June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I sat down last night and planned my half marathon training. Given the half is 7 weeks out I will be starting on week 6 of the plan (next week) but the mileage is roughly equivalent to before I got sick so I think I'm good.

I would like to not die, haha

@sarahthes "Not dying"" is my goal for every half and full marathon - LOL

I have that goal even when not in a race!

Fun story, though... I stopped several times during my last race (20K) to test my BG. It dropped to 38 mg/dl by mile 5, I was able to get it up to 49 mg/dl at mile 6 and then it leveled out in the 40's for the rest of the race. When I stopped to test at mile 8, one of the paramedics came up and was talking to me. It was 49 mg/dl again/still at that point and he said that was "very low." I pointed out that I've been much lower and fine before, but that it would definitely slow me down. Then added, "as long as ya'll don't have to come pick me up off the street, I'll be ok with the slow time."

I have been told that "below 70 is low" and "below 50 is very bad" - but I have been in the 30s, and even the 20s and not died. The 20s was NOT FUN and I could not imagine racing like that.

ETA: I should add, that when I got into the 20's I actually collapsed and all that...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso - I did not catch all of the conversation on the earbuds, but I wanted to chime in because I have super small ears and small size is my number one requirement for purchase. My wired headphones are Yurbuds and they work fine for me with the smallest covers. My husband recently bought me wireless jaybirds for Christmas. He did a lot of research to determine which ones would work best for my small ears. I have to say, I do not love them. They are still a little bigger than I would like and the sound quality is not as good as my Yurbuds, but maybe that is the price I have to pay for wireless. I would definitely recommend trying some on before you buy them if you are able to.

I am going to go try a few out in the next couple of weeks. I am willing to pay more for them but I need to make sure they will stay in. I think Yurbud has wireless but not in the women's style which makes me hesitate since I am the smallest size of the women's.

So earbuds are VERY personal. I have tried the Jlabs Epic2s and The Jaybirds (and several other brands)- BOTH failed within a few months of daily use because they are not waterproof enough to hold up to my levels of sweat. I liked them both for wear, though I had a hard time getting good fit. JLabs actually sent me FOUR complete replacement sets trying to prove to me their product was quality. heh.

ONLY the Plantronics Backbeat has held up for me. They are slightly uncomfortable with my sunglasses (Under Armor, of course, :lol: ) but you get used to it after a while.

But again, like shoes, this is a very personal choice so you will have to see what works for you. :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/18 :::: 1.4 :::: 1.4
    06/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 1.4
    06/03/18 :::: 13.1 :::: 14.5
    06/04/18 :::: 0.8 :::: 15.3
    06/05/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 18.9
    06/06/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 22.4
    06/07/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/08/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/09/18 :::: 9.0 :::: 31.4
    06/10/18 :::: 6.9 :::: 38.2
    06/11/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 41.3
    06/12/18 :::: 5.2 :::: 46.5
    06/13/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 46.5
    06/14/18 :::: 10.0 :::: 56.5
    06/15/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 59.7
    06/16/18 :::: 4.9 :::: 64.6
    06/17/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 67.9
    06/18/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 71.0
    06/19/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 74.2
    06/20/18 :::: 6.6 :::: 80.8
    06/21/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 80.8
    06/22/18 :::: 2.7 :::: 83.5
    06/23/18 :::: 10.3 :::: 93.8
    06/24/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 96.9
    06/25/18 :::: 2.7 :::: 99.7
    06/26/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 105.2
    06/27/18 :::: 6.3 :::: 111.4
    06/28/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 114.5/110 mile goal

Despite the forecast, it didn't rain today and the heat wave has not yet arrived so no excuse for not getting a run in. I'm ready for an off day though. I wish I had time to do my long run tomorrow though before it heads into the 90s for several days straight.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I sat down last night and planned my half marathon training. Given the half is 7 weeks out I will be starting on week 6 of the plan (next week) but the mileage is roughly equivalent to before I got sick so I think I'm good.

Fun story, though... I stopped several times during my last race (20K) to test my BG. It dropped to 38 mg/dl by mile 5, I was able to get it up to 49 mg/dl at mile 6 and then it leveled out in the 40's for the rest of the race. When I stopped to test at mile 8, one of the paramedics came up and was talking to me. It was 49 mg/dl again/still at that point and he said that was "very low." I pointed out that I've been much lower and fine before, but that it would definitely slow me down. Then added, "as long as ya'll don't have to come pick me up off the street, I'll be ok with the slow time."

