Discouraged... Results NOT coming after nearly 3 weeks...

Options

Replies

• FloraJoy
    FloraJoy Posts: 24
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! A pound a week is an awesome accomplishment so you're actually speeding toward your goal in the fast lane.

All the answers you got are just superb. Perhaps getting on the scale less frequently will allow your body to fluctuate its way to your goal without you getting mad it at it between weigh-ins. You're doing such a good job you should be patting yourself on the back more and worrying less.

All the best!
    :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

3)Weigh yourself every morning when your stomach and bladder are empty. When your weight loss slows down, raise your net calories for the day. (Some disagree about weighing daily but it is the only way to know when to make an adjustment.)

I disagree with this. I've seen a 5-pound difference day to day simply based on how much sodium I had the night before. Weighing once a week at the same time gives a much better picture of weight loss. Weighing daily can drive a person (especially someone new to this) absolutely crazy.
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! I made DRASTIC changes to my diet and have been exercising more. Just from the change in my diet alone I felt like I should have lost a ton of weight. But I have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks and that is healthy so I will just keep on trying and eventually I will be a success story too. And so will you! Be patient you're doing great!!!
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I've been feeling the same way the last few days, after reading your post I know I'm not alone!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would take your weight loss in a hearbeat. You are wanting results way to quickly, which is why we fail and end up putting on the weight we lost and then some. Look at the long haul, if you continue to lose 2 lbs per week, you will 36 lbs lighter by Christmas!!

I started MFP in May and I have lost 5 lbs. The scale is up and down every week. I'm ready to smash it into the ground. BUT, I have lost 9 inches overall (arms, waist, hips, thighs) and I can see the difference in the way my body is being transformed. I have gained muscle, which is probably why I don't have a lot of weight loss. Yes, it is frustrating and I get discouraged. I have to remember this is truly a way of life and it does take some time and patience. Those are easy for me, but it is true.

If you are losing weight then continue doing what you are doing. If you want to see inches lost sooner, then doing some strength/reisstance training. You may see the scale not move as much though.

Some people lose the weight and then tone. I am going to being more cardio to get the scale to move and see how it goes. You too may have to tweak along the way.

Don't give up, it has been too soon. Give it another 4-6 weeks and then look at your progress. Small goals will help too.

Good luck!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I know this doesn't provide much comfort - but 4 lbs in 2.5 weeks is not that bad. From everything I read, typically 1-2 pounds per week is a "healthy" weight loss. So try to keep that in mind. Most importantly, try not to let it consume you. It's got to be something that is realistic otherwise you will not continue to execute it. If you're turning your whole life upside down, how long do you think you'll be able to maintain that? I know if someone told me that I could never have another carb again as long as I live, I'd scrap the whole idea from the word go. I come from an Italian family - carbs are in our nature. But if someone approached me with a more realistic approach, maybe only have carbs once a week, that I could do.

This is also why I don't weigh myself daily. It takes an emotional toll on you and I, personally, find it sabotaging. Last week, I had a gain, but I expected it, so it didn't do any damage. It's back off (plus some more) this week.

Keep your head up! You can do this. One last thing - you didn't put the weight on overnight, you can't expect it to come off overnight either. Good luck!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's just so frustrating to see the scale go down, then Up, and UP when I've been working so hard, you know?

Why do you think it goes down for a few days, then UP for a few? I just don't understand.... =(

Don't weigh yourself so often. Women hold water weight, so maybe you should increase your water intake.
  • reidhome
    reidhome Posts: 26
    Options
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I can't tell you how much you all have helped me start to get out of this funk.

I totally laughed out loud at whomever said "you don't like that you lost 4lbs? Feel free to gain it back, then." HA!! Point taken.

Questions:
    - are you really supposed to EAT the extra calories you BURN by working out? I was trying to have that be EXTRA calories off...?
    - MFP set me at 1200 cal/day with a sedentary lifestyle (I sit at a computer all day)
    - I don't track it well on my diary, but I AM drinking 75 - 90oz water per day
    - I have been meaning to, but haven't yet , get VITAMINS - very good point - thanks for bringing it up. Is it B12 that is supposed to be extra good, too?
    - I tend to err on the conservative side on what the elliptical tells me I have burned. It (and the calorie calculator on MFP) say I've burned WAY more than 400 cal in my workout - I just stick at 400 to be on the safe side).

Since we are going on vacation for over 2 weeks, I figured going to the gym every day would be good. I will do a LOT of walking (Washington DC for 4 days, then NYC for 3 days, then the beach in New Jersey for over a week - yeah! Can't WAIT to be in a swim suit in front of my husband's family! NOT. )
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    the same thing is happened to me, ive lost about 5 pounds in 3 weeks, but ive made the mistake of weighing myself every day
    weight fluctuates wildly so even weighing yourself at the same time every day can be discouraging
    i went back and forth between about 196.5 and 195.4 every day and i was so frustrated beacuse the first 2 weeks i saw steady losses, then i weighed myself today for like my official weigh in and i was at 194.8, so i think im just going to focus on being healthier and not worry about weight so much because its really stressful i think
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary for the last week and noticed that you are netting somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-1000 calories each day. To my untrained eye, that seems like far too little. There are varying opinions on eating back exercise calories, but I am one who falls on the "eat them" side of the arguement.

