Not losing weight on ketos

Options
13»

Replies

• chelssyy98
    chelssyy98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    chelssyy98 wrote: »
    I saw 10 slices of cheese in your diary that equaled 25 calories?
    No it was one slice of cheese out of a pack of 10 aha

Ah, i get it. You had a half slice of cheese.
    Yeah that’s right aha
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The keto brownie you ate on Sunday, did you make that? Did you use the recipe builder?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    First of all - IF in fact you were actually eating 1200 calories per day at your height and weight, you would have lost weight, so you're eating more than you think OR you have a serious medical illness. So see a doctor.

Second, you can't "ruin your metabolism." The metabolic adaptations that happen with rapid weight loss, do reverse themselves in a very short period of time, so cross that one off. Here's a discussion: Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss

Third, for us to be any help you do need to open your FOOD diary, and it will "let" you, here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

^^scroll to the bottom, click "Public."
    I have just opened my food diary, thank you for the link

I think I could count days you've actually eaten 1200 cals on one hand. You eat a lot of processed, salty food so you could be holding a lot of fluid. If you think your diet is ok, or in any way normal or healthy, I would suggest getting some help from a professional (dietician and/or therapist)
    I think it’s just hard to find foods that are low in carbs. I must be eating enough because I’ve not lost any weight. I think the amount I eat is okay. Maybe it’s just what I’m eating

For me, I focus on meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, full fat dairy (cheese, 10% plain yopurt), vegetables and berries. The veggies I eat includes greens (romaine, spinach, bok choy, etc), celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms and a=some root veggies in moderation like onion, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and a small bit of potato.

I find eating this low carb does require more cooking for meals since most ready to eat meals are higher in carbs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    First of all - IF in fact you were actually eating 1200 calories per day at your height and weight, you would have lost weight, so you're eating more than you think OR you have a serious medical illness. So see a doctor.

Second, you can't "ruin your metabolism." The metabolic adaptations that happen with rapid weight loss, do reverse themselves in a very short period of time, so cross that one off. Here's a discussion: Starvation Mode - Adaptive Thermogenesis and Weight Loss

Third, for us to be any help you do need to open your FOOD diary, and it will "let" you, here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I think I could count days you've actually eaten 1200 cals on one hand. You eat a lot of processed, salty food so you could be holding a lot of fluid. If you think your diet is ok, or in any way normal or healthy, I would suggest getting some help from a professional (dietician and/or therapist)
    I think it’s just hard to find foods that are low in carbs. I must be eating enough because I’ve not lost any weight. I think the amount I eat is okay. Maybe it’s just what I’m eating

But you still might be retaining water so that's not necessarily true.

If you are finding it difficult to find food low in carbs (or to find low carb foods that you enjoy), you know you don't actually need to eat keto/low carb to lose weight? just a calorie deficit. It's just one of many ways to help manage a calorie deficit, unless you're eating low carb for medical reasons.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    One thing that has caught me on occasion is meat. You say you weigh after cooking. Make sure the entry you use in the database is for cooked weight not raw. That can really throw you off. Also be sure you count any fat you use to prepare it.
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

For me, I focus on meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, full fat dairy (cheese, 10% plain yopurt), vegetables and berries. The veggies I eat includes greens (romaine, spinach, bok choy, etc), celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms and a=some root veggies in moderation like onion, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and a small bit of potato.

I find eating this low carb does require more cooking for meals since most ready to eat meals are higher in carbs.
    Thank you, I will make sure I include more vegetables and less processed foods. Didn’t think of berries either!

• chelssyy98
    Options

looks like a lot of entries you are using are incorrect. for the sausages yesterday you have 2 sausages logged. how many grams were those sausages? food packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving.so those sausages could be more or less calories than the 260 calories for the 2 .Birds eye - Burgers with onion, 1 burger 110 calories? did the burger weight what the label states? most often things like that weigh more than the package states.

like my protein bars says 60g is 190 calories. most of them weigh 63g or more. I had one weigh 68g. thats extra calories right there. a slice of cheese should be more than 10g. its going to be more than 25 calories per slice one package says a slice is 25g for 104kcal and thats for tesco sliced mild cheddar. so there you would be off 79 calories. see how easy it is to eaat more than you think if you dont weigh everything or use correct entries? meats are to be weighed frozen or raw unless there is a cooked option on the label for calories

also say for chips/crisp if something says 21g or about 14 chips. weigh out the chips,21 grams can be 12 or less chips/crisps(I didnt see it on your diary just using that as an example) as for your diary it shows you eating less than 1200 calories per day which Im willing to bet once you start weighing everything and using correct entries you may be at or over the 1200. as for doing hiit more times a week. true hiit should not be done that often as its too much stress on the body. too much stress can also mean water retention and can hinder weight loss.
    Oh wow, I didn’t realise that and I do scan a lot of the packs rather than weighing it out to make sure. That’s very helpful, thank you

