Switching to Maintainance

Options
For years, I have weighed 115 pounds (I’m 5’3”, small frame). Over the past few years, I had gained up to 129. So now I weigh about 120, and I truly feel fine. Most of my clothes fit, with the exception of a few things I wore when my weight had dropped lower than 115. Still, I feel so unsure if I should go ahead and switch over to maintainance or stay in weight loss mode to lose those last few pounds. I’m 52 years old, so maybe I’m meant to weigh a little more. I know it sounds like a simple decision, but for some reason I can’t let go of the number. So I’m here thinking out loud, but also interested in others’ thoughts. TIA

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    For years, I have weighed 115 pounds (I’m 5’3”, small frame). Over the past few years, I had gained up to 129. So now I weigh about 120, and I truly feel fine. Most of my clothes fit, with the exception of a few things I wore when my weight had dropped lower than 115. Still, I feel so unsure if I should go ahead and switch over to maintainance or stay in weight loss mode to lose those last few pounds. I’m 52 years old, so maybe I’m meant to weigh a little more. I know it sounds like a simple decision, but for some reason I can’t let go of the number. So I’m here thinking out loud, but also interested in others’ thoughts. TIA

You can always switch to maintenance, see how you like it for a few months and go from there. Like @AnnPT77 said, it's not an irrevocable decision. I'm constantly changing my mind set. Bulking or maintenance in the winter, then cut for summer or competition season. It's able to be adjusted and by doing so you're able to figure out the macros your body requires in depth.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just see how maintenance feels for a month or two. If you want to try to lose a little more, you can still do it. What does it matter what the scale says? As long as you feel great and are at a healthy weight. Just enjoy your life. That’s what’s important.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Humans love to quantify things. It isn't surprising it is hard to let a number go. A lot of people say they have a maintenance range of 5lbs so technically you could set it to be between 115-120 and aim for the middle. Or tell yourself that you are giving yourself a break and staying at 120 for a couple months and then decide whether to keep going.

A big part of weight loss is a mental struggle and I feel like maintenance is even a larger one, just because you have to cope of numbers that you want to be, or body image you hoped to be at a particular weight.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    Options
    Humans love to quantify things. It isn't surprising it is hard to let a number go. A lot of people say they have a maintenance range of 5lbs so technically you could set it to be between 115-120 and aim for the middle. Or tell yourself that you are giving yourself a break and staying at 120 for a couple months and then decide whether to keep going.

A big part of weight loss is a mental struggle and I feel like maintenance is even a larger one, just because you have to cope of numbers that you want to be, or body image you hoped to be at a particular weight.

Yes, this! ^^
    I agree with all of this, particularly the actual body thinner vs. the idealized body I thought was inside me. Focusing on health, fitness, and all of the NSV’s seems to alleviate some of the mental struggle.

Thanks!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You're in a healthy weight range for your height. If you're happy at 120, then that sounds like a good place to stay. Remember that maintenance is a range of about 5 pounds for most people, not an exact number. 120 might be the upper, middle, or lower end of your range.

Either way, though, you're not "meant" to be a specific weight--you have control over it. People often think that they "should" be a particular weight when they're close to their goal and their deficit is very small. At that point, weight loss happens slowly and a few logging errors can erase that deficit. If you do choose to lose a little more, just keep in mind that it will be slow going and you'll probably need to track very accurately.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You're in a healthy weight range for your height. If you're happy at 120, then that sounds like a good place to stay. Remember that maintenance is a range of about 5 pounds for most people, not an exact number. 120 might be the upper, middle, or lower end of your range.

Either way, though, you're not "meant" to be a specific weight--you have control over it. People often think that they "should" be a particular weight when they're close to their goal and their deficit is very small. At that point, weight loss happens slowly and a few logging errors can erase that deficit. If you do choose to lose a little more, just keep in mind that it will be slow going and you'll probably need to track very accurately.

I think that is a huge factor in my decision. I know I’ll have to track extremely accurately in order to lose those lat few pounds, and I honestly don’t feel it’s worth it. Sounds like an easy decision, but for some reason, I’ve still somewhat torn over reaching “that number”.
    Everyone’s comments have been very helpful and thought-provoking. Thank you all very much!
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Either way, it's not an irrevocable decision. You could test-drive maintaining 120 for a while, and see how it goes. If you decide to stay there, fine; if you decide to lose more later, also fine.

I hear (read?) a lot of people saying we should weigh a little more as we age (a few of my still-overweight friends have urged this idea on me ;) ), but I'm not really feeling it myself. (I'm 62.) I think it maybe depends on body composition . . . and certainly on personal preference.

According to the Heart Foundation of Australia it's better to weigh a bit more when you're older but they're talking about over seventy. I think (but I could be completely off base) it's because sometimes older people drop weight because of illness or because of difficulty eating for one reason or another and it's not a bad idea to have a bit of a reserve. I know we had difficulty getting my grandmother to eat and it was worrying given that she really wasn't that big to start with.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Losing weight can be all consuming, a reverse disorder of the overeating that got us here to begin with.

In the end, for me, ease of mind, not obsessing over a number on the scale or counting calories for every bite of food forever is my new resolve.
    Like you.. I fit into all my new smaller clothes. I keep a close eye on that. So what if the scale has gone up a few pounds because I'm no longer eating so strictly? I'm not fat.. you're not fat. Relax and enjoy your life. and don't forget, you can lift weights..gain weight and be smaller. I'm all for that. :)