Fish oil, is it worth the calories?

TrishSeren
TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
My skin professional, (by the way I don't have any skin issues) has recommended I take fish oil. I also have mild depression and anxiety and have heard it can help with that.

Whilst I have tried it in the past (my tummy did not agree with it) I thought I'd give it a go again. Until I realised the recommended dose is 10 capsules a day! That's 120 calories and when I'm on 1,400 a day that's a hell of a sacrifice just for fish oil capsules.

I do eat salmon sushi around once a week anyway, I could eat more oily fish but not really sure how to cook it. I don't even think you can buy mackerel in New Zealand.

Are fish oil capsules worth it really? Do you find it easier to just eat fish?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd be getting higher strength capsules. Have you tried Krill oil? Do you have the Bioglan brand over there? (I'm in Aus). They come in 1000mg strength and the recommended dose is 1-2 capsules per day.

In answer to your question... NO, i would not waste 120 on fish oil supps. The above brand is 10 calories per capsule.
  • TrishSeren
    I'd be getting higher strength capsules. Have you tried Krill oil? Do you have the Bioglan brand over there? (I'm in Aus). They come in 1000mg strength and the recommended dose is 1-2 capsules per day.

In answer to your question... NO, i would not waste 120 on fish oil supps. The above brand is 10 calories per capsule.

Oooo yes we do! Thanks for this :)
  • CealFool
    CealFool Posts: 9 Member
    If you decide to take it, make sure you research what you buy - fish oil is highly perishable and a lot of it comes on to the market already rancid - which isn't going to help anything. When I took it, I liked Barlean's (especially since they can come flavored, if you don't like fish burps), which was a liquid, but I believe there are some other reputable brands on the market as well. Alternately, you could see about upping your consumption of salmon and other fatty fish into your diet - if you're having trouble with supply in New Zealand, maybe look at cans or tins of fish?
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    edited July 2018
    Are you from NZ? We can buy mackerel here in tins at the supermarkets. But yes fish oil is amazing! It’s best to use liquid and use a syringe in mi opinion. My 3yo had a brain injury and fish oil and magnesium is amazing! Without it he becomes anxious, aggressive and gets quiet upset. With these supplements he’s a happy little boy!
    Fish oil is a a good oil! You need the DHA ones. So it’s a good fat!
    We also eat a lot of snapper but that’s just the benefit we have with being able to go fishing.

I was never a natural kind of person but after seeing these results I’m definitely converting! I think fish oils will be amazing if you get depression!
    The one we use is ethical nutrients high strength fish oil adults take 7mls a day. Every 5ml has 4.6g omega 3, 1.9g EPA, 927mg DHA.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've never heard a recommended dose of 10 capsules...
  • TrishSeren
    Are you from NZ? We can buy mackerel here in tins at the supermarkets. But yes fish oil is amazing! It’s best to use liquid and use a syringe in mi opinion. My 3yo had a brain injury and fish oil and magnesium is amazing! Without it he becomes anxious, aggressive and gets quiet upset. With these supplements he’s a happy little boy!
    Fish oil is a a good oil! You need the DHA ones. So it’s a good fat!
    We also eat a lot of snapper but that’s just the benefit we have with being able to go fishing.

I was never a natural kind of person but after seeing these results I’m definitely converting! I think fish oils will be amazing if you get depression!
    The one we use is ethical nutrients high strength fish oil adults take 7mls a day. Every 5ml has 4.6g omega 3, 1.9g EPA, 927mg DHA.

Thanks! What supplement do you use? Glad to hear you've found it useful for your 3yo :) brain injuries are not fun!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    What on earth kind of dose are you taking that requires 10 capsules? I take 1200- 2000 mg (2-3 capsules) which runs me 30-50 calories and it's absolutely worth it to me. I take it for mild/moderate depression and I don't feel amazing on it, but when I forget or run out & don't have more in the house, I really notice it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    I take nordic naturals fish oil, tasteless. I give it to my dog, too. I started taking it for all kinds of reasons. Vision, hair, skin...some brands are better than others. Can I tell a difference, ayup. It's the one thing I won't give up and every calorie is absolutely worth it. But I've never heard of a medical doctor recommending more than the optimal daily dosage.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I take with food; never had tummy issues or fish burps.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Carlson-Labs-Wild-Caught-Super-Omega-3-Gems-1-200-mg-100-30-Soft-Gels/2799

2 capsules = 20 calories

7313eeb423f05fcbcda67b21aac52188.png
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    After my car accident, my neuro recommended high dose fish oil to help recover from a brain injury. I was taking Alterra Neuromega - Omega 3 5000mg 1tsp = 41 calories/5gr fat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Typically fish oil dosage is 3 capsules a day. Make sure it is a good quality fish oil. Fish oil is very good for you. The cardiologists at my job recommend it to almost everyone.
  • TrishSeren
    try2again wrote: »
    What on earth kind of dose are you taking that requires 10 capsules? I take 1200- 2000 mg (2-3 capsules) which runs me 30-50 calories and it's absolutely worth it to me. I take it for mild/moderate depression and I don't feel amazing on it, but when I forget or run out & don't have more in the house, I really notice it.

That's what the tub says, but I haven't because I don't think I can stomach that many.
  • TrishSeren
    Mari22na wrote: »
    I take nordic naturals fish oil, tasteless. I give it to my dog, too. I started taking it for all kinds of reasons. Vision, hair, skin...some brands are better than others. Can I tell a difference, ayup. It's the one thing I won't give up and every calorie is absolutely worth it. But I've never heard of a medical doctor recommending more than the optimal daily dosage.

The doctor didn't advise a dosage, the tub says 10 a day.
  • Christine_72
    I give it to my dog, too.

I pierce a capsule in my dogs food every second day. It's great for their skin/coat and joints.

• TrishSeren
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I take with food; never had tummy issues or fish burps.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Carlson-Labs-Wild-Caught-Super-Omega-3-Gems-1-200-mg-100-30-Soft-Gels/2799

2 capsules = 20 calories

7313eeb423f05fcbcda67b21aac52188.png

Thanks, looks like I can get that one here in NZ too.
  • Christine_72
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Can i ask what brand and how many mgs per capsule?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    4 grams/day omega-3 ethyl esters in the usual Max daily dose...are you & your MD doing math correctly (on the same page as far as what specific product he/she wants you to use as an omega-3 that is 10 caps/day)? I'm sensing some overkill...less is more
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2018
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Can i ask what brand and how many mgs per capsule?

^^^This. How many mgs are you taking, not how many capsules.

This prompted me to look at my label more closely, and now I'm really confused. I was going by the mg of the capsule and not the mg of the Omega 3s. That means I've only been taking 720 mg of Omega 3s, and am I correct that that's the number that matters?

Sorry for jumping on you about dosage, OP! Apparently I don't know what I'm doing, either :( But I would still gladly take the calorie hit for the help it gives me with my depression.
  • TrishSeren
    4 grams/day omega-3 ethyl esters in the usual Max daily dose...are you & your MD doing math correctly (on the same page as far as what specific product he/she wants you to use as an omega-3 that is 10 caps/day)? I'm sensing some overkill...less is more

She didn't say a specific brand, the dosage is what is recommended on the tub.
  • TrishSeren
    edited July 2018
    9rn6692ff60n.jpg

These are the directions, it says for skin health 10 capsules a day. They're 1000mg capsules with 300mg of Omega 3