Lifting weights

Options
seeing alot of transformations online of weigh loss by lifting weights I thought it would bulk you up, I don't know where to even start as I'm not confident yet going to the gym . I do walk and started yoga but want see more of a difference in my shape I do have least 4st to lose ....help please

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The common myth of weights causing "bulk" keeps most people away which is sad. The only way to bulk would require a calorie surplus and a progressive lifting routine. If you are female bulking (think Hulk Hogan) can be more difficult since females do not have the natural testosterone required to get that size. Walking is great to get you moving, but don't shy away from the weights. If you are at a gym that has trainers then ask them if they offer a complementary lesson to show you how to properly use the machines and free weights. Best of luck to you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    seeing alot of transformations online of weigh loss by lifting weights I thought it would bulk you up, I don't know where to even start as I'm not confident yet going to the gym . I do walk and started yoga but want see more of a difference in my shape I do have least 4st to lose ....help please

Start by tracking your calories. A food scale is a helpful tool for this. Check out this thread...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Then, if you want, incorporate some exercise that makes you happy. Lifting weights gets most women closer to the body they are looking for.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1120789/females-only-lifting-weight-training-results/p1
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am using the HASfit videos on YouTube with dumbbells I bought at Walmart 2-3 times per week.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If getting muscular was easy you would see alot more of it at the community pool. What do you see at the community pool?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't make you bulky. Common misconception. The people that are "bulky" tried to get like that from years of eating in a surplus and lifting as heavy as possible. I've been lifting for almost 4-years and am not bulky at all, in fact I'm trying to get bulky and it's a lot harder than people make it seem. Get on a program, or invest in a trainer or fitness-enthusiast buddy to keep you accountable and teach you the ways around the gym. Or just do your research and walk into the weight room like you own the place if you don't have access to the other things. Start with the basics and don't be afraid to ask other weight lifters about the movements they're doing. Most are willing to help and assist.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I work out with dumbbells in my basement. I'm not body building; just trying to hang onto as much muscle as I can while I lose weight. What I've observed:
    • Increased strength
    • Better posture
    • Better shape to my arms and legs. Some slight muscle definition, especially in legs and shoulders
    • (According to the OR recovery unit nurse) Some pretty strong trunk muscles. They're hiding under my belly fat, but apparently being able to sit up easily after bladder surgery isn't a given for a lot of people

Bulking doesn't happen easily for women. For women trying to lose weight, it's almost impossible. Basically, you lose fat in a calorie deficit. You build muscle in a calorie surplus. But even in a calorie deficit, existing muscle can be preserved and strengthened.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just do it! The body needs resistance for growth. We wither and die without resistance. This is one issue where everything lies in the pro column and literally nothing ends up in the con.

Bulking is challenging for anyone. Requires years of disciplined dieting and exercise - essentially prioritizing body aesthetics over all else. Ever see a competitive body builder off cycle? They look like everyone else.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lifting while losing weight is going to preserve the muscle you have now and have positive affects on your body composition when you get to goal. While bulky is subjective, you won't build enough muscle in a deficit to put on significant amounts of muscle. Even in a surplus for a woman it can be difficult.

If you are looking for a beginner program to follow, start here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1