Down right SABOTAGE...what's up with that???

Options
OK...so I get on the scales Friday morning and I am down to 146. I log it in..feel great all day and then the dreaded weekend begins.

I get in my car to go see my boyfriend, who lives an hour and a half away...when I get out of the car I morph into an eating machine. I don't know if it's the geographical difference, the alignment of the moon, alien intervention, the time difference...or what the heck...but I start eating garbage.

I ate tortilla chips, strawberry cheesecake, chicken wings...etc. I felt sick when I came home on Sunday morning. And the best part came this morning when I stepped on the scales and it showed 150. *&^%^**&%$# ....the only person to blame is the one standing on the scales. ME.... And I wonder why it's taking so long to lose the weight. DUH!!!!

One good thing is...we did hit the gym and I did run for 30 mins straight burning over 300 calories. But let's face it...I ate way more than I burned.

So MFP peeps...how do you handle your weekends? Weekdays are no sweat...it's the bloody weekends.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my weekends too but only get on the scales once a week, 5pm on a friday, weight goes up and down during the week
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I morph into an eating machine. And I was just thinking that it would be nice to weigh in tomorrow and be the same weight as last
    Friday.
  • Larry1369
    Options
    You ate a high calorie high sodium diet. It's water so just relax and just weigh yourself weekly first thing in the morning, just pick your day.
  • lerachase
    Options
    For me, the dreaded word is planning. The not so dreaded word is support. I agree that weekdays are easy because they're much more structured, makes it much easier to plan what you're eating around the rest of your schedule. If you can apply a touch of that weekly planning to the more fluid weekend (at least for food) it could help. Not that I shape my weekends around eating, but if I know there are going to be tasty treats I can plan for them or at least get my resolve going about not eating that entire tray of deviled eggs just because they're delicious and there. Make any kind of sense? Maybe with such a distance you can bring a cooler of healthy snacks or something. Also, get the boy on board! Having the support of loved ones can make all the difference.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem!! My boyfriend also lives an hour and a half away. The biggest problem for me is that I have no access to a gym there and I normally have no motivation to work out.

Its also horribly tempting to be there because I always cook something non-healthy for him (because he doesn't like my healthy food) and then I always want to eat it.

I am sure that I always gain on the weekends. I just need to keep telling myself that just because its the weekend doesn't mean I get time off from my diet, even if I had been super good all week! It would also help a ton if he was into exercising with me.

I hope you find a solution, and when you do, hit me up because I'd like to know!
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Aww :( I feel your pain, I am def my own worst enemy too.

I think our prob is that we are just so suggestable and we like the idea of being easy going and 'enjoying' our special times - and if you are anything like me, happy social gatherings always tend to involve delicious (but not always nutritious) foods that those boys seem to be able to pack away with little repercussion - darn them!

I am really trying to learn to think for myself in social eating situations, and accept that its ok to order something different, skip dessert even if everyone else is having some, or simply stay away from the finger food table.

Hopefully we can both beat those bad habits!!
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can enjoy your weekends, just only allow yourself one meal in a smaller portion on the weekend and if you are still working out, you should be fine.
  • wildone31
    Options
    OK...so I get on the scales Friday morning and I am down to 146. I log it in..feel great all day and then the dreaded weekend begins.

I get in my car to go see my boyfriend, who lives an hour and a half away...when I get out of the car I morph into an eating machine. I don't know if it's the geographical difference, the alignment of the moon, alien intervention, the time difference...or what the heck...but I start eating garbage.

I ate tortilla chips, strawberry cheesecake, chicken wings...etc. I felt sick when I came home on Sunday morning. And the best part came this morning when I stepped on the scales and it showed 150. *&^%^**&%$# ....the only person to blame is the one standing on the scales. ME.... And I wonder why it's taking so long to lose the weight. DUH!!!!

One good thing is...we did hit the gym and I did run for 30 mins straight burning over 300 calories. But let's face it...I ate way more than I burned.

So MFP peeps...how do you handle your weekends? Weekdays are no sweat...it's the bloody weekends.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

One weekend can not undo all you hard work. Keep going.

I used to fear the weekends but I learned to prep my food for the weekends just like I do the weekdays. Plus I love, love, love to snack in the car on my hour long drives in and out of civilization (I live in the country) so I take fruit and water with me. Always! I know all this sounds boring, but I had learned to have stronger will power. Plus Junk foods make me feel sicker than taking a multi vitamin on an empty stomach. Over the weekends if I feel hungry I check the time and if its only 2hrs since I last ate I have a snack. If its been 4 to 6 hrs I have a meal. And if I'm up too late I take my shrinking butt to bed!! lol

Beside most of the weight you gained is from the side effects from the junk foods. Next week after a few good bm's (sorry if that's to foward) you will be right back on track.

ONE LOVE
  • Laquaya
    Laquaya Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    same here. Just started 3wks ago and only dwn 5lbs..discouraging.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to do that too! I agree with PP that planning is the key.

