Experiencing lower than normal blood pressure after losing weight

Options
Anybody else experience this? Would this be normal? I'm talking 90/60 whereas at my heavier weight my blood pressure was always reliably 120/80. Just wanted to ask here before I bother my doctor ;)

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Mine dropped too. Can't tell you the actual numbers offhand, but yes, it's a thing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bother your doctor...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you exercise that is pretty common. Unless you feel faint or something that's on the bottom edge of normal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You should check with your doctor to be sure, especially if you start experiencing symptoms like dizziness. We can’t know whether you’re just very fit or have an underlying problem—only your doctor can tell you that.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's on the lower range of the spectrum, but a face to face evaluation is required in any meaningful assessment.

It's also quite normal to expect your blood pressure to change with any change in weight, especially lowering bp associated with weight loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you're not experience dizziness or fainting, you don't have a problem. But that only counts if your doctor says it.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous! Lost weight, still cannot get off one BP medication!!
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Mine did. 90/60 is still normal. I got below that while still eating at a deficit and trying to lose just a few more pounds. While feeling very tired one day I took my BP and it was 88/56, so I decided to stop trying to lose and start maintenance. I’m in the healthy weight range for my height. I also add salt to my food and no longer avoid it. It keeps my BP at or just above 90/60.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Anybody else experience this? Would this be normal? I'm talking 90/60 whereas at my heavier weight my blood pressure was always reliably 120/80. Just wanted to ask here before I bother my doctor ;)

mine too are in these areas now that I lost weight .mine was always 118-119/75 or a little higher. but always in normal range. my dr said as long as Im not having any other side effects then not to worry too much.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and slender, my blood pressure was routinely no more than 90/60. I was a runner. My docs never worried about it.

Estrogen helps women with this esp. when they are young and fit. Women lose some of that edge after menopause.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    When I was younger and slender, my blood pressure was routinely no more than 90/60. I was a runner. My docs never worried about it.

Estrogen helps women with this esp. when they are young and fit. Women lose some of that edge after menopause.

well Im about to be 44(perimenopausal)and not a runner or slender lol. on birth control but been on it for years no so its not that at least not for me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Yeah, happened to me as well. I fainted a few times upon standing up. I feel better at a slightly higher weight.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I raised my sodium intake to 2300 and it improved slightly
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    Mine did. 90/60 is still normal. I got below that while still eating at a deficit and trying to lose just a few more pounds. While feeling very tired one day I took my BP and it was 88/56, so I decided to stop trying to lose and start maintenance. I’m in the healthy weight range for my height. I also add salt to my food and no longer avoid it. It keeps my BP at or just above 90/60.

Thank you for mentioning salt. I have not added salt to my food in years and had completely forgotten that it can increase blood pressure. I am also in maintenance, and at the lower end of "normal weight" for my height (121 lbs @5' 6").

Thanks to each of you who took the time to comment and offer suggestions and reassurance :)

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »

Thank you for mentioning salt. I have not added salt to my food in years and had completely forgotten that it can increase blood pressure. I am also in maintenance, and at the lower end of "normal weight" for my height (121 lbs @5' 6").

Thanks to each of you who took the time to comment and offer suggestions and reassurance :)

I'm supposed to eat 8 grams of salt per day for low BP. Thats a lot so I just put as much salt as possible on all my food.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    92/36 with a Heart rate of 42. I still have weight to lose so im nervous it will go lower. Ive been eating 3-4g's of sodium daily, so we will see if that makes a difference. I dont have a symptoms right now
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Mine is always around 85-90/55-60 resting HR 40-43 and I feel fine. Before weight loss it was 120/80. I eat 10k+ sodium. I wouldn't worry unless you feel side effects and think it could be caused from something serious. It means your heart is efficiently pumping enough O2 to your body and lower HR and BP prolong life. (Unless it is caused by a medical issue)