Not losing weight on ketos

Options
So I’ve been on the ketos diet for 18 days and haven’t lost any weight! I’ve been tracking everything I eat and haven’t gone over 25g of net carbs plus I’ve been walking loads and doing HIIT about twice a week!!

Replies

• chelssyy98
    chelssyy98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I’ve been having 1,200 calories a day and weighing everything out exact😞
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    chelssyy98 wrote: »

You just need to give it more time then, your change of diet, increased exercise etc could be contributing to water retention, just keep at it an be patient.
  • chelssyy98
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I just expected to have at least lost a pound by now! My boyfriend has lost 10 and we are eating the same! So frustrating 😃

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You just need to give it more time then, your change of diet, increased exercise etc could be contributing to water retention, just keep at it an be patient.

this....plus, are you logging absolutely everything you put in your mouth? and are you using accurate database entries? making your diary public may be helpful - perhaps other people can see places you may be going wrong?
  • chelssyy98
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That is true, lucky him😃 and hes eating the same foods but think he’s having bigger portions aha! Maybe I will increase the HIIT to 4 times a week and see if that helps, I've always struggled with exercise!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    That is true, lucky him😃 and hes eating the same foods but think he’s having bigger portions aha! Maybe I will increase the HIIT to 4 times a week and see if that helps, I've always struggled with exercise!

Or just stick with what you're doing and give it a couple more weeks. If you want to do more exercise you're probably better to do some resistance training to hold onto your muscle.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    So I’ve been on the ketos diet for 18 days and haven’t lost any weight! I’ve been tracking everything I eat and haven’t gone over 25g of net carbs plus I’ve been walking loads and doing HIIT about twice a week!!

Calories matters for weight loss, but reading your replies further down, it seems you understand that. At 1200 calories, you're supposed to lose weight, but one thing I want to know from you:
    1) Why 1200 calories??? Are you trying to aggressively lose weight??? How much do you weigh + your height. I see too many women chosing 1200 calories by default when eating higher would've still been enough to lose weight. Judging by your picture, you don't seem obese, so I am really questionning why you would choose to eat 1200 calories.
    2) How do you weigh yourself??? Do you weigh once a week??? If so, that's not precise enough, you could be losing weight and now know it by weighing once a week. Ideally you should weigh amap using an app like the libra app which will show you your weight trend.
  • knoon1236
    knoon1236 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    awwwww bless
  • knoon1236
    knoon1236 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    not much for me
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    I worked out my macros on a macro calculator and it said to eat that many so I’ve been sticking to that. I am 175 pounds and 5ft4. A few years ago, I was eating about 500 calories a day and dropped to about 95pounds but then as soon as I started eating normally again I gained it all back and I’m not sure if I have ruined my metabolism!

I was weighing myself once or twice a week but I have just downloaded a weight tracker and have been doing it once a day for about 4 days not but no different in the days...
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    18 days is nothing. Give yourself more time.

How much do you weight/how tall are you. You might find that you can actually eat more than 1200kcals and still lose weight. That should only really be used if you're very short/currently weigh not very much. I'm assuming your BF is taller than you and weighs more, so of course he's going to lose weight faster if you're eating the same.

This worries me. You're saying that you're weighing everything, and that you're eating the same, but then you're saying he's probably eating larger portions. That uncertainty sounds like you might not be being as accurate as you think you are.

Make sure you include everything. If it ends up in your mouth, log it. Remember that packet servings can be tricky, double check the weight on packets with what you've got out. And that that matches the correct state. The classic example is weighing food when cooked, but inputting the amount as raw. With meat (for example), it will lose water when cooked and so you'll be underlogging the amount of calories for that food.

It might be helpful if you opened up your diary.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    It took a month for me to drop my first kg last time around. Started on 1200, raised to 1450, change started to happen. Stick with it, give it time - we're all different. Of course it's frustrating, especially since success is staring you in the face in the form of the lucky boyfriend :smile:

By all means, I wouldn't suggest ever going lower than 1200 NET calories per day. Otherwise you will be creating a deficit similar to the one you were in when you were eating 500 cals per day.

Good luck, patience, and a strong focus on a healthy and balanced intake! Don't forget about the micronutrients.
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    It took a month for me to drop my first kg last time around. Started on 1200, raised to 1450, change started to happen. Stick with it, give it time - we're all different. Of course it's frustrating, especially since success is staring you in the face in the form of the lucky boyfriend :smile:

By all means, I wouldn't suggest ever going lower than 1200 NET calories per day. Otherwise you will be creating a deficit similar to the one you were in when you were eating 500 cals per day.

Good luck, patience, and a strong focus on a healthy and balanced intake! Don't forget about the micronutrients.
    It’s good to know that it’s possible to lose weight after having such a bad start, I will stick at it and see how it goes!

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    deviette wrote: »

How much do you weight/how tall are you. You might find that you can actually eat more than 1200kcals and still lose weight. That should only really be used if you're very short/currently weigh not very much. I'm assuming your BF is taller than you and weighs more, so of course he's going to lose weight faster if you're eating the same.

This worries me. You're saying that you're weighing everything, and that you're eating the same, but then you're saying he's probably eating larger portions. That uncertainty sounds like you might not be being as accurate as you think you are.

Make sure you include everything. If it ends up in your mouth, log it. Remember that packet servings can be tricky, double check the weight on packets with what you've got out. And that that matches the correct state. The classic example is weighing food when cooked, but inputting the amount as raw. With meat (for example), it will lose water when cooked and so you'll be underlogging the amount of calories for that food.

I’m not sure what he eats tbh, but I’ve been 100% accurate with mine. I’ve been weighing everything after it is cooked and ensuring it’s accurate

Fair enough, but you can't compare yourself to him them.

Ah, it's generally better practice to log raw food over cooked. It's normally considered more accurate. You might find you're under logging calories and eating more calories than you think you are. As you're on keto you're probably not eating things like rice or pasta (which often show calories as cooked on the packet) pretty much everything you'll be eating will show calories as raw (or as packaged). Check your labels and make sure you're logging in the same state as what it says.

Also, how much do you weigh? How tall are you? Open your diary.
  • chelssyy98
    Options

I’m not sure what he eats tbh, but I’ve been 100% accurate with mine. I’ve been weighing everything after it is cooked and ensuring it’s accurate

Fair enough, but you can't compare yourself to him them.

Ah, it's generally better practice to log raw food over cooked. It's normally considered more accurate. You might find you're under logging calories and eating more calories than you think you are. As you're on keto you're probably not eating things like rice or pasta (which often show calories as cooked on the packet) pretty much everything you'll be eating will show calories as raw (or as packaged). Check your labels and make sure you're logging in the same state as what it says.

Also, how much do you weigh? How tall are you? Open your diary.
    Maybe I’m not logging as accurate as I think, I will keep an eye on that! Also, I weigh 175 pounds, 5ft4. It won’t let me open my diary, don’t think I’m doing it right but I eat the same everyday pretty much.
    Breakfast- tea or coffee
    Lunch- 30g peanuts, sugar free jelly pot and cheese string
    Dinner- low carb vegetable with meat aha

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »

It’s good to know that it’s possible to lose weight after having such a bad start, I will stick at it and see how it goes!

Eh, it was grinding my gears alright, but I pushed through it. I was keeping my net carbs under 25 too, by the way (I am not anymore). If it's any help, this is what losing 5 kg (about 11 lbs) looked like for me. Note the flat line at the beginning - that was the first month.
    107bybi8adti.jpg