Satisfying A Sweet Tooth

Options
Does anybody have any tips for satisfying a craving for sweets. I normally have a pretty serious sweet tooth but when I start to diet the cravings get worse and almost impossible to resist. Are there any healthy choices I can make to satisfy these cravings without sabotaging my diet? I also crave salt alot...especially chips. I've been allowing myself to eat pork rinds because they are lower in calories than chips but after a while I get tired of them. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :]

Replies

• DECAFLiving
    DECAFLiving Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find cutting out carbs (doing south beach diet) really gets rid of all the food cravings. Failing that just find low cal options instead.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My favorite "dessert" as i call it, is a nice big bowl of lightt vanilla yogurt, cut up straberries and some yogurt :)
    Ive also made a very delcious wrap with a wheat flatbread wrap, lettuce, tomatos, turkey, bacon (you can leave out to get rid of some calories) and a bit of strawberry cream cheese on the wrap to make it sweet :) It mightt not sound right with the cream cheese, but its delicious! Under 400 cals for a nice big satisfying wrap
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like Nutella sandwiches on whole wheat bread. It is 200 calories for a 2 tbsp. serving
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    i go for 2 squares of Lindt 70% dark choc- it's enough like a sweet snack to satisfy the craving, and extremely good for you! Plus it's so rich you might not be tempted to finish the pack ;)
  • holpan11
    holpan11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i warm up 300ml of skimmed milk in the mic, two teaspoons of coffee and a load of low cal sweetner. Satisfies my sweet tooth and tides meover till lunch :)
  • LisaRussell27
    Options
    I have discovered Nutella for my chocolate cravings. One tablespoon (which is a lot of Nutella) has only 5 calories and 1 carb. It might help your craving for sweets too. Hope it helps. x
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hit the Quaker Mini-Delight snack packs when my sweet tooth hits -- 90 cals and just enough sweetness to satisfy me :wink:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    For the sweet tooth eat a serving of hershey's dark chocolate candy. For the salt fix eat some sea salted peanuts or other nuts of choice.
  • mariedingle
    Options
    I've seen so many suggestions for sweet and salty solutions! What I really like are the Skinny cow sweet things that they make!! From candy to ice cream products. My favorite salty thing is Sensible Portions vegetable straws that come in 4 flavors. You can have 38 straws and what a treat!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I have discovered Nutella for my chocolate cravings. One tablespoon (which is a lot of Nutella) has only 5 calories and 1 carb. It might help your craving for sweets too. Hope it helps. x

What kind of nutella are you eating? There are 100 calories in 1 tbls. of nutella.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I meant and some granolla with the strawberries and yogurt :P
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow individual icecream 80 Cals

1x Scotch Finger Biscuit 88 Cals

Kit Kat 107 Cals

Freedom Gluten Free Cookie X1 76 Cals

Frozen half a banana blended with a little agave and cinnamon (Tastes like ice-cream!)

I buy the little individual portions of ice-cream, fun size 2 square chocolate or kit kat's. That way I only have the one treat with a cup of tea in the evenings! Nothing is really off limits. It's just the portion size! You basically can have mostly any of the mini fun sized sweets! Just check the nutrition information. I make sure they are only around 100 cal in damage =)
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My favorite "dessert" as i call it, is a nice big bowl of lightt vanilla yogurt, cut up straberries and some yogurt :)
    Ive also made a very delcious wrap with a wheat flatbread wrap, lettuce, tomatos, turkey, bacon (you can leave out to get rid of some calories) and a bit of strawberry cream cheese on the wrap to make it sweet :) It mightt not sound right with the cream cheese, but its delicious! Under 400 cals for a nice big satisfying wrap

Looking Forward To Trying This!!! Thank You!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I like dark chocolate for the sweet tooth....for the salt craving try salted sunflower seeds. Good luck!
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    i go for 2 squares of Lindt 70% dark choc- it's enough like a sweet snack to satisfy the craving, and extremely good for you! Plus it's so rich you might not be tempted to finish the pack ;)

Dark Chocolate is my FAVORITE! This might be a good idea as long as I can resist eating too much of it. How often do you allow yourself to have it? Everyday?
  • MandaLen13
    Options

I also love Nutella. I had no idea it was so low in calories. I usually pass it up at the store because I assumed it was loaded with fat and calories! This is nice to know! :]
  • heathergettingfit
    Options
    Incorporate fruit into your diet. Not only is it good for you with vitamins and fiber, but the sweetness and natural sugars will help to curb the artificial and refined sugar cravings.

Check out your health food section of your local supermarket. There are many low sodium snacking options. Many chips are made from things other than potatoes. One of my favorites is Plocky's Red Beans and Rice. They have a little kick with cayenne pepper in them. They also go great with hummus. Be sure to portion out your chip snacking. It is far to easy to eat more than we should when eating from a bag.

You can also replace sodium in recipes by using more herbs (fresh or dried). This will help to bump up the flavor so that you are not craving the salt shaker at the dinner table. I love parsley (fresh or dry) and I put it in a majority of meals that I cook.
  • uhoh_billy
    Options
    I went the naughty way for my sweet tooth because I'm a sucker for candy, but I tend to eat too much if it's available. So I was at Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday and bought a big bag of halloween sized Skittles and Starburst. Each starburst pack is only 2 candies, so it's 40 calories, and each Skittles pack is only 60. If I'm craving candy really badly, I just have one of these and it satisfies without being too many calories! And since they're packed individually I don't tend to over-eat on them haha.
  • BekJ
    BekJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options

What kind of nutella are you eating? There are 100 calories in 1 tbls. of nutella.

I was thinking the exact smae thing!!!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate is my FAVORITE! This might be a good idea as long as I can resist eating too much of it. How often do you allow yourself to have it? Everyday?

I would say most days. My meals are small and often so i usually have some cals to spare for the good stuff!! anyway it's a superfood- go nuts.