Did you drink a ton of water this weekend? You might cut some of the water retention from all that stuff you ate by adding some lemon to your water for the next few days. I'm sure it's just sodium.. do you really tihnk you ate an excess 14000 cals this weekend?

Weekends are the devil because i did so good during the week, I just want to treat myself!

Don't be too hard on yourself, next weekend is another weekend. Try to show it whose boss! GL!
  • wildone31
    Options

Don't let yourself be discouraged, just keep going. #'s dow or #'s the same is good to me. Some weeks your weight loss is big, other times its small, there is the the weekend! lol But as long as you keep up with your workouts and eating right, you'll be fine. In no time you will be at your goal!

Don't get so caught up on your weight #. My weight has stopped but I'm losing inches like crazy and my fat percentage is falling like the stock market! But its due to thw eight training, I think I see more lbs loss when do lots of cardio, but I love how the weights shape me up faster.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly.. it's one day, one weekend.. just start back up today, no biggie.

I hopped on the scale this weekend after eating out and what not and it said I gained 3 pounds.. that means I would have had to eat 10,500 extra calories.. in 3 days? I think not.
  • SydandPaigesMom
    SydandPaigesMom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Honestly what helps me keep myself in check on the weekends is the fact that my weigh in day is Monday. I did horrible one weekend, hopped on the scale Monday morning and was up .8 lbs from the week before, despite working my butt off and eating right the rest of the week.

Because I have weigh in Monday I always stop and think, do I really want to eat that? I want to see movement on the scale (downwards of course) more than I want that bag of chips, chocolate bar, etc.

Also I am in 2 weight loss groups. One has a weigh in day of Tuesday and the other Wednesday, so 3 days a week I am putting my numbers out there for all to see. It really does make me not eat things I likely would have if I had 2 or 3 days to work it off.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I often spend weekends away from home, too, and my salvation is that I plan ahead and TAKE the food with me. I take things to prepare for meals and for snacks. That way I have it readily available. If I don't have the things I need then I WILL snack/eat the things that are there...........

Good luck....I know what you are going through.....I didn't plan appropriately this weekend and ended up eating ice cream....far too much.....and felt horrible for blowing it..... :(

But, today's a new day....I am starting over and moving on!!!
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Routine is key when losing weight. What you need to do is have your plans set in stone on what you will do on the weekends. If you're going to see your boyfriend, it may be a good idea to plan what you'll eat beforehand. Pack some food, or even log in what you'll eat on MFP before you eat it so that you know your limit.

Don't beat yourself up because you splurged a little. It's not the end of the world; just remember to start back up on Monday, and to try better next time.

Best of luck!!
  • datxdiva
    datxdiva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We all do it. Friday I was 226 that was a 4lb weight loss for the week. Was feeling good and on track to stay under calorie till husband decided he wanted In and Out Burger for dinner. No one forced me to eat there but I was curious since the chain has only been in TX for a few months. The next morning I was up to 231, been working hard all weekend to get back to 226. 1 more lb to go. On the bright side I have exercised more in the last the 3 days than I have in weeks!
  • Eunified
    Eunified Posts: 51
    Options
    Weekends are usually terrible but have been better now that me & my boyfriend are both trying to lose weight..

I am trying to stick to cooking my meals and planning ahead for them. Eating out was our biggest problem so by eating food made at home, we're already making a healhier choice! =) Either way, as long as your weekly calorie total is not too high, you're not going to gain all the weight back in a weekend. Just keep making good choices throughout the week!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

You're doing great! Healthy loss is between 1-2 pounds a week and you're in the target!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Honestly what helps me keep myself in check on the weekends is the fact that my weigh in day is Monday. I did horrible one weekend, hopped on the scale Monday morning and was up .8 lbs from the week before, despite working my butt off and eating right the rest of the week.

Because I have weigh in Monday I always stop and think, do I really want to eat that? I want to see movement on the scale (downwards of course) more than I want that bag of chips, chocolate bar, etc.

Also I am in 2 weight loss groups. One has a weigh in day of Tuesday and the other Wednesday, so 3 days a week I am putting my numbers out there for all to see. It really does make me not eat things I likely would have if I had 2 or 3 days to work it off.

I weigh myself in on Monday as well.... for the same reason as above... it helps keep me in check, and I think twice about what I put in my mouth over the weekend.

It is hard because there is typically less structure (and possibly more eating out) on the weekend. But... try to remember this is a lifestyle change... not just a diet. It's OK to eat those things you listed, but... portion control / moderation is key. Also... try to drink as much water as possible. That will help with cravings and with all the sodium you might intake.

And... as others have said.... don't fret.... just jump back on the bandwagon.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard. I decide which meal is going to be my "big calorie" meal and log it. Then I work the other meals around it...and ramp up the exercise a bit.