Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

It’s certainly easier than weighing food, calorie counting and still be hungry at the end of the day with no calories left - In my experience (although I just do LCHF), but the principles the same!

But surely to follow a keto diet for weight loss, you would still need to weigh your food and count calories to know that you are in a calorie deficit still, for it to be successful?

I understand that different people find different macro ratios more satisfying. But one of the major claims I've seen about keto, is that there is no need to count calories. But if I ate more than I burn I would still gain. This just doesn't make sense.

you do still need a calorie deficit when eating keto. if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight no matter what way or eating you choose. people think with keto they dont have to count ,due to keto being body fat burning when its actually dietary fat that is used for fuel. do a search here on mfp for gaining weight on keto there are quite a few of those posts.

some people dont have to count calories but their bodies still count. so for those people they could lose weight without counting. I did it in 2003 but it was because I was eating less due to a broken leg and I couldnt get to the kitchen as often.I didnt count anything,just ate less food.

so its possible for some when doing keto (if their appetites are satiated by high fat) could lose without counting because they are eating less calories as for them they arent as hungry so they dont eat as much.

I don’t do keto, or maybe at times I am but I don’t track it, I aim for just LCHF.

I don’t weigh food and I am certainly not calorie counting at the moment, yet I am losing weight and have plenty of energy for running and tennis.

I am certainly eating in a deficit (there is no magic to LCHF - it’s still CICO) but it’s an intuitive deficit, which I find a lot more long term sustainable than having to calorie count.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @tennisdude2004

It’s certainly easier than weighing food, calorie counting and still be hungry at the end of the day with no calories left - In my experience (although I just do LCHF), but the principles the same!

you do still need a calorie deficit when eating keto. if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight no matter what way or eating you choose. people think with keto they dont have to count ,due to keto being body fat burning when its actually dietary fat that is used for fuel. do a search here on mfp for gaining weight on keto there are quite a few of those posts.

some people dont have to count calories but their bodies still count. so for those people they could lose weight without counting. I did it in 2003 but it was because I was eating less due to a broken leg and I couldnt get to the kitchen as often.I didnt count anything,just ate less food.

so its possible for some when doing keto (if their appetites are satiated by high fat) could lose without counting because they are eating less calories as for them they arent as hungry so they dont eat as much.

@Wendyanneroberts more and more are coming to agree with your experience of eating LCHF.

In short order (first 30-90 days) of Keto/LCHF Way Of Eating stopped my cravings that always turned into another round of binging. When at the age of 63 I went to this WOE as of Oct 2014 I decided to never try to lose weight again for the rest of my life but just to eat in a way to manage my 40 years of 7-8 pain levels without Rx Meds.

I knew I had to keep it simple at my age so I just stopped eating/drinking any foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain. After a hellish first two weeks of going to this WOE cold turkeyu since tapering off never worked in my case it has been simple.

While I do weight twice each morning to insure I am staying hydrated that is all that I count/measure.

Never having gone hungry for nearly four years I think is the key reason this WOE working in my case. I do work to keep my daily carbs at or just under 50 grams but that just seems to come natural now. Getting to eat ALL that I want when I want it is a freedom I had not known for the prior 40 years. Currently I am eating coconut flakes and pure chocolate here just before bedtime until I can not hold anymore.

Best of continued success and not overthinking a simple health solution that works well for so many today.

Oh BTW I am down 50 pounds and have maintained that loss for the past three years without thought to how much I eat just what I eat.

mfp messed up this is what I said. anything above that was not what I said or typed "you do still need a calorie deficit when eating keto. if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight no matter what way or eating you choose. people think with keto they dont have to count ,due to keto being body fat burning when its actually dietary fat that is used for fuel. do a search here on mfp for gaining weight on keto there are quite a few of those posts.

I am not the one who said "But surely to follow a keto diet for weight loss, you would still need to weigh your food and count calories to know that you are in a calorie deficit still, for it to be successful?

I understand that different people find different macro ratios more satisfying. But one of the major claims I've seen about keto, is that there is no need to count calories. But if I ate more than I burn I would still gain. This just doesn't make sense.[/quote]"

but there is no way you are eating what you want til the point you cant hold any more and pure chocolate even 100% cacao still has carbs. coconut flakes also have carbs in them. also it means calories. even with maintaiing weight its still about calories keto or not.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Anything that bucks the current trend would have to be something more extreme. Another Shock-n-Awe plan. Shock mode. Many will continue to choose the keto pathway to weight loss. I'm only concerned with the sustainability about 5 years out and beyond. The percentage of those who are still maintaining a major weight loss using any plan is where the rubber meets the road. I don't give two hoots about short term weight loss. I don't care about the extreme befores and afters pix. I'm moved when someone waaay down the road has not eaten it all back, rebound weight gain with friends. Then I'll sit up and take notice.

Dieting is a mind warp. I no longer believe in the extinction burst either. Your last act of defiance with trigger foods. If it really worked there would be no such thing as repeat customers for dieting. You would conduct one diet, one time and be fixed for the rest of your life. Your recovery would spontaneous.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    edited to delete