Not losing weight on ketos

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You need to relax and be patient. Your need for immediate results and ideas about increasing your exercise when you haven't gotten them are not healthy. I'd be willing to bet you are eating the classic "diet" menu of foods too.

You need to eat enough calories and not just choose numbers like 500 or 1200. You need to eat things you enjoy not just broiled chicken and broccoli. If I were you, lastly, I would find an alternate way of gauging success like measuring yourself once a month.

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    chelssyy98 wrote: »
    deviette wrote: »
    18 days is nothing. Give yourself more time.

How much do you weight/how tall are you. You might find that you can actually eat more than 1200kcals and still lose weight. That should only really be used if you're very short/currently weigh not very much. I'm assuming your BF is taller than you and weighs more, so of course he's going to lose weight faster if you're eating the same.
    That is true, lucky him😃 and hes eating the same foods but think he’s having bigger portions aha! Maybe I will increase the HIIT to 4 times a week and see if that helps, I've always struggled with exercise!

This worries me. You're saying that you're weighing everything, and that you're eating the same, but then you're saying he's probably eating larger portions. That uncertainty sounds like you might not be being as accurate as you think you are.

Make sure you include everything. If it ends up in your mouth, log it. Remember that packet servings can be tricky, double check the weight on packets with what you've got out. And that that matches the correct state. The classic example is weighing food when cooked, but inputting the amount as raw. With meat (for example), it will lose water when cooked and so you'll be underlogging the amount of calories for that food.

It might be helpful if you opened up your diary.
    I’m not sure what he eats tbh, but I’ve been 100% accurate with mine. I’ve been weighing everything after it is cooked and ensuring it’s accurate

Fair enough, but you can't compare yourself to him them.

Ah, it's generally better practice to log raw food over cooked. It's normally considered more accurate. You might find you're under logging calories and eating more calories than you think you are. As you're on keto you're probably not eating things like rice or pasta (which often show calories as cooked on the packet) pretty much everything you'll be eating will show calories as raw (or as packaged). Check your labels and make sure you're logging in the same state as what it says.

Also, how much do you weigh? How tall are you? Open your diary.
    Maybe I’m not logging as accurate as I think, I will keep an eye on that! Also, I weigh 175 pounds, 5ft4. It won’t let me open my diary, don’t think I’m doing it right but I eat the same everyday pretty much.
    Breakfast- tea or coffee
    Lunch- 30g peanuts, sugar free jelly pot and cheese string
    Dinner- low carb vegetable with meat aha

(I can't help you with opening your diary, I don't actually know how to do it myself haha)

At that weight/height you should definitely be losing if you're really only eating 1200kcals. If you're really as active as you say, you should be losing a lot.

Both veggies and meat often weigh less when cooked than raw, so that might be where your problem is. Try logging raw as opposed to cooked. Also, remember to give yourself some time. 18 days really isn't a long time, and sometimes it can just take a while for the scales to budge. Keep an eye out for non scale related differences. You may be losing fat, but not be losing lbs. Measure your waist, hips and bust. How do your clothes fit. Take a picture of yourself and compare. These are great ways to keep an eye on how things are going without fixating on the number on the scale :smiley:
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So I’ve been on the ketos diet for 18 days and haven’t lost any weight! I’ve been tracking everything I eat and haven’t gone over 25g of net carbs plus I’ve been walking loads and doing HIIT about twice a week!!

Question for you: is the exercise something new? And it seems like you maybe increased your NEAT?

Reason I ask - sometimes when you are new to exercise your body retains "water" and that *could* explain some of the weight "retention".

Also, since you are 18 days in I am going to *kitten*/u/me a few things -
    1. You are past the Keto Flu "time frame"
    2. You avoided the Keto Flu by increasing your Electrolytes (typically, sodium intake goes up....right?)

So, if the HIIT is something new to you, and you have greatly increased your NEAT ("walking loads") and you have increased your (assuming) sodium intake.....perfect receipe for the "non weight loss" situation.

Does that make sense? I ask, because I tend to be scattered brain when I write these things and am not always sure if there is clarity to my words!
  • deonbfit
    deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the keto diet but I strive to be in a caloric deficit everyday and have been working out since the middle of January. The scale didn't start to budge until March 3rd. That's 6 weeks!

Fast forward to today and I'm down 19lbs and am getting stronger and more focused everyday. Stick with it and trust the process. Whatever your doing should be a lifestyle change anyways not a quick fix. Just stay the course
  • chelssyy98
    chelssyy98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

How much do you weight/how tall are you. You might find that you can actually eat more than 1200kcals and still lose weight. That should only really be used if you're very short/currently weigh not very much. I'm assuming your BF is taller than you and weighs more, so of course he's going to lose weight faster if you're eating the same.
    That is true, lucky him😃 and hes eating the same foods but think he’s having bigger portions aha! Maybe I will increase the HIIT to 4 times a week and see if that helps, I've always struggled with exercise!

This worries me. You're saying that you're weighing everything, and that you're eating the same, but then you're saying he's probably eating larger portions. That uncertainty sounds like you might not be being as accurate as you think you are.

Make sure you include everything. If it ends up in your mouth, log it. Remember that packet servings can be tricky, double check the weight on packets with what you've got out. And that that matches the correct state. The classic example is weighing food when cooked, but inputting the amount as raw. With meat (for example), it will lose water when cooked and so you'll be underlogging the amount of calories for that food.

