'unique smell' for lows.

Max Domi (nhl player) has a service dog for his type 1. During games he uses a meter but his dog will wake him if he's getting too low. The Coyotes had a video about it a while back. I think his dog is at some games as well.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I eat very low carb, so always have ketones. Even humans can often smell ketone breath, but there is also a huge difference between levels of ketones with ketosis (safe level resulting from diet) and diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA is a deadly level of ketones and comes with other hormone, mineral, and electrolyte imbalances).

If one is testing BG even once or twice per day (I test around 6-10 times daily), they should recognize a high before it is too late. Low BG / hypoglycemia is a more immediate problem. With a high BG / hyperglycemia and DKA, I may not feel great over the next several hours, but I'm not going to die for another day or 2 (maybe even 3-5 days). The threshold for an emergency situation takes time to build. Even when I have had an insulin delivery problem overnight and woke up high after several hours of no insulin, I've still been able to fix it throughout the next day without professional medical care.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I am a very careless aid station eater. I hit them with reckless abandon and discovered you can get really cool stuff off the "hidden menu" if you just ask. Once on a particularly chilly race, I jokingly asked for bourbon and this dude pulled out a flask. I was thrilled.

the race series I have been doing has a 'Lovestation' aid station somewhere along the line. Beer, cider and homemade spirits are available.

I am somewhat concerned because I'll be doing a mostly self-navigated race with another organiser in November. If I'm lucky there'll be water. Hmmm, might take the hip flask......
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat How long is your self-navigated race? And does that mean you are essentially self-supported or does that also mean the course is not marked very well? I ran a 50k a couple of years ago where property owners claimed the trail ran across their property... a few of them brandished rifles and took down/moved trail markers to dissuade runners... more than once, that race became a bit "self-navigated".
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Some diabetics with hypoglycemic unawareness have diabetic alert dogs. These dogs are service animals specifically trained for a particular patient to identify hypoglycemia. My understanding is something in our sweat / body odor changes that dogs are capable of smelling.

Our useless dog "alerts" to both highs and lows by barking at my son and acting like he is a burglar. He also is terrified of the smell of insulin. We can keep him out of an area by putting a sharps box of used bd needles nearby.

He's cute though. Both of them, actually. :)

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Early on the Boston course, still in the town of Hopkinton, you run past a bar or tavern or something and people have plastic cups with beer held out just like a water station. Boston Irish, I guess. I don't do alcohol, so I can't vouch for the quality of the beer; maybe Sam Adams, since that's a sponsor.

I don't know the legal age for drinking in Massachusetts, but they don't let you run the marathon unless you're at least 18 years old on race day. EDIT TO ADD: They do card you for beer at the pre-race pasta dinner.
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Goal is 30 miles by the 30th.
    June 18- Easy 3 miles 35:10
    June 19- 3.2 miles 38:20 Took it easy- HIIT class tonight.
    June 20- Another easy 3 miles in 36:00 as I am sore from my knees to my neck from last nights HIIT class :#
    June 21- 4.65 Miles 47:12 Hill intervals
    June 22- Upper body strength. No run
    June 23- 3.95 miles 45:00 Intervals at race pace 400m;800m;1200m;1600m;800m; 3 min recoveries
    June 24- “long run” 5.5 miles 60:00
    June 25- Easy 3.25 miles 37:45
    June 26- HIIT class 60 minutes. No run
    June 27- 3 miles 50:00 My quads and butt are completed shredded after last night’s HIIT class. Tried to run but could only manage a walk. Stairs are unbearable :s
    June 28 - Still very sore. Took a rest day
    June 29 - 3.25 miles 37:45 Feeling better but butt :D is still feeling the split squat jumps from Tuesday’s HIIT.
    Total: 30 goal + 2.80 :)