I have been told that "below 70 is low" and "below 50 is very bad" - but I have been in the 30s, and even the 20s and not died. The 20s was NOT FUN and I could not imagine racing like that.

ETA: I should add, that when I got into the 20's I actually collapsed and all that...

I've been less than 20 (not sure exactly what because my meter just says LO below 20) and completely conscious and aware. I've also passed out in the 30's. My observation is that I tolerate lows better when active and alert. The time I know I was 30's and passed out, I was just watching TV. I stood up and felt low at that point - went to test BG, saw the result, and realized I was going to faint. I quickly grabbed some candy and literally folded (i.e. shoved and folded in as I quickly chewed/swallowed) 2 candy bars into my mouth as I headed to bed where I wouldn't hurt myself by falling. It was probably less than 1 min. between when I tested and when I went unconscious. The candy bars later hit my blood stream and I woke up 20-some odd minutes later.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.

June Running:
    05.28.18 - 06.03.18: Running Miles 41.5 / Weekly TSS 497 / Fitness: 71 CTL
    06.04.18 - 06.10.19: Running Miles 46.2 / Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL
    06.11.18 - 06.17.18: Running Miles 49.3 / Weekly TSS 725 / Fitness: 77 CTL
    06.18.18 - 06.24.18: Running Miles 38.6 / Weekly TSS 412 / Fitness: 75 CTL

Goals 6/25/18 - 7/1/18:
    Run: 6 Days, plus a LR of 15 on Sunday. Bike 32 on Saturday

Base 1 : Week 4 of 4
    06.25.18 - 6 m. Hoping that my determination is returning.
    06.26.18 - 7.1 m.
    06.27.18 - 9.4 m.
    06.28.18 - 7.3 m. Low on energy today.

Upcoming Events:
    06.30.18 Sat - Red, White, Bike - 32 miler

• PastorVincent
    Options

I've been less than 20 (not sure exactly what because my meter just says LO below 20) and completely conscious and aware. I've also passed out in the 30's. My observation is that I tolerate lows better when active and alert. The time I know I was 30's and passed out, I was just watching TV. I stood up and felt low at that point - went to test BG, saw the result, and realized I was going to faint. I quickly grabbed some candy and literally folded (i.e. shoved and folded in as I quickly chewed/swallowed) 2 candy bars into my mouth as I headed to bed where I wouldn't hurt myself by falling. It was probably less than 1 min. between when I tested and when I went unconscious. The candy bars later hit my blood stream and I woke up 20-some odd minutes later.

Interesting. I was sitting at my computer reading. Not much different than watching TV I would guess.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@Elise4270 Really? You are awesome-sauce! PM sent

She is pretty awesome! She sent me the other cookbook she talked about and I have made a bunch of stuff from it.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    About to do yoga for today. I'm getting all my plans together so I can add my swimming in starting in 11 days.
    So my week will be M-swim, T-Run, W-swim, Th-group run/workout, Fri - Yoga. Boys have swim lessons. Sat - Long group bike ride and then soccer with the boys. Sun, run. I'm hoping that the swim and yoga is enough of a "rest" for the week.

Anyway, y'all inspire me to be better! Happy almost end of June!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Interesting. I was sitting at my computer reading. Not much different than watching TV I would guess.

interesting that you can handle lows better if they occur during activity. I'm not diabetic but have a large number of close family members who are Type 1, so have a fair amount of experience of diabetic lows. Actually had to leave the room last night whilst a TV documentary showed an old man in the throes of a diabetic coma - most people don't realise it's not all about going floppy and unconscious, nor do they realise how quickly it can be over and go back to normal without requiring a hospital stay. He'd started with a low of 2.3mmol/L (41mg/dL) and dropped to 1.3 (23) and was anything but conscious, so shows how varied a persons response can be if you both can handle those kind of lows at times without requiring paramedic intervention.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I've been told that the more lows you have the less you are able to feel them. The nervous system loses the ability to respond after a few years.

Since I'm a recent type 2 I can still really feel it if I go under 80 - under 70 and I feel bad. I can't imagine racing at 38, I would be on the ground! But I don't normally have lows since I'm not on meds anymore. I do carry Smarties in my pocket for emergency glucose.