Running and Sunscreen

Options
124»

Replies

• Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Some of you might find this article interesting, it gets at why American sunscreen sucks so much! 😉 Maybe if sunscreen were better people who resist would be more inclined to use it ❤️ https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-25/america-is-losing-race-to-develop-the-sunscreens-of-the-future
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Use the stick kind for babies. I'm a world-champion sweater and it works. Be careful not to rub it into your eyes when wiping off sweat.

I have used it on my eyelids like eye shadow, in my eyebrows, and right under eyes (like applying concealer) and have never had it get into my eyes. I spend July in Florida, and am a natural redhead raised in the South. I've had pre-cancerous spots removed and use sunscreen, visor/hat, long sleeves whenever I will be in the sun in Florida. I sweat a lot naturally (even when I was very thin and in great shape, my face got really red and I would be soaked) and it's made worse by a medication I take and the 100 extra pounds I carry. I have literally seen gnats drown when they land on my skin. And the stick sunscreen for babies (I've used different brands) doesn't get in my eyes.

I do my exercise at night in Florida so I don't have to worry about the sun for that particular part of my day.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Neutrogena Age Shield, SPF 110. It's my regular sunscreen because I'm super fair. I like it because it's not greasy. A lot of people have told me the protection is all the same after about SPF 50, but I'll pay the extra couple bucks just in case. Augment with shades and a hat.

I'm not pale (grandmother is Apache) and I wear Neutrogena SPF 100 every day! Every morning I apply it about an hour before I leave the house, then reapply around 2PM. I'm with you on spending a bit more "just in case".
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't wear sunscreen above my eyes - wear a baseball cap to protect the forehead and the sunscreen everywhere else. Unless you can run fast enough for the sweat to travel up your face you should be fine
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I swear by Cotz brand sunscreen. It never burns my eyes. I’m very sensitive to that as well. Best place to buy it is amazon. There are several options for SPF etc.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I use the kind for children on my face. It makes you look weird and ill but is less likely to run when you sweat and less likely to run into your eyes. The hat idea is good except I find hats make me sweat more.
    Alternatively run in the early morning or evening?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Neutrogena Age Shield, SPF 110. It's my regular sunscreen because I'm super fair. I like it because it's not greasy. A lot of people have told me the protection is all the same after about SPF 50, but I'll pay the extra couple bucks just in case. Augment with shades and a hat.

I use sweat & water resistant SPF 100, when I can't find that I use SPF50 and have noticed that I do burn more. I also wear a hat when running (so I don't put it on my forehead thus avoiding sunscreen in the eyes sting - learned that one the hard way....) I've already had one small cancerous lesion removed, I don't begrudge the extra I pay for the SPF 100.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I've had really good luck for years with Coppertone Sport SPF 30. I used to go for SPF 50 or even higher, but I read an article that said that it isn't worth it with the following arguements:

- SPF 30 means you will get the same UV dose in 30 hours as you would in 1 hour without sunscreen.
    - That means only 1/30 = 3.3% of the UV radiation is getting through the sunscreen if correctly applied.
    - The higher SPF lotions seem to be more irritating to skin and eyes, so I go for "just enough" protection, which I arbitrarily pick to be SPF30.
    - The transmission of the sunscreen is an exponential function of areal density of the absorber. Taking SPF15 as the baseline, achieving SPF30, 50, or 100 requires 25%, 44%, or 70% more absorber. It is easy to get that much variation in how you apply the sunscreen. So the SPF rating isn't that important, in fact.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Nadspee wrote: »
    Some of you might find this article interesting, it gets at why American sunscreen sucks so much! 😉 Maybe if sunscreen were better people who resist would be more inclined to use it ❤️ https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-25/america-is-losing-race-to-develop-the-sunscreens-of-the-future

I got the paper from the study mentioned in the article. Holy moly, most sunscreens tested provided FAR less protection than advertized. Only one of the SPF 15 formulas broke 50% of the claimed protection! Bezus, what is one to do? Enclosed is the main table from the study:

zsnsv8l3zofu.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nadspee wrote: »

I got the paper from the study mentioned in the article. Holy moly, most sunscreens tested provided FAR less protection than advertized. Only one of the SPF 15 formulas broke 50% of the claimed protection! Bezus, what is one to do? Enclosed is the main table from the study:
    Q: What is one to do? A: Use the highest SPF factor available. With only a couple of exceptions in your table, the higher SPF still gave the highest protection. I remember when they first came out with SPF labelling and 10 was considered high.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My new sunscreen....

4166262-businessman-with-paper-bag-in-head.jpg