The 1200 calorie goal that MFP gave you (I assume you selected a 2 lb per week goal) already has a deficit figured in that will allow you to lose weight even if you don't exercise (though there are many reasons why you would want to exercise anyway). You are only inclreasing that deficit when you do not eat back your calories and, while that sounds good on the surface, could prove detrimental down the line.

There are lots of threads on the forums that speak to deficits and eating back exercise calories so I am including links to two that have grouped some of the best ones together. I strongly suggest you read them and make any adjustments that you feel you may need to with your diet/exercise routine.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I am also going to repeat what others have already said...4 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks is a great start!!!! And don't worry...I would NEVER tell anybody they have to cut out a glass of wine with dinner. Moderation is key! Also, if the scale is stressing you out as much as it seems to be, then make sure you are only getting on it once per week (in the morning, on the same day, at the same time). Daily fluctuations are normal, but all that stress will only hinder your weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am overwhelmingly depressed, frustrated, disheartened and a bit angry that I've been making my "health" THE PRIORITY the past 2.5 weeks. I have been 100% diligent in HONESTLY recording EVERYTHING I put into my body, and have changed things around / sacrificed so that I could go to the gym EVERY SINGLE DAY the past 16 days (35 min / 400 cal on the Elliptical PLUS 5-6 machines, ending in me DRENCHED in sweat from a HARD workout), yet I have only lost a little over 4lbs in 2.5 weeks. No, I have not lost inches. No, my clothes don't fit any differently. No, I don't feel "healthier". If anything, this is proving that I wasn't eating that badly to begin with (despite having gained 50lbs in the past 2.5yrs), although I HAVE drastically reduced my carb intake.

For the first week, I was slowly, consistently seeing the scale go DOWN. Then, it went UP 2 days in a row (over a pound). Then it started going down - now it's gone back UP again the past 2 days. I have a LOT to lose. I KNOW "this is about health, not a number on the scale" but come ON - you KNOW you want to see some pounds dropping off as a result of a LOT of hard work.

OK - enough whining for now. I just wanted to point out that I have NOT been half-a$$ed about this - I have been 100% committed, you can see from my food diary that I'm eating a great balance of healthy foods (not starving myself) and have had REASONABLE expectations. I'm just so incredibly discouraged. I feel like taking back a big part of my life and not focusing on this so much - just being more aware of what I eat and getting to the gym 3-4 times/week, instead of re-working my entire life to get there EVERY DAY. Have I SCREWED myself by going EVERY day? If I stop now, will I actually GAIN weight? Ugh... Sorry - VERY bad day for me. I'm sure that SOMEONE out there is going to tell me to stop whining and suck it up. That helps tremendously...

FYI: It does not appear that you are eating enough. You should be withing 100 cals or what MFP suggests for you, including eating back exercise caloires.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Eating calories back is highly individual. If you're hungry, eat some. If not, don't force yourself.

As for estimating calories, machines are notoriously bad for that. My elliptical tells me I've burned 1,000 calories when my Polar heart rate monitor is saying 400.

A friend of mine was on the treadmill the other day and it told her (she's 120 pounds) that she burned 500 calories in two miles of running. That's not even possible based on the laws of physics! lol

If you really want to be as accurate as possible, a chest strap heart rate monitor is a great investment. If you're not going to eat them back, though, it doesn't matter.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options

3)Weigh yourself every morning when your stomach and bladder are empty. When your weight loss slows down, raise your net calories for the day. (Some disagree about weighing daily but it is the only way to know when to make an adjustment.)

I disagree with this. I've seen a 5-pound difference day to day simply based on how much sodium I had the night before. Weighing once a week at the same time gives a much better picture of weight loss. Weighing daily can drive a person (especially someone new to this) absolutely crazy.

I disagree as well. It WILL drive you nutts!!!!!!!!
  • reidhome
    reidhome Posts: 26
    Options
    Yep - I'm a daily weigher... I can't help myself - I feel like I'd rather KNOW (before I get WAY off track) which direction I'm headed in, so I'm accountable. I get weighed FIRST thing in the morning, after restroom, wearing NADA. So, it's very static. But, if ya can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Maybe I should just weigh myself once per week. We shall see. I'll be FORCED not to weigh when we are on vacation for 19 days. Ugh. THAT has me feeling pretty stressed out! :-/
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've loved reading all the responses on this thread. I lost three pounds per week for the first three weeks and have been steadily losing two pounds per week since then. I weigh myself every day, but my "official" weigh-in is Tuesday morning. That's the only day I do a "check-in" here on the site and change my weight. The way the scale's been looking so far this week, I have a feeling that tomorrow morning I'll only be down one pound instead of two and this thread has really gotten me out of the disappointment I was already letting myself sink into. Thank you, everybody!

