Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

That Keto is so hot right now

Options

Replies

• happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I really don't give a damn what other people are doing. I don't do keto because I took a college-level nutrition course that emphasized at least 150 g of carb daily for healthy adults so that our bodies don't go into ketoacidosis, which is not a healthy or natural state.

"Ketone bodies are three water-soluble molecules (acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and their spontaneous breakdown product, acetone) containing the ketone group that are produced by the liver from fatty acids[1] during periods of low food intake (fasting), carbohydrate restrictive diets, starvation, prolonged intense exercise,[2] alcoholism or in untreated (or inadequately treated) type 1 diabetes mellitus."

I'm not trying to adhere to a diet that induces similar physiological outcomes as starvation, alcoholism, and untreated type 1 diabetes mellitus. But that's just what's right for me. I would never tell anyone else how to live their lives.

The reason I eat carbs is the same reason I do cardio. What's happening inside my body is and will be more important than what's happening with my outer layers.

Any evidence to support the bolded part?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm no expert, and I won't debate anyone on this topic because again I don't give a damn what anyone else is doing. I am just recalling what I learned in Nutrition 101 and explaining why I avoid ketoacidosis.

I'm honestly a bit concerned that a nursing course taught you that ketoacidosis and ketosis are the same thing.

My guess is they didn’t cover ketosis at all since ketoscidosis is a medical emergency a nurse would need to be able to recognize and respond to, while ketosis is not. No reason to dig at her education because they didn’t cover every single detail of ketogenesis.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    @tennisdude2004

It’s certainly easier than weighing food, calorie counting and still be hungry at the end of the day with no calories left - In my experience (although I just do LCHF), but the principles the same!
    [/quote]

But surely to follow a keto diet for weight loss, you would still need to weigh your food and count calories to know that you are in a calorie deficit still, for it to be successful?

I understand that different people find different macro ratios more satisfying. But one of the major claims I've seen about keto, is that there is no need to count calories. But if I ate more than I burn I would still gain. This just doesn't make sense.