Sugars in fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic and don’t have a medical reason to track sugar. But I often try to pair fruit with some sort of protein (often dairy) because I find it curbs my hunger better that way.

I have a diabetic friend who often is looking at the fiber content to determine “net carbs”, but I don't have first hand experience there. I am hopeful someone with diabetes will chime in to explain “net carbs” in layperson terms. I am very curious and would like to learn more about how to plan snacks and be supportive when with diabetic friends at potlucks etc.

My mom has T2 diabetes and she is supposed to stay within 45 net carbs per meal. Net carbs is simple - it is just total carbs in the food, minus the fiber grams. So something with 50 g of carbs and 10 g of fiber nets 40 carbs. Really quite easy to figure out.
  • sebastiao_teresa
    sebastiao_teresa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello instead tracking the sugars you should track the carbohydrates . That's what's important for sports , insulin dependent but anyway even this is important for a balanced diet . For instance, Diabetic people don't track sugars they track carbohydrates and is based on this they know how much insulin they should inject . Sorry to speak this related to T1 diabetes but this is my daily routine due my daughter's diabetes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    If you're going over just because of fruit, I wouldn't worry about too much unless you're starting to double it continuously. Sugar is sugar, and it's important to make sure you're not consistently getting too much, regardless of whether you have health problems. People always think "I'm fine right now so I'm not going to worry about salt, fat, sugar, etc" and those are the same people who later have health problems because of it.

Do you have something to support this statement? I'd like to see it.