I’m not sure what he eats tbh, but I’ve been 100% accurate with mine. I’ve been weighing everything after it is cooked and ensuring it’s accurate

Ah, it's generally better practice to log raw food over cooked. It's normally considered more accurate. You might find you're under logging calories and eating more calories than you think you are. As you're on keto you're probably not eating things like rice or pasta (which often show calories as cooked on the packet) pretty much everything you'll be eating will show calories as raw (or as packaged). Check your labels and make sure you're logging in the same state as what it says.

Maybe I’m not logging as accurate as I think, I will keep an eye on that! Also, I weigh 175 pounds, 5ft4. It won’t let me open my diary, don’t think I’m doing it right but I eat the same everyday pretty much.
    Breakfast- tea or coffee
    Dinner- low carb vegetable with meat
    aha

How do you make that equate to 1200 calories? It doesn't sound like a healthy approach to diet imo!
    It doesn’t always aha

• chelssyy98
    Options
    deonbfit wrote: »
    I'm not on the keto diet but I strive to be in a caloric deficit everyday and have been working out since the middle of January. The scale didn't start to budge until March 3rd. That's 6 weeks!

Fast forward to today and I'm down 19lbs and am getting stronger and more focused everyday. Stick with it and trust the process. Whatever your doing should be a lifestyle change anyways not a quick fix. Just stay the course
    Wow well done! Hopefully I get the same results!

• chelssyy98
    Options
    So I’ve been on the ketos diet for 18 days and haven’t lost any weight! I’ve been tracking everything I eat and haven’t gone over 25g of net carbs plus I’ve been walking loads and doing HIIT about twice a week!!

Question for you: is the exercise something new? And it seems like you maybe increased your NEAT?

Reason I ask - sometimes when you are new to exercise your body retains "water" and that *could* explain some of the weight "retention".

Also, since you are 18 days in I am going to *kitten*/u/me a few things -
    1. You are past the Keto Flu "time frame"
    2. You avoided the Keto Flu by increasing your Electrolytes (typically, sodium intake goes up....right?)

So, if the HIIT is something new to you, and you have greatly increased your NEAT ("walking loads") and you have increased your (assuming) sodium intake.....perfect receipe for the "non weight loss" situation.

Does that make sense? I ask, because I tend to be scattered brain when I write these things and am not always sure if there is clarity to my words!
    Yeah that makes sense! Maybe that’s why... maybe my body has just gone into shock aha

• chelssyy98
    Options
    First of all - IF in fact you were actually eating 1200 calories per day at your height and weight, you would have lost weight, so you're eating more than you think OR you have a serious medical illness. So see a doctor.

Second, you can't "ruin your metabolism." The metabolic adaptations that happen with rapid weight loss, do reverse themselves in a very short period of time, so cross that one off. Here's a discussion: Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss

Third, for us to be any help you do need to open your FOOD diary, and it will "let" you, here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

^^scroll to the bottom, click "Public."
    I have just opened my food diary, thank you for the link

• chelssyy98
    Options

Breakfast- tea or coffee
    Dinner- low carb vegetable with meat aha

(I can't help you with opening your diary, I don't actually know how to do it myself haha)

At that weight/height you should definitely be losing if you're really only eating 1200kcals. If you're really as active as you say, you should be losing a lot.

Both veggies and meat often weigh less when cooked than raw, so that might be where your problem is. Try logging raw as opposed to cooked. Also, remember to give yourself some time. 18 days really isn't a long time, and sometimes it can just take a while for the scales to budge. Keep an eye out for non scale related differences. You may be losing fat, but not be losing lbs. Measure your waist, hips and bust. How do your clothes fit. Take a picture of yourself and compare. These are great ways to keep an eye on how things are going without fixating on the number on the scale :smiley:
    I do feel less bloated but that’s about it. Maybe I will try measuring with a tape. I have opened my food diary now

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Everything I was going to mention has already been said:
    Exercise can cause some water retention if it is new. You might be losing fat but gained water. Hormones can affect things, and so can ketogenic electrolyte needs - a tape measure it pictures is often the way to go. And be extra careful with logging... Plus you might want to try harder to hit your protein goals. The example of foods you gave was very low.

Good luck.
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Everything I was going to mention has already been said:
    Exercise can cause some water retention if it is new. You might be losing fat but fined water. Hormones can affect things, and so can ketogenic electrolyte needs - a tape measure it pictures is often the way to go. And be extra careful with logging... Plus you might want to try harder to hit your protein goals. The example of foods you gave was very low.

Good luck.
    Thank you, that sums it up nicely. I will give it some time and try the tape measure and see if that I see any differences.

• chelssyy98
    Options
    I saw 10 slices of cheese in your diary that equaled 25 calories?
    No it was one slice of cheese out of a pack of 10 aha
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    First of all - IF in fact you were actually eating 1200 calories per day at your height and weight, you would have lost weight, so you're eating more than you think OR you have a serious medical illness. So see a doctor.

Second, you can't "ruin your metabolism." The metabolic adaptations that happen with rapid weight loss, do reverse themselves in a very short period of time, so cross that one off. Here's a discussion: Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss

Third, for us to be any help you do need to open your FOOD diary, and it will "let" you, here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

^^scroll to the bottom, click "Public."
    I have just opened my food diary, thank you for the link

I think I could count days you've actually eaten 1200 cals on one hand. You eat a lot of processed, salty food so you could be holding a lot of fluid. If you think your diet is ok, or in any way normal or healthy, I would suggest getting some help from a professional (dietician and/or therapist)
    I think it’s just hard to find foods that are low in carbs. I must be eating enough because I’ve not lost any weight. I think the amount I eat is okay. Maybe it’s just what I’m eating

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I saw 10 slices of cheese in your diary that equaled 25 calories?
    No it was one slice of cheese out of a pack of 10 aha

Ah, i get it. You had a half slice of cheese.