Rest between Exercises

Options
I am going to do 2 exercises (abs + chest)in a day. My question is how long should take rest after my first exercise is over before starting the next exercise?
My program is of muscle building

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Eddie2088 wrote: »
    I am going to do 2 exercises (abs + chest)in a day. My question is how long should take rest after my first exercise is over before starting the next exercise?
    My program is of muscle building

This is ideally a question for whomever designed the program. If you designed the program, it would be prudent for you to look for and use a standardized progressive program that meets your needs and advances your personal goals, rather than attempting to design one for yourself.

Here's a good starting point

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Considering they’re different muscle groups, you don’t need to extend rest. I eakther superset or transition right away. But it also depends on your program
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, as others have stated, depends on the program. If you are doing chest and abs, those are two "totally" different muscle groups so you *could* go right from the other. You could even super-set them. Totally depends on the program!

I *could* comment on how I would do that....but I am pretty sure that I did not write your program! So, I will not. :-)

I have run only one program (Strong Lifts 5x5) and M was very clear - rest 90 seconds to three minutes between sets. Just for context - this program was for powerlifting and focused on squats and deadlifts and bench and OHP and Rows. And lifting heavy was the focus (progressive overload was every training session - at first, anyway).

Does your program have "fine print" with the "rest between sets" guidance in there?
  • seanlovegrove
    seanlovegrove Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Depends on the program for sure, and goals. But assuming that since you’re in the bodybuilding section you’re probably trying to put on weight I’d err on the side of 2-3 mins rest, personally. I generally rest 3 mins between weight training sets. I don’t tend to rest for ab work, I treat that as more of a circuit at the end of my workout but that’s more just my preference.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Depends on the program for sure, and goals. But assuming that since you’re in the bodybuilding section you’re probably trying to put on weight I’d err on the side of 2-3 mins rest, personally. I generally rest 3 mins between weight training sets. I don’t tend to rest for ab work, I treat that as more of a circuit at the end of my workout but that’s more just my preference.

Exactly......everyone is different and that is how you like to do things (I am the same way). I work abs in a very specific order....with no rest between. But, I am just starting abs. Still don't have everything set in stone at this point.

The big thing about rest in between sets - depending on, naturally, what intensity and rep range we are doing - is ATP. If - like when I was doing Strong Lifts (specific reason why I mentioned that) - I was doing Deadlifts 5 sets of 5 reps @ 365lbs and I rested just 60 seconds (and not 180 seconds) that next set of five reps was going to kill me! If, however, we are talking about hypertrophy.....15 reps at 60% of 1RM.....then maybe 60 seconds is tooooooo long, right?

So, all depends on the program!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Until your breathing returns to normal and your heart rate comes down. You should pretty much be ready to go at that point.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Personally I do abs at the end of my routine if I feel the need, because I don't want a tired out core to affect my important lifts. Also, your core is getting worked throughout your entire routine, if you have a proper routine.
  • MadGainzBruh
    MadGainzBruh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out the PRRS method, cause it kind of covers the gamut and applies to most programs. Longer rest for continually heavy sets, less rest for light weight and supersets. As long as your heart isnt about to explode, you should be ready for your next set.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need any specific time between exercises. When you're ready to go, then go for it. I try to keep any rest to know more than 2 minutes. However my inter-rep rest is usually shorter (30-90 sec) depending on if I'm going heavy or lighter with higher volume.