Eating less and working out, but not losing any weight

Options
Hi everyone. I am a 25 year old female, I am 5'1 and weigh 147 lbs. I am trying to lose weight by eating 1,200 calories per day and working out 5 times a week. I have done this 1,200 calorie diet about 4 years ago and I lost 15 pounds in 3 months, which is a lot for me since I am a small person. However, I did not work out. I only ate bread in the morning, but anything after breakfast, I kept it to protein and vegetables. I lost weight in a matter of a week and I loved the fast process. Now I am trying to do this diet again but I have grown to enjoy working out over the years and do not want to give that up. I do 3 days of a cardio class that is similar to kick boxing. The other 2 days, I do 30 minutes cardio on the treadmill and an hour and half of lifting weights. I weighted myself 2 weeks ago and I was 146.6 and I weighted myself this morning and I am 147. So I have gained few ounces. I haven't lost anything and its really frustrating. I haven't been measuring myself, which I know is an alternative way of keeping track of weight loss. I do want to see pounds lost by the scale as well. I am not sure what I can do differently. I am not struggling with my new diet but it hasn't been easy either. I do have my cravings for junk food and I do let myself to a small snack of chips once in a while, maybe like once a week. Just so I don't go crazy. I understanding muscle is heavier than fat and maybe I am gaining muscles I didn't have. But to be honest, now I am unmotivated. How come I lost so much weight last time? Shouldn't lifting weights be speeding up the weight loss process? I don't want to feel like my hard work isn't paying off because we all knows losing weight is HARD WORK! Should I be changing anything? Or should I keep it going for another month and see what happens? I will start measuring myself, to hopefully keep encouraging myself that I am getting somewhere. Please help!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't that hard when you do it right. You just need to be patient and accurate. Weight fluctuates from day to day; at your current weight you can lose up to half a pound of fat per week if you're doing everything right.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Siege_Tank wrote: »
    drxmh9fzf7rm.jpg

I very much dislike people who post this image. Give it more time is literally the worst advice ever. If the scale isn't moving, OP is eating back all the weight.

Op, Google the names Benoit, Young, Phinney, Willi, and Volek, et al, look under images.
    Low carb, low cal is about the best and fastest way to lose.

I've kept my weight off since 2012, and I still can't eat anything, certainly not fried carbs.

When I'm out with friends, I have to pretend to eat fried to keep them from making comments.

If OP only weighs once every two weeks and is seeing a temporary water weight fluctuation due to hormones (which is very common in people who are menstruating), "give it more time" is literally the best advice.

Weighing once a week is definitely not accurate either, maybe she has been losing weight, but she happens to weigh more on that particular day. The best way to know if your losing weight is by weighing yourself every day and dividing it by 7 at the end of the week...then compare your average weight of the week with your previous weekly averages.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    drxmh9fzf7rm.jpg

I very much dislike people who post this image. Give it more time is literally the worst advice ever. If the scale isn't moving, OP is eating back all the weight.

Op, Google the names Benoit, Young, Phinney, Willi, and Volek, et al, look under images.

I've kept my weight off since 2012, and I still can't eat anything, certainly not fried carbs.

When I'm out with friends, I have to pretend to eat fried to keep them from making comments.

If OP only weighs once every two weeks and is seeing a temporary water weight fluctuation due to hormones (which is very common in people who are menstruating), "give it more time" is literally the best advice.

Weighing once a week is definitely not accurate either, maybe she has been losing weight, but she happens to weigh more on that particular day. The best way to know if your losing weight is by weighing yourself every day and dividing it by 7 at the end of the week...then compare your average weight of the week with your previous weekly averages.

A weight trending app would also work for this.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    drxmh9fzf7rm.jpg

A weight trending app would also work for this.

That too as long as you weigh yourself every day. Weighing once a week or two isn't accurate at all.