Hometown Delights

Hello everyone!
I thought it would be fun to start a thread of weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!

I am from Rochester NY and here we have "Garbage Plates". Garbage plates were invented by Nick Tahou at his burger place but are now sold pretty much everywhere in Rochester you can buy a hamburger or hotdog.

A garbage plate traditionally has a base of Macaroni Salad and home fries, although you can customize them to pretty much anything including baked beans, tater tots, etc. Then you either get 2 hamburgers, cheeseburgers, or hotdogs on top. To top it all off there is a spicy meat sauce and onions plus your choice of ketchup, mustard, and/or relish.

Everyone thinks they sound gross until you try one and they are amazing! There is also great debate in Rochester over who makes the best Garbage plate and it can be quite the hot button topic. Everyone has a favorite place to get one and will defend it until the end. My personal favorite place is called Jimmy Z's in the Village of Brockport, where I went to college.

Here is a picture of one for your drooling pleasure:
7m3pualzbpfr.jpg

Tell us your hometown dish!

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    In NC, there are 3 - seafood, BBQ and BBQ. Seafood down at the coast is fried soft shell crab, hush puppies and shrimp. BBQ in the eastern part of NC is shredded pork with vinegar. BBQ in the western part of the state is pork ribs or sliced brisket in a sweet tomato based sauce.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm in Richmond, VA and we have good Hanover tomatoes, salty ham (the saltier the better) and yummy shrimp and grits. Richmond has an amazing restaurant scene.'

edited: How could I forget our amazing oysters from the "rivah" and my favorite, Brunswick stew, preferably cooked all day outside over a fire and stirred by someone's grandpa with his big paddle.
  • midlomel1971
    edited July 2018
    In NC, there are 3 - seafood, BBQ and BBQ. Seafood down at the coast is fried soft shell crab, hush puppies and shrimp. BBQ in the eastern part of NC is shredded pork with vinegar. BBQ in the western part of the state is pork ribs or sliced brisket in a sweet tomato based sauce.

Vinegar-based BBQ (with slaw natch) and hush puppies = my favorite meal EVER!

When I lived in Chicago I went to a "seafood" restaurant and I was all like, "Do y'all have hush puppies?' and the waitress had no idea what I was talking about. I was all clutching my pearls. I guess it serves me right for going to a seafood place in Illinois.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Sounds amazing!

I am in Maryland, so mostly people just lose their mind over blue crabs around here.

sacriligious - but i'm in MD and i'm not a crab fan :o
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2018
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread of weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!
    I grew up in Iowa and have lived in Nebraska and Kansas. I really can't think of an odd local dish from the region.
    Corn? Large hunks of beef or pork? Runza or Maid Rite Sandwiches? Cherry Mash candy?

We have hush puppies.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member

Vinegar-based BBQ (with slaw natch) and hush puppies = my favorite meal EVER! .

One of my top favorite meals too! I grew up in NC and now live in Richmond, VA and love being able to get it often.
  • midlomel1971
    Scrapple and Shoo fly pie

I once broke up with a guy over Scrapple. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but I did walk out of a restaurant on him after he ordered it. Eventually we broke up over other stuff, but I never got over the Scrapple.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    New Jersey has pork roll (S. Jersey) or Taylor Ham (N. Jersey) depending on where you live in the state. Same food, different name... either way, delicious! Usually served on a kaiser roll or hard roll with egg and cheese
    4mnkhn9mjg9z.jpeg
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I'm from Grimsby UK
    It's all about the fish and chips with scraps (little bits of fried batter)

@ruqayyahsmum as a Yorkshirewoman, I approve of this post.

I now live in Boston MA, so it's all about the clam chowdah and Sam Adams' Boston Lager.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Shrimp & Grits here in Charleston.oltql55h6ra6.jpeg

Now you have me homesick.

Hard to identify any one thing in NYC. NY slice? Nathan's hot dogs? Chicken shawarma?