Good source of protein ideas?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited July 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've almost reached my goal weight and I solved a medical problem for me at the same time. I used to have problems with hypoglycemia, I would get really shaky and faint until I started incorporating a 30 G protein shake for my mid day instead of other snacks that had more sugar. Apparently 30g of protein is my magic bullet, I tried 20g of protein and still felt off, tried whole grain foods, fats, etc... I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid problems and she was the one who suggested more protein to me, and said I had hypoglycemia. She didn't seem to think I was diabetic , and didn't test me for it. Diabetes does run in my family, however I was tested when I was a kid and I was normal. I'm also still a bit confused on the subject, because I read when you feel that way you should eat sugar, which would help me for a little bit.. but then I felt bad an hour or so later. The protein is the only thing that helped, It changed my world, I'm no longer starving all the time, I'm not shaky all day and I feel so much better. I've been drinking a shake every day for a month, also been using this to help with my weight loss. However I hate the way all protein shakes taste!! I tried many brands, and eventually settled on premier protein which tasted the best for me. But I can't go on drinking these things every day, the texture and taste is just too much for me. However I don't want to go back to feeling the way I was. I'm not a huge fan of protein in general... guess that was the reason I was seriously lacking it. I don't really like meat, beans, nuts, etc... I could probably do peanuts but they're so expensive, and tuna is okay too but the smell tends to offend most people. I need something quick and portable, I'm usually on the go at lunch time and only have 5 minutes to grab something quick and eat/drink it while driving. I'm looking for something that has 30gs of protein. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Light and Fit Greek Yogurt...i hate regular yogurt, but these are wonderful. 80 calories, 12 grams of protein and they are tasty. Caramel Apple, Strawberry Cheesecake. Tiramisu and many others..

I only like regular yogurt not Greek, ugh sorry I'm so picky with proteins!!! That sounds really good though... I might try one just to see if my taste buds have changed. May be better than the shakes anyways lol. Thanks for the idea 😊
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Do you like edamame as a crunchy snack (kind of a peanut alternative if you have a good imagination)?
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue - need a ton of protein in the afternoon and was miserable with my shake!

I started having a sunkist tuna creations packet. I'm not the biggest fan of tuna and hate bringing stinky things to work. These don't smell offensive - have about 16-20g of protein and 70-100cals/packet and taste great! Add a hard boiled egg or cheese stick and you should be pretty close to 30g? Or throw it in a low carb high protein lavash bread so it's portable? I also started food prepping extra grilled chicken and eating just that for a snack, or some low sodium deli meat if I'm really desperate.

• FL_Hiker
    Options
    Do you like edamame as a crunchy snack (kind of a peanut alternative if you have a good imagination)?

No 🙁 i wish. I barely even like peanuts... don't even like peanut butter.

I thought beef jerky, which I really like! But a 1 lb bag is $17!! And to eat 30 g of protein of it that bag would only last 5 days.. too expensive.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    I have the exact same issue - need a ton of protein in the afternoon and was miserable with my shake!

I started having a sunkist tuna creations packet. I'm not the biggest fan of tuna and hate bringing stinky things to work. These don't smell offensive - have about 16-20g of protein and 70-100cals/packet and taste great! Add a hard boiled egg or cheese stick and you should be pretty close to 30g? Or throw it in a low carb high protein lavash bread so it's portable? I also started food prepping extra grilled chicken and eating just that for a snack, or some low sodium deli meat if I'm really desperate.

Thanks for the ideas! Those Sunkist things are really good, especially the tomato one. I'm still trying to find something easy to carry, I hate prepping lunch since I spend so much time making dinner (working college student here lol!) an egg, bread and tuna might be too much for me to juggle while running all over the place 🙁. I like the chicken breast idea though, how many grams of protein are there in a chicken breast ?
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Cottage cheese a great source of protein. 226 g of 2% cottage cheese (~1 cup) has 24 grams of protein. There are individual containers you can buy that have ~10 g of protein per. I generally just throw a cup of cottage cheese in Tupperware to bring to work for breakfast.

[edit] I also know some people who will add a scoop of protein powder to unsweetened yogurt. You can generally get over 20 g of protein from a serving of protein powder.

