Vegan/vegetarian! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND!

Options

Replies

• jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I find this to be an interesting thread, and just thought I'd throw in some interesting info...

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/03/five_things_youd_think_would_b.php

According to this article, if you are going PURE VEGAN, you'd better be prepared to "bite the bullet" for any surgery you have, because general anesthesia can't be done without an egg product...

Also, watch out for "Heart Healthy" Orange juice, MIGHT be enriched with fish oils to get those fabulously healthy Omega 3's.

It also warns against some brands of dry-roasted peanuts, non-dairy creamers, and in some churches the holy communion is not vegan.

It's all very interesting...

:drinker:

Ice

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about! These arguments about what is and is not vegetarian/vegan enough can get crazy. Should I walk around with a broom so I can gently sweep bugs and critters out of my path? Should I get rid of my television because it contributes to the slaughter of animals by showing commercials for restaurants? Should I allow the doctor to give me a shot because it might have been made with eggs or cultured in gelatin? Can I still call myself vegan if I swallowed a bug while riding my bike? I've really heard questions like these and people actually worry about this kind of stuff.

Who gets to decide where the line is? How extreme is too extreme? I think everyone who wants to use the label of vegetarian or vegan has to decide where that line is for themselves and choose which definition they will follow. I think the vast majority of people would agree that if you eat red meat on a regular basis you aren't a vegetarian. Beyond that, there is not and never will be a concensus, no matter how much people want to argue in favor of the definition they choose to use. That's why we now have so many definitions for vegetarianism...because someone decided that someone else was not vegetarian enough. I own vegetarian cookbooks that are over 100 years old that debate these same issues, especially the fish and insect issues. We still haven't settled them. And the debate has just become more complicated since then because of the widespread use of animal by products.

After years of trying to figure out which definition was "right", I finally came to the conclusion that maybe vegetarianism and veganism are objectives we can strive for but can't completely achieve. It's highly likely that you will someday eat something, wear something, or use something that contains animal products. It's impossible to remove every miniscule little trace of living creatures from our lives. If you try, you'll drive yourself and everyone around you nuts. LOL You have to decide for yourself where the line that you won't cross is and not worry about where other people draw their lines.

I've also come to firmly believe that this idea that there is a "right" (and therefore a "wrong") way to be vegetarian turns more people off of eating a more plant-centered diet than anything else. People don't want to be scrutinized and judged (and found lacking no matter what they do), so they loudly announce their intent to remain a "carnivore" just so they don't have to deal with other people thinking they might be one of those crazy vegetarians. If vegetarians of ALL persuasions would spend more time sharing the JOYS of plant based foods and quit trying to convert non-veggies while arguing with fellow vegetarians about definitions, I think veg foods would be more commonplace choices.
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    Your first paragraph made my day! :)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You have to decide for yourself where the line that you won't cross is and not worry about where other people draw their lines.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:
  • krazybaconlady
    Options
    i dont understand why anyone would want to be a vegitarian? i love meat!!!! your supposed to eat meat... ugh... your choice
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    But it's not about making other people feel badly. It's insulting to ME that they consider that vegetarian. It just isn't.

I do get you and agree about the "processed on equipment" part. You aren't contributing to anything by that. That's equivalent to people who won't eat off a plate that had meat on it at some point or kiss their SO after he or she ate meat. That's extreme.

But when people (whatever they eat or don't) think fish aren't animals, that bugs me a lot. It has a face and a nervous system, it's an animal.

Maybe it's the poor logic that bugs me more than anything else. But I think there's a huge difference between eating something that touched a surface that touched meat or dairy and eating something that contains meat or dairy (if you're vegan for the dairy part).

Agree. Also, in response to some other posts, there are dietary vegans and there are lifestyle vegans. However, eating vegan is pretty clear - no animals products. While some vegans might eat honey (though I disagree with this), if a store was selling a product labeled vegan, if there was honey that would be incorrectly labeled. While some might choose to eat honey, that is not in the overall accepted definition. If a restaurant told me something was vegetarian, but it had chicken stock, that would be incorrect and I would consider that false advertising. So, while people can label themselves whatever they like, there are accepted definitions of the general terms vegan and vegetarian, and within those definitions people vary in their own choices. I don’t really care how people choose to label themselves, what bothers me is when it affects me. I don’t want confusion if I’m eating out because some people say they are vegan but then eat stuff with gelatin in it so then the restaurant is like sure, this is vegan, when it’s not, or if I was a vegetarian someone who eats fish calls themselves vegetarian instead of pescetarian and creates confusion.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    After years of trying to figure out which definition was "right", I finally came to the conclusion that maybe vegetarianism and veganism are objectives we can strive for but can't completely achieve. It's highly likely that you will someday eat something, wear something, or use something that contains animal products. It's impossible to remove every miniscule little trace of living creatures from our lives.

