Fix my "bum-out, tum-out" monkeyman posture

Options
Scubdup
Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
Hi there - I'm hoping for some suggestions on how I can tackle my odd posture which has been very apparent in my holiday photos this year.

The problem is as per the thread title and the photo below - I have this very pronounced curvature of the back.

I *think~* the solution is for me to try and remember to suck in my stomach, as this seems to have the effect of flattening out the curves, but I'd like some assurance I'm right in this thinking, plus any other tips people might have.

Thanks in advance for any help...

37dj7de4gga7.jpg

Replies

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You can try tucking your bum in while tightening your abs. It will feel awkward until you build up the muscle to make it happen more naturally--and that will take time. You probably won't be able to hold the posture for any length of time at first. But your muscles can strengthen even when you don't see them yet. I'd talk to a doctor to get a PT referral if the posture you have causes pain, and get some tips in PT about how to strengthen the necessary muscles. Just my opinion, of course.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It looks like you have anterior pelvic tilt. This can be corrected by strengthening your posterior chain; Back (erector spinae), hamstrings, glutes
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    navel in, rotate hips forward, think of lengthening your tallbone down. Concentrate on those elements, when you do planks, push ups, any standing weight lifting or standing period.

Hollow body holds. Lay on your back with your legs and arms pointed toward the sky, keep the small of your back in contact with ground then slowly lower and extend your arms and legs as low possible without letting your small back lift off the ground. repeat, eventually you will get lower and lower while keeping flat back.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Planks, push-ups, abs roller (which is basically a dynamic plank). Compound lifts focusing on good form. Anything to strengthen your core.

Just stretching can sometimes help you activate your core and feel the right muscles kick in. Reach for the ceiling, keep reaching until you feel your abs kick in to support your spine. Then lower your arms and just feel the difference.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that you bring this up, as I haven't thought about it in years, but when I was quite young (6-7y), my parents noticed this exact problem in me. They basically noticed that I was walking around with my stomach and butt sticking out all the time. For me, it was a part of being overweight and unathletic at the time. I was given some core exercises to do (stomach and back) and instructed to tilt my pelvis more forward when I walked. That was about it and I would say that the problem pretty much went away overnight.

Looking at your picture, I would guess that this is not a major problem for you unless it causes back pain or something is wrong with your spine (worth asking a doc). But, it is always worth strengthening your core (as @mutantspicy recommends), so you can have at that. And, just try to rotate the pelvis forward a bit as you walk. (Just like I try to remember to hold my shoulders back, which I constantly forget!)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    It looks like you have anterior pelvic tilt. This can be corrected by strengthening your posterior chain; Back (erector spinae), hamstrings, glutes

I agree with this. Stiff legged Dead lift in particular would be helpful that's where you bend at the waist instead of the hips and allow the weight to pull your spine flat. Then pull from the hamstrings thru the lower back. I think that be very good for you. Also perhaps a standing desk at work if you have a desk job that is.
    That said I don't think it looks that bad, I have pretty big curve myself used to be bigger, which currently isn't a problem for me. But I do have to focus when I lift to make sure I don't have too much arch when I squat, OHP, curl, or dead lift.

• kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/K-CrEi0ymMg

Video on correcting anterior tilt
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    I *think~* the solution is for me to try and remember to suck in my stomach, as this seems to have the effect of flattening out the curves, but I'd like some assurance I'm right in this thinking, plus any other tips people might have.

Yes, that should fix your abdominal distention. It looks fine in your profile pic.

Don't judge your lordotic curve while wearing a shirt and a wallet in your pants. :+1:
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Dancer technique for fixing posture:

Stand normal. Then lift your shoulders slightly and pull your shoulder blades in just a bit. Next, push your pelvis forward (pelvic thrust). Hold that and try to maintain that posture. You'll have to consciously correct yourself a lot at first, after a while it becomes natural.
  • Scubdup
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the replies - I'm going to try and work my core, hip-flexors and hamstrings more.

I do a lot of rowing and my lifting numbers are fairly decent, so I think my glutes and back are OK.

I'm also going to look into improving my desk and chair set-up at work.

@kettiecat - thanks for the vid - it is very helpful...

Can anyone tell me the name of the exercise at about 4.15

https://youtu.be/K-CrEi0ymMg?t=4m15s

It looks good but I'm not quite clear on proper form, and I can see myself getting it wrong.

• Scubdup
    Options
    Well, yesterday I tried some stiff leg deadlifts, single leg, RDLs, and a variation of Janda crunches, and sure enough the hamstrings and abs are arching a bit this morning.

Still researching a new desk and chair for the office.

I don't suffer any pain from this condition, but I "buttwink" when squatting, and I think this could be related, so hopefully I'll be sorting out my general posture and I probing my squatting performance at the same time.