Not a fan of cottage cheese 🙁, sorry thanks for the idea though!!! Any kind of protein powder drives me nuts, it's the texture..
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The premiere protein bars have 30g and actually taste good (to me). There's a variety of flavors. I also love the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey Turbo Chocolate (protein powder). I loathe protein powders--except this one, which is terrific. I use it with a variety of "mixers" and sometimes throw a few ounces of spinach in it too. I did not like any whey proteins or pea/sprouted brown rice proteins, but this ON whey is off the charts good. Blends well too.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I travel via plane for most of my work-seas to shining sea. Have to keep things easy and mobile and TSA friendly.

Have you considered powdered collagen? They come in single serve or a can, variety of vendors/producers. Most are tasteless. I PERFECT hydrolyzed collagen peptides, put it in my coffee, makes it creamer. Have also added it to a huge variety of other drinks and foods.

Another option I like is Earthy Choice peanut powder with cocoa and PB2. May not like it since your not a nut fan but I love these in a shake and have even used them in my coffee. Can mix with water to make a peanut butter too.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about sashimi? There is a grocery store near me that has fresh made carry out sushi that is amazing and affordable. They also sometimes have sashimi trays, which is just the raw fish slices without rice, and they will make you things upon request if you have a few minutes to wait. Five ounces of raw salmon contains 30 g protein, I imagine sashimi grade tuna is similar. Maybe if you had some of that in the fridge waiting for you.... Fresh raw fish doesn't smell offensive at all. I get myself a favorite roll or combo tray a couple times a month as a treat, and if you don't mind the carbs from the rice, nigiri is just plain sliced fish on rice planks, or you could get a roll and get all the wonderful nutrients from the rice, seaweed and other veggies along with your protein and still make it a quick meal.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    BTW, I also carry chia and flax seed with me. They are small, so containers are really small. I add them to salads I order and also put them into shakes and on fruit. Super easy to carry around these. Could even use a baggy. I travel with a weeks supply and it takes up no room at all in the pocket of my purse.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Thanks for the ideas! Those Sunkist things are really good, especially the tomato one. I'm still trying to find something easy to carry, I hate prepping lunch since I spend so much time making dinner (working college student here lol!) an egg, bread and tuna might be too much for me to juggle while running all over the place 🙁. I like the chicken breast idea though, how many grams of protein are there in a chicken breast ?

100 g of roasted boneless, skinless chicken breast has 31 g of protein (USDA). I didn't suggest meat, since you said you don't really care for it, but meat is definitely the most "bang for your buck" that you'll get for protein.

• andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Quark is an insanely good way to get loads of protein with almost no calories. Put a little bit of jam,berries or juice in it and its excellent.
  • kroe4
    kroe4 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Premier protein has all kinds of flavors! I drink one every morning, I alternate between the chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream, and strawberry. There's also a banana and peach I believe but no thanks on those flavors. lol My friend just realized if you freeze them and drink them it's delicious and more like a frosty/milkshake. Changes up the texture. Maybe try that out.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    kroe4 wrote: »
    Premier protein has all kinds of flavors! I drink one every morning, I alternate between the chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream, and strawberry. There's also a banana and peach I believe but no thanks on those flavors. lol My friend just realized if you freeze them and drink them it's delicious and more like a frosty/milkshake. Changes up the texture. Maybe try that out.

I've tried all the flavors and yes froze it too... I don't like any of them, it's the texture. Protein bars are just as nasty... it doesn't taste like real food to me lol
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    Quark is an insanely good way to get loads of protein with almost no calories. Put a little bit of jam,berries or juice in it and its excellent.

What's Quark?
  • FL_Hiker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

100 g of roasted boneless, skinless chicken breast has 31 g of protein (USDA). I didn't suggest meat, since you said you don't really care for it, but meat is definitely the most "bang for your buck" that you'll get for protein.

Yeah meat isn't my favorite but I don't completely balk at chicken, although carrying around a giant bag of chicken would be pretty weird lol! How many calories are in 100 g of chicken , that's the perfect amount of protein! Nothing some BBQ sauce couldn't fix up either...
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    BTW, I also carry chia and flax seed with me. They are small, so containers are really small. I add them to salads I order and also put them into shakes and on fruit. Super easy to carry around these. Could even use a baggy. I travel with a weeks supply and it takes up no room at all in the pocket of my purse.

I don't like them 🙁