Very true, that's why I like to compare Veganism to recycling especially to who don’t understand anything about being a vegetarian or vegan. Do everything you can by sorting your waste, using biodegradable bags, not buying products with excess packaging but in the end, we are all bound to produce some level of garbage but every little bit helps. With every less cow we eat the less that needs to be produced therefore reducing the rainforest destruction for grazing.
    True we are each only 1 person but every little bit helps.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    i dont understand why anyone would want to be a vegitarian? i love meat!!!! your supposed to eat meat... ugh... your choice

Really? You've got a case of the ignorant "supposed-too's" as a grown adult? I suggest you seek a different thread since the interests here don't align with your own.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    However - any person who chooses to become more educated about where their food comes from is making a better choice. What are the effects on your health, what are the effects on the environment (and there are studies about the extreme detrimental effects of the current predominant method of raising animals in the U.S. - factory farming)? How was my food produces, where was my food produced? Am I supporting worker and animal cruelty? Can I make better choices? More awareness is always a good thing.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Became vegan almost a month ago and I've never even tried to be vegetarian, it was very easy to just stop eating meat, eggs, dairy, gluten, honey etc.

My original reason was more so for me, not to save the animals or the environmental destruction as I read that it's hard for your body to digest meat and that you would feel incredible once it and dairy is out of your system.

I haven't noticed a single difference so right now, I am not pro-vegan although I am still acting like it for the time being, why? I have no idea.

I know many people what have experienced these effects, but I think that has to do with two things: what you are eating instead, and your state of mind about it all. I also know many people who became vegan for health reasons, but then learned more about environmental and animal welfare issues and came to embrace those as well. It's individual. I personally feel lighter, more clear-headed, and spiritually calm. As Franz Kafka said, "Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you anymore." It makes me feel more connected to the world. But it definitely won't be the same for everyone.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm just thrilled to see so many people who are dedicated to reducing animal cruelty as much as they can - I even appreciate meat free Mondays - even one day a week helps. Personally I am a lifelong vegetarian and am raising 2nd generation vegetarian daughters. I'd like to be vegan, but struggle with some things, so for now I do the best I can do - I have managed to cut out milk and butter (almond milk rocks) so I am happy about that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    While I agree that the definitions can get too nit-picky, I think we have to draw the line somewhere. When people go around calling themselves vegetarians but eating fish, that's when actual vegetarians get served fish at a wedding or whatever because "It's not meat, right?" While I was still eating fish I simply explained that I eat mostly vegetarian, but hadn't stopped fish yet. It doesn't need a lengthy explanation.

All that said, to the OP, a book on veganism you might enjoy is "Skinny *****." As the title implies, the authors employ a tough love approach so it's not for those with thin skin. :)

ETA: The title got censored, the word starts with a B ;)
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    However - any person who chooses to become more educated about where their food comes from is making a better choice. What are the effects on your health, what are the effects on the environment (and there are studies about the extreme detrimental effects of the current predominant method of raising animals in the U.S. - factory farming)? How was my food produces, where was my food produced? Am I supporting worker and animal cruelty? Can I make better choices? More awareness is always a good thing.

I agree. And something that people don't always take into consideration is that vegetarianism and veganism can sometimes run counter to other issues that we feel strongly about. Shoes were one thing I had to deal with. When I first became vegan there were very few choices for vegan footwear. I remember having to make a choice between buying cheap synthetic shoes made with petroleum derivatives manufactured in some sweat shop overseas that I would have to replace every season, or one pair of leather shoes which I knew would last me about 10 years. (This was before the days of internet shopping and vegan friendly Birkies btw.) I chose to buy the one pair of leather shoes. It may not have been the most vegan choice, but I felt it was the best choice overall.
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options

That is your opinion. I respect your opinion. I also, however, believe that you could have said that with more finesse so as to not insult everyone who does make that life choice. Personally, I don't like meat: the taste, the texture, and the fact that it is dead animal carcass.

Maybe you could educate yourself on the lifestyle so as to better understand (not necessarily to convert you). It's your choice and your body. I don't think you should call our lifestyles stupid since none of us have called yours such when like you said: it's our choice.