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

looks like a lot of entries you are using are incorrect. for the sausages yesterday you have 2 sausages logged. how many grams were those sausages? food packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving.so those sausages could be more or less calories than the 260 calories for the 2 .Birds eye - Burgers with onion, 1 burger 110 calories? did the burger weight what the label states? most often things like that weigh more than the package states.

like my protein bars says 60g is 190 calories. most of them weigh 63g or more. I had one weigh 68g. thats extra calories right there. a slice of cheese should be more than 10g. its going to be more than 25 calories per slice one package says a slice is 25g for 104kcal and thats for tesco sliced mild cheddar. so there you would be off 79 calories. see how easy it is to eaat more than you think if you dont weigh everything or use correct entries? meats are to be weighed frozen or raw unless there is a cooked option on the label for calories

also say for chips/crisp if something says 21g or about 14 chips. weigh out the chips,21 grams can be 12 or less chips/crisps(I didnt see it on your diary just using that as an example) as for your diary it shows you eating less than 1200 calories per day which Im willing to bet once you start weighing everything and using correct entries you may be at or over the 1200. as for doing hiit more times a week. true hiit should not be done that often as its too much stress on the body. too much stress can also mean water retention and can hinder weight loss.
    Oh wow, I didn’t realise that and I do scan a lot of the packs rather than weighing it out to make sure. That’s very helpful, thank you

even some of the scanned entries are incorrect as they are input by users. I make sure that it matched the package especially the calories,carbs,protein,fat ,etc many people will make entries to suit them it seems too.so yeah weighing out all your solids and semi solids on a digital scale will ensure you are eating the right amount. when I first lost weight I gained half of it back because I didnt weigh my food. once I did I saw that I was eating more than I thought. its an eye opener. also no 2 slices,pieces,slabs,etc will be the same weight,often it will be different. some a big difference and some not so much. rarely do I find anything that weights less than it says. if you use a slice of cheese and only eat half. weigh that half and log the grams so if a slice is 25g and half weighs say 13 then take 13 and divide by 25 which gives you 0.52 of a serving. it will be more accurate that way.and once you get the hang of doing this it will take no time at all
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Do you actually enjoy on keto, it sounds like the food choices isn't making you happy.
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    Using raw meat entries for cooked meat can add 30% or more to you daily actual calories. A burger that is raw 100g and a burger that is cooked 100g is a huge difference. You could be eating 500+ calories per day too many just with the meat entries. Also, using scanned entries is another source for inaccuracy.

Here's a great thread for how to find "good" entries to use, so you can vet your choices:

How to use the USDA food Database + MFP food Database for accurate logging.

Why have you chosen Keto? If it's difficult for you, maybe it's not the best choice. Unless the foods on Keto are what you prefer to eat or you have a medical issue it may prove to just be too cumbersome.
    Using raw meat entries for cooked meat can add 30% or more to you daily actual calories. A burger that is raw 100g and a burger that is cooked 100g is a huge difference. You could be eating 500+ calories per day too many just with the meat entries. Also, using scanned entries is another source for inaccuracy.

Here's a great thread for how to find "good" entries to use, so you can vet your choices:

Why have you chosen Keto? If it's difficult for you, maybe it's not the best choice. Unless the foods on Keto are what you prefer to eat or you have a medical issue it may prove to just be too cumbersome.
    I think it will work for me, I just need to find the right foods. I give up on diets quickly but this is the only one I’ve really stuck to. I’m not sure why, I just need to figure it out correctly. Going to go shopping later for more whole foods

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

I think it will work for me, I just need to find the right foods. I give up on diets quickly but this is the only one I’ve really stuck to. I’m not sure why, I just need to figure it out correctly. Going to go shopping later for more whole foods

How much actual research have you done about Keto? There are some nutritional deficiencies that are really common to this way of eating, and you need to be aware of those and make sure you are finding ways to meet those deficiencies before you cause yourself further problems.

I completely agree with all that @veganbaum said above.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,564 Member
    Options
    Do consider if keto is a diet you want to continue after you've reached your goal weight. Eating the way you want to eat for the rest of your life is important during the diet as you learn portion control. If you're a volume eater, thus you'd like to have a lot of food on your plate and eat high volumes, then keto might not be for you.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I am your height and got to my goal of 10 lbs in less than 2 months eating 1300-1400 calories a day on keto and also exercising. My diary is open. i eat a lot more and would not survive on no breakfast and peanuts. I am not sure why you’re not losing but definitely would make sure you are eating foods you can live on for however long it takes you to get to goal. Best of luck—sounds really frustrating.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Hit me up if you need some good keto-friendly recipes!!
  • chelssyy98
    Options
    Hit me up if you need some good keto-friendly recipes!!
    Thank you!