Intermittent fasting - I don't get it

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m not hungry in the morning and I’m starving in the afternoon. So, I eat 3 meals at noon, 3 & 7. Andi personally don’t like going to bed with a digesting belly full of food. Voila - IF.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    A conversation about IF usually includes a discussion about circadian rhythms in conjunction with IF.

There's a lot to digest here in the study linked below (pun intended) and again, if IF works for you, great.

..... If you're not a fan, that's okay too.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2017/3932491/
  • mrdre555
    mrdre555 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Best thing that happened to me
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here's a 16:8 study for those who are curious: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
    This one was done on strength training men.

I feel like more studies need to be done to determine which groups of people IF works for and what exactly it can do in terms of benefits and drawbacks. I'll definitely be glad when people in my daily life don't try to warn me about "starvation mode" when I tell them I do IF.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. Research is ongoing
    2. For some, fasting improves mental clarity and thus compliance
    3. Some of the research suggests that concentrating your eating in a small window boosts TEF, and as a consequence energy level. this is more pronounced in some of the more exotic and less mainstream IF protocols. 24/26/28/30, as are the mental clarity effects.

Note: I do not advocate or practice IF.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I did IF for years as a teenager, before it was a thing. Why? Because I didn't get hungry in the morning and I didn't really have time to eat in the morning (I was always late for school). I was a fat teenager. That was because I ate too much for my meals.

Like all weight loss strategies, it works because the people who use it find it easier to reduce their calories consumed as opposed to other strategies.
    There's no special trick to it. Some people just find it the easiest method for controlling their appetite. Others don't. We're all different in what works for us.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't call my WOE intermittent fasting, because I'm just doing me. I have never eaten breakfast, ever. I'm just not hungry, and I often skip lunch for the same reason. But I have my coffee! With cream. Other than that, though, I don't eat until I'm hungry, and it works out the same as intermittent fasting most days -- dinner and something extra a little later. (Though I record my eating as separate meals throughout the day, so my MFP peeps don't think I'm a freak, lol. But, crap! Now they know.) I can understand using it as a way to control your eating. Think about it. If MFP gives you 1500 calories per day, you can have a really nice dinner and a midnight snack, instead of trying to figure out how to do 3 meals at 500 calories or less, and no midnight snack.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow, a wealth of info here...thank you all so much!