Thanks.
  • veganbaum
    Options

I agree. And something that people don't always take into consideration is that vegetarianism and veganism can sometimes run counter to other issues that we feel strongly about. Shoes were one thing I had to deal with. When I first became vegan there were very few choices for vegan footwear. I remember having to make a choice between buying cheap synthetic shoes made with petroleum derivatives manufactured in some sweat shop overseas that I would have to replace every season, or one pair of leather shoes which I knew would last me about 10 years. (This was before the days of internet shopping and vegan friendly Birkies btw.) I chose to buy the one pair of leather shoes. It may not have been the most vegan choice, but I felt it was the best choice overall.

I hear this. Even with the internet it can be difficult. But it's better to weigh choices and make a reasonable one than not consider them at all.
  • krazybaconlady
    Options
    im going to eat meat everyday unitl the day i die... if ive upset anyone for MY opinion... then honestly ya need to get over it. everyone has opinions... dont need to cry about it. meat is tasty to me and the whole dead animals thing... there gonna die anyway so might as well make use of it. im not sorry for stating my views... dont like them? dont read them
  • veganbaum
    Options
    im going to eat meat everyday unitl the day i die... if ive upset anyone for MY opinion... then honestly ya need to get over it. everyone has opinions... dont need to cry about it. meat is tasty to me and the whole dead animals thing... there gonna die anyway so might as well make use of it. im not sorry for stating my views... dont like them? dont read them

It's not your views, so much as the fact as you want to call our views "stupid" - that's just flat out rude. If you don't like OUR opinions, then don't read them. And no, they wouldn't just die anyway - not in the same way. They are treated as commodities to be born, raised in torture, then slaughtered inhumanely for the purpose of consuming them - they are born simply to be killed, not born to live a life. If people simply reduced the amount of animal flesh they consumed, not even cut it out, but just reduced it, there would be less suffering as they wouldn't have to be raised in such large numbers and treated like a product on an assembly line. Clearly you don't care, but no need to call our views "stupid."

Edit: it's also not the best decision to contribute to environmental degredation through over-consumption of all products in general, including animals, but I'm not going to tell you you're stupid - just uninformed.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm something close to pescetarian, only because I don't like preparing any meat but fish. It's easier than anything else and I like the taste. If you're eating animal products like dairy, eggs, or even fish (lacto-, ovo- vegetarian or pescetarian), you are at very low risk of nutrient deficiencies. If you are a strict vegetarian, you need to plan more carefully, and if you're vegan, you'll definitely need to track micronutrients along with macronutrients. Many vegan products are now supplemented with vitamin B12 so it's not as much of a concern as it was for vegans in the past. Don't make the mistake of thinking that veggies/vegans are automatically healthier than omnivores. As veganbaum stated, a junk food veggie/vegan will not be eating more nutritiously than an omnivore eating junk food.
  • spastora
    Options
    I wasn't able to get through all the post, and there is a lot of good dialog, but wanted to add my suggestion in regards to books. I think it is a fun way to start your research when trying figuring out what path you want to take in your eating & health. The internet has a lot of sources too, but i am a book (or kindle) gal when it comes to books on cooking and eating.

I just started reading these two books:
    Vegan in 30 days : get healthy, save the world / Taylor, Sarah (Sarah A.)
    The gluten-free vegan : 150 delicious gluten-free, animal-free recipes / O'Brien, Susan, 1955-

These 2 are on my waiting list to read.
    125 gluten-free vegetarian recipes : quick and delicious mouthwatering dishes for the healthy cook. Fenster, Carol Lee.
    The part-time vegan : 201 yummy recipes that put the fun in flexitarian
    Grifoni, Cherise.

I have read The Kind Diet by Alicia S. it was fun, and she had some awesome info and point; you may enjoy it.

Good Luck with the choice you make.
  • stephanietel
    stephanietel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey super interesting topic. I am a cook for a summer camp and an middle school. One of my camp councilers is a Vegan, and one is a vegitarian. I was super curious aboul the honey/ eggs for my vegitarian guy. I have a small chicken flock in my back yard. Free range. They are pets and sit on our laps at the picnic table, they are loved and kept even after they stop layin eggs NEVER eaten (who could eat their pet?) ? He is a major animal rights guy and i dont want to "Ruffle any feathers" I have 3 meals a day i cook for him and i know he dosnt eat eggs because of the conditions on farms but he will eat cheese/milk could i suggest bringing in some of my ladies eggs?
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm going Vegetarian. I'll cut out meat but I'll still eat fish, eggs, dairy and occaisonally some grilled chicken.

Sorry, but this doesn't mean vegetarian. Eating fish does NOT make you vegetarian. Drives me bonkers when people claim veggie but eat fish and the "occasional" chicken. UGH.