Options
    Thanks, Gamliela! :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

Ah... so you feel like any point being made as to accuracy is a moral judgment on an individual? Nah. Most of us have just learned from our own experience that accurate logging is a skill that requires some education & practice like any other, and that when people have issues with not losing at the expected rate, that's usually the culprit. I bemoaned my lack of progress for a long time, but surprise... when I really commit myself to accurate logging (even the couple of bites I might mindlessly finish off my kids' plates after a meal), and when I don't assume MFP's estimated calorie burns for exercise are accurate, I lose at the expected rate. Doesn't mean I was a liar and a cheater ;)

That may be the reason the OP is taking this so poorly. People like you and me have learned from past failure but the OP has seemingly always had a working formula for weight loss. We have learned to be flexible and, more importantly, we have learned how to be wrong.

Your mistakes are not my mistakes.

Never said they were. I was just sharing an example of a mistake I was making, thinking it probably didn't make that much difference, when it actually did.

And also, I've eaten out a few times the past week, but not concerned about it because I am losing at my expected rate.

Glad you are good... maybe these points will be beneficial to lurkers. :)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 63 years old. I am 5'4" tall. I have lost 40 lbs with about 10 to go. I also have a Fitbit. On the days I do pretty much nothing (read, computer stuff, putter around the house, watch TV) - I burn about 1200 calories/day according to my Fitbit. Now I know the Fitbit isn't 100% accurate - but I think it is in the ball park. I realized that unless I wanted to live on 1200 calories/day for the rest of my life (and not lose anymore weight at that!!) I really needed to up my exercise. A LOT!!! So I did. Started running, boxing, doing calisthenics, weights, jumping rope etc.

I burn 600-800 extra calories a day now. So I have been able to up my intake from 1200 calories/day and still lose, albeit slowly now. My point is - maybe it is better to up the exercise rather than reduce the amount of calories per day you take in. Just a thought....
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Again---63 is not 70 and needing a cane. At 65 I was doing similar things, a few "overuse injuries" and a major health issue and surgery (and treatment) had me very heavy for the first time in my life at 70. I was young and super charged at 65,planning on staying that way. I think the OP probably with her cane and health problems can't plan on burning 600-800 a day. I walk and exercise most days and at your height get about 200 according to my HRM. Yep-- it sucks seeing that maintanence for an overweight goal is 1320
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    ...making sure I reach my goals for protein and fat, and take a daily vitamin.

Here is a study you might find helpful in determining your protein goals.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665330/

I was really hopeful this study would provide insight into protein needs for older women, but despite the abstract's noting a study in premenopausal women that looked at benefits in muscle retention during calorie restriction that included 1.6 g/d/kg bw over .8 kg/d/kg bw, the study design inexplicably (to me) put the posmenopausal women in calorie restriction with protein intakes ranging from .47 g/d/kg bw to .8 g/d/kg bw. That's right, the "high protein" participants were actually getting a hair less than the RDA for protein!

I, too, noticed that the protein intake was based on RDA of 15% to 20% of daily calories. This was a retrospective analysis of data from a previous weight loss study in which RDA guidelines were used. To me, the big takeaways from the study (along with other studies cited) are:
    • there is a linear relationship between protein intake and loss of lean mass
    • protein needs should be based on body size and not on caloric intake
    • the RDA for protein may be inadequate for retaining fat-free mass during caloric restriction

I agree that it would be nice to have more information on protein needs of older women. This study does state the need for more studies in which protein intake is above the RDA.

• Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wow, MadisonMoll, thank you so much for doing all that for me!

I've already copied it to keep, it's such great information!

Off to do some research on that breakfast thing -- it's going to put an end to my intermittent fasting I think.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    ...making sure I reach my goals for protein and fat, and take a daily vitamin.

Here is a study you might find helpful in determining your protein goals.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665330/

I was really hopeful this study would provide insight into protein needs for older women, but despite the abstract's noting a study in premenopausal women that looked at benefits in muscle retention during calorie restriction that included 1.6 g/d/kg bw over .8 kg/d/kg bw, the study design inexplicably (to me) put the posmenopausal women in calorie restriction with protein intakes ranging from .47 g/d/kg bw to .8 g/d/kg bw. That's right, the "high protein" participants were actually getting a hair less than the RDA for protein!

I, too, noticed that the protein intake was based on RDA of 15% to 20% of daily calories. This was a retrospective analysis of data from a previous weight loss study in which RDA guidelines were used. To me, the big takeaways from the study (along with other studies cited) are:
    • there is a linear relationship between protein intake and loss of lean mass
    • protein needs should be based on body size and not on caloric intake
    • the RDA for protein may be inadequate for retaining fat-free mass during caloric restriction

I agree that it would be nice to have more information on protein needs of older women. This study does state the need for more studies in which protein intake is above the RDA.

You're missing my point. You cannot use a study of post-menopausal women in which the "high-protein" tops out below the RDA to argue that protein levels above the RDA would be better for muscle retention. It's like arguing from studies that show getting 95% of the RDA of vitamin C is better at preventing scurvy than getting only 50% of the RDA of vitamin C as proof for the beneficial effects of taking megadoses of vitamin C.

I'm not saying I don't think it's likely that protein above the RDA would be better for muscle retention in post-menopausal women in a calorie deficit. I'm just saying this a hopelessly badly designed study for testing that hypothesis
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.
    The forum guidelines include these items:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
    also

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Sugar
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.