I looked at your diary and I wonder if eating more regularly would help? Nothing scientific to base that on, but I seem to feel better when I spread the calories out more evenly. Obviously, there will be days where that just doesn't work for one reason or another, but it's a goal for me. Good luck to you! Keep up the great work!
  • tjnd88
    tjnd88 Posts: 26
    Options
    Agreeing with others....don't weigh every day. Once per week at the same time is enough (i do it first thing Friday morning).

Try to be at 1200 net calories whenever you can.

Hang in there....you are actually making steady progress !
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Why do you think it goes down for a few days, then UP for a few? I just don't understand.... =(

First off, 4lbs in 2.5 weeks is FANTASTIC!

Second, what you stated above is TRUE for MOST people. My weight can flux by as much 5 - 7 lbs in a single day. Now you KNOW there is no way that I consumed an extra 3500cals/lb x 7 lbs in a single day...DID NOT HAPPEN, yet that is what the scale says! "experts" claim it is normal to flux 2-3lbs throughout the day (hence why you should always weigh at the same time of the day) I know it's tough but try NOT to weigh yourself everyday (especially since you KNOW your weight is varying). It's just easier not to drive yourself crazy.

Third, 2 1/2 weeks is nothing, look at some of these other posts and you will see people who have been fighting this battle for MONTHS even YEARS. You did not gain the extra weight in 2 1/2 weeks and you shouldn't expect that losing it is going to be easier or quicker than you put it on. Give yourself a break! You know you've been working out hard and you know you've been eating healthy...isn't that REALLY what this life change is about???

Finally: You're doing a great job, just hang in there. We'll all be here for you. Big hugs!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I didn't start to see or feel any difference in clothes, body, inches, anything until I got within arm's reach of ten pounds lost. These first 9+ pounds have been TORTURE, and it's taken three months to do it. I read an interesting question by someone on the forums .. they said, "If you never saw a change on the scale, would you continue doing what you're doing?" ... and that has really stuck with me... because this isn't *just* about losing weight (although that's nice and all). For me, changing my habits and really taking care of my body is the #1 priorty. Learning to balance treats and FF with the nutrients I need to be strong and healthy. And whenever I get discouraged about the scale or my size, I just focus on the healthy lifestyle part of it all. I want to be active and out doing things as much as humanly possible, and I can do that as long as I treat my body right, and science says the weight loss will eventually follow.

Also, when feeling discouraged, pop on over to Success Stories and see before and afters. You'll see how long folks took to get their weight off, and it will help you keep perspective.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yep - I'm a daily weigher... I can't help myself - I feel like I'd rather KNOW (before I get WAY off track) which direction I'm headed in, so I'm accountable. I get weighed FIRST thing in the morning, after restroom, wearing NADA. So, it's very static. But, if ya can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Maybe I should just weigh myself once per week. We shall see. I'll be FORCED not to weigh when we are on vacation for 19 days. Ugh. THAT has me feeling pretty stressed out! :-/

The problem with that is you DON'T know what direction you're headed by weighing daily. Your weight is going to be up and down all week, and it may simply be water retention from a tough workout or a salty meal the day before. So, the scale may show you up 2 pounds and you've actually lost half a pound.

See what I mean?

The weekly weigh-ins are a far better picture.

That said, I do step on the scale far more often that I should. However, I ONLY count my Sunday morning weight and don't worry about the rest as long as I'm sticking to my diet and I know I'm doing everything right. I've also been doing this a long time (too long not to be at goal, but hey, I'm human! lol) so I don't get frustrated if the scale is up a little on Wednesday.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Questions:
    - are you really supposed to EAT the extra calories you BURN by working out? I was trying to have that be EXTRA calories off...?
    - MFP set me at 1200 cal/day with a sedentary lifestyle (I sit at a computer all day)
    - I don't track it well on my diary, but I AM drinking 75 - 90oz water per day
    - I have been meaning to, but haven't yet , get VITAMINS - very good point - thanks for bringing it up. Is it B12 that is supposed to be extra good, too?
    - I tend to err on the conservative side on what the elliptical tells me I have burned. It (and the calorie calculator on MFP) say I've burned WAY more than 400 cal in my workout - I just stick at 400 to be on the safe side).

Well the most accurate way for your burn is a HRM with chest strap - but if you think you're "conservatively estimating" - eat close to that (within 100 calories) - but yes, you should be eating what you burn back - MFP's calorie goal has a deficit BUILT IN... therefore you would lose weight whether you exercise or not based on that goal. Exercising has lots of benefits (obviously) - including toning muscle, better self-body image, etc. but due to MFP's built-in deficit, you do have to re-supply your body with those calories.

Oh and sedentary sounds right, and that is a good amount of water per day :)