Hometown Delights

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Not necessarily local to me only, but we never met a vegetable we couldn't bread and fry.
    udbioxrsg6le.jpg

Also, chicken fried steaks as big as your head and covered in cream gravy.
    1cf1iwi9bn9o.jpg

You must be from Texas too. :p
  • mom23mangos
    h0vmgmsqxxxd.jpg

The famous Berger Cookie from my hometown Baltimore, Maryland. A shortbread cookie coated in the most ridiculous amount of dark chocolate fudge you've ever seen. Many thanks to our German roots!

Those look amazing. I must plan a trip to Baltimore.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    I live in a melting pot town of the Chesapeake Bay, so we have a lot of cuisine from all over the world but I would say we are known for our seafood as we are located right off a bay. Crabs, oysters, clams, sea bass are big here.

We’re also in the south so we’re also known for southern and soul food. Va ham, collard and turnip greens, fried chicken, all forms of grits (I prefer cheesy grits with red-eye gravy but also like shrimps and grits), and I make the best dang cornbread you ever did eat. I could go on but now I’m getting hungry.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for here, you ain’t looking!
  • mom23mangos

[/quote]

We have kolaches here, also Czech, made in our bakeries and recipe handed down by my grandmother. But they look nothing like yours! Ours are more of an open faced, baked pastry with a fruit, mince meat, poppyseed, or other filling on top. Yours look amazing![/quote]

True Czech kolaches are the open faced fruit filled pastries you describe. I'm not sure when things took a left turn and what we now think of as kolaches around here became kolaches.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Wicked Whoopies! 25th5xf6dxr2.jpg
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    This post is killing me.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread of weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!
    When I was younger I would travel and people had no idea what 'chicken wings' were!

Chicken Riggies, Utica Greens, and Tomato Pie are my hometown's local favorites.
    I am not overly crazy about the first two, there are many times I wish I could have found a piece of tomato pie. (high crabs)
    Vinegar-based BBQ (with slaw natch) and hush puppies = my favorite meal EVER!
    I never liked BBQ until I had Carolina BBQ. I don't care for ketchup and molasses BBQ sauce, too sweet, St. Louis, a dry rub BBQ is decent but nothing beats Carolina BBQ.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    h0vmgmsqxxxd.jpg

The famous Berger Cookie from my hometown Baltimore, Maryland. A shortbread cookie coated in the most ridiculous amount of dark chocolate fudge you've ever seen. Many thanks to our German roots!

Those look delicious.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member

We have kolaches here, also Czech, made in our bakeries and recipe handed down by my grandmother. But they look nothing like yours! Ours are more of an open faced, baked pastry with a fruit, mince meat, poppyseed, or other filling on top. Yours look amazing![/quote]

True Czech kolaches are the open faced fruit filled pastries you describe. I'm not sure when things took a left turn and what we now think of as kolaches around here became kolaches.[/quote]

We have a couple of kolache places here, the fruit ones are open faced, the savory are like the ones pictured. I won't turn down either. The one places occasionally will sell some with Pappy's BBQ in them. Pappy's is probably my favorite BBQ in St. Louis.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Scrapple and Shoo fly pie

And pierogies.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm from Grimsby UK
    It's all about the fish and chips with scraps (little bits of fried batter)

@ruqayyahsmum as a Yorkshirewoman, I approve of this post.

I now live in Boston MA, so it's all about the clam chowdah and Sam Adams' Boston Lager.

I love Yorkshire curd tart and parkin, I'm over in Sheffield now
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread of weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!
    When I was younger I would travel and people had no idea what 'chicken wings' were!

Chicken Riggies, Utica Greens, and Tomato Pie are my hometown's local favorites.
    I am not overly crazy about the first two, there are many times I wish I could have found a piece of tomato pie. (high crabs)
    Vinegar-based BBQ (with slaw natch) and hush puppies = my favorite meal EVER!
    I never liked BBQ until I had Carolina BBQ. I don't care for ketchup and molasses BBQ sauce, too sweet, St. Louis, a dry rub BBQ is decent but nothing beats Carolina BBQ.

And here I am right in the middle of NC BBQ hash country and even back when I ate mammals, I was not a fan. I still eat chicken and much prefer the hot and sweet tomato based sauce; a leg quarter whole is my favorite.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    They're spreading across North America now, but deep fried cheese curds are a favorite here in the dairy state of Wisconsin:
    7nyo8dwb1d4t.jpg
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Hahahaha! @mom23mangos that's how my sister is about it. But then, she is grossed out by pies as well 😂
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I'm from Grimsby UK
    It's all about the fish and chips with scraps (little bits of fried batter)

@ruqayyahsmum as a Yorkshirewoman, I approve of this post.

I now live in Boston MA, so it's all about the clam chowdah and Sam Adams' Boston Lager.

I'm south of Boston and couldn't think of anything, cuz I hate clams. Another thing we have is New England Seafood Dinners and lobster rolls, which I don't eat either.

Frankly, I prefer other people's cuisines. If I could only eat one